Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What else do we collect?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I noticed it. I figured you were just trolling around with nonsense.
    Nope, not trolling... If I admit to using the "collection" word, it's because there are no alternative word (in either French, Spanish, English or Dutch) that would make a nuance/shade between a pile of books or CDs that has been acquired here and there without any kind of intention or hobby, and another pile of stuff that has been amassed strictly with the intention of buidling a large selection to be displayed (models, electric trains, exhaustive music/movie memorabilia, etc...)

It's even kind of strange, but whatever collection I might have started as more of a hobby, (and stopped fairly soon afterwards), I never spent nearly as much time or intent than I do for discovering new (to me) litterature or music... Actually, the very thought of actively searching in garage sales or second-hand stores in search of a particular object is actually almost a turn-off for me (yes, even for that elusive early 70's gem that's escaped my radar for the better part of four decades)... If I still find a beer coaster or a deep blue glass bottle for my GF (yup, she collects those as well) to add up to these "collection", it's because I fell upon it by accident, not by design

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I think what people are "bristling at" is not what the "collection" is called, but the underlying motivation. In other words, do we "collect," or form a "Collection," out of a clearly understood desire to have a "collection?" Are we "Collectors?" Or are we lovers of some sort of object or other...i.e., are we "Music lovers?"

To others, my ridiculous amount of CD's, CDR's, vinyl, cassettes, is a "collection." I don't usually think of it that way...but others have called it that, and I accept that definition. Same with my books--I have a LOT of poetry books, for example, but I don't "collect" like some do...I know people who have multiple editions of the same book, for example....or people who have copies of books (or music media) they don't value highly, subjectively.
    yup!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I used to have a lot of pipes
    I have only one pipe. But it has a nice collection of resin.

I've kept every issue of a monthly British music magazine,The Wire,since I bought my first one in 1984.I've lost a few over the years(moving,friends who borrowed an issue and never returned 'em).I don't have every issue but I do have most of them.I like to peruse back issues every once in a while.Every year I make a resolution to organize the magazines, but somehow I never get around to it.

Same deal with my National Geographic magazines.
    Last edited by walt; 07-19-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I guess you would have to call my books a collection. I have a terrible habbit of never finishing reading them, and have several I've never read a page of. And with me, it's always one and done, I read it once and never again. OK, a couple music biographies I've gone back and re-read a few parts. That's it, never had the desire to re-read a novel. Don't like novels much anyway, which is why most of my books are biographical or historical in nature.

I don't know whether my music is a collection, an archive or a library. Perhaps all three.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I think yanks has hit on another important aspect of the Collection; the purpose of the items collected is to display the fact you have them and not to use them for whatever they were originally intended to do. This can be the subtle difference in media collections as to whether it's, "Hey, I have a sh!tload of albums!!" or, "Hey, look at my record collection. Don't touch it. You've seen enough..."

I used to collect first edition books (many signed) of horror, science fiction, mystery and modern lit. Still have them. Also DVDs or Blurays of film noir, neo-noir, German Expressionism and Silent Film. Musically I only "collect" a very few artists where I look for everything that was released by them. Albums, singles, promos and compilation appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Also DVDs or Blurays of film noir, neo-noir, German Expressionism and Silent Film.
    F. W. Murnau fan?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    F. W. Murnau fan?
    Yes. I have Nosferatu, The Last Laugh, Sunrise and City Girl on DVD or Blu. Laugh and Sunrise are fantastic films. I need to get the new Blu of Tabu and DVD of Faust.

I collect too much stuff, I'm sort of a troll for that and media stuff: books, CDs, DVDs, VHS (yes, still hanging onto those), plastic models, magazines (looking for books on monsters like Famous Monsters of Filmland or books like that, any suggestions?), toys (I like the SF, horror variety), the Travel Channel's show Toy Hunter is fun to watch if you haven't seen it, antiques, old wooden boxes--I plan to make some assemblage art work out of them, we'll see, figurative ceramic-type mugs, etc. I like Antique Roadshow, and the History Channel's American Pickers, which stokes my collector's mentality.

Does anyone have any links/sites that they enjoy going to that showcase collections? This is a collection of photos on Flickr that a guy took of his model car collection, amazing attention to detail: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2479674...th/2346008881/

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Yes. I have Nosferatu, The Last Laugh, Sunrise and City Girl on DVD or Blu. Laugh and Sunrise are fantastic films. I need to get the new Blu of Tabu and DVD of Faust.
    I just saw Sunrise last week, kind of a cool film. Wasn't expecting the humorous bits, but they added a lot to the film. Still wonder why she would forgive the husband so quickly, no matter how much remorse he showed. But it would have been a short film if she didn't. Can't say I have a desire to watch much from the silent era, but on occasion they can be enjoyable for me to watch. I recorded several from Turner Classic Movies, along with dozens of other old classics. I have about 60 or so old films still on my DVR, and all commercial free, which is what I love about that network. I'm mostly filling the huge gaps for films I somehow missed out on in my lifetime.

Band/artist t-shirts. at this point: Howlin' Wolf, Louis Armstrong, Dream Theater, Fu Manchu, Albatross Overdrive, Zombie Ghost Train (now defunct), The Doors, Explosions in the Sky, SCOTS, Reverend Horton Heat, Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, Karma to Burn, Sunn.
    Last edited by davis; 07-23-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Actually, I'll be quite happy to buy their (unlikely >> I'm pretty sure they've broken up)) fourth album (as long as they didn't veer metal, disco or techno)... maybe an archives live album (Steve F???)....
    they are rehearsing at the same place as eskaton !! so i'm pretty sure they are still alive !!!