Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious News Anchor Gaffe

Hilarious News Anchor Gaffe

It's beyond me how this got by them... especially seeing it written out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JYHNX8pdo

Apparently it was confirmed for them by some summer intern at the air-safety bureau (or equivalent). Way to fuck up your chances of getting a job, dopey!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Nice, lets blame the intern! They have show editors and a director, and the moron reading the teleprompter, got past all of them too. Ho Lee Fuk, just too freaking funny!

Ho Lee Fuk is obviously Won Hung Lo's cousin.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

And this, ladies & gentlemen, is the medium that provides the nation with its news.

We're better off just looking out our own windows. Sheesh!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Still think it's a hoax...

But if not....

Well I'd first blame that dumb anchorwoman for not realizing after pronoucing the first name

Better yet, what news interest is the names of the pilots (and on top writing it down), anyway??

this could be close to a diplomatic incident (some form of racism, maybe) if it's any true that it did happen...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    this could be close to a diplomatic incident (some form of racism, maybe)...
    The lawsuits are being filed as we type & read.

People of Asian ancestry see racism (as a modern day form of stupidity).

Lawyers see $$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Nice, lets blame the intern! They have show editors and a director, and the moron reading the teleprompter, got past all of them too.
    Indeed. Incompetence at its highest form.

It's not a hoax.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You are 100% wrong.

SOURCE

The TV anchor who unwittingly broadcast fake, racist names of the pilots flying the ill-fated Asiana Airlines Flight 214 issued an apology Saturday as debate over the incident continued.

The segment on Friday at noon that referred to two of the pilots as "Captain Sum Ting Wong," and "Wi Tu Lo," has gone viral and drawn heavy criticism on the Internet.

"Apologies to all upset by a story on Noon News. A serious mistake was made @KTVU," anchorwoman Tori Campbell wrote on Twitter. "My thoughts are w/ victims of Flt 214 & families."

In a statement read on KTVU-TV on Friday night, anchor Frank Somerville said the station made several mistakes.

Somerville did not say how exactly the station got the names.

But "we never read the names out loud, phonetically sounding them out" before going on the air, he said.

Late Friday, the National Transportation Safety Board acknowledged that a summer intern confirmed the names to KTVU when a reporter from the station called about them.

"Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft," the NTSB said in a statement. "Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated."

Somerville said the station didn't properly verify who at the NTSB was confirming the names.

The hoax prompted outrage from some Asian American activists and a journalism organization.

"Words cannot adequately express the outrage we … feel over KTVU's on-air blunder that made a mockery of the Asiana Airlines tragedy," wrote Asian American Journalists Assn. President Paul Cheung and MediaWatch Chair Bobby Caina Calvan. "We are embarrassed for the anchor, who was as much a victim as KTVU's viewers and KTVU's hard-working staff."

The two said KTVU should explain where the names originated.

In a letter to Tom Raponi, KTVU/KICU vice president and general manager, retired KTVU reporter Lloyd LaCuesta, an Asian American Journalists Assn. member, said he was saddened by the airing of the prank names.

"Common sense indicates that simply sounding out the names would have raised red flags," LaCuesta wrote in the letter.

Two teenage girls from China and another passenger were killed and more than 180 people injured when the Boeing 777 clipped a sea wall and slammed into a runway July 6 at San Francisco International Airport.

Asiana Airlines has identified the pilot and copilot as Lee Kang-kook and Lee Jung-min.

The KTVU newscast was captured in a video posted to YouTube in which the station displayed four incorrect pilot names on the screen and an anchor read them aloud.

"The NTSB has confirmed these are the names of the pilots aboard Flight 214 when it crashed," the anchor said. "We are working to determine exactly what roles each of them played during the landing on Saturday."

Another YouTube video showed an apology read by the same anchor.

"These names were not accurate despite an NTSB official in Washington confirming them late this morning," the anchor said. "We apologize for this error."
    The station issued a statement Friday afternoon acknowledging it had "misidentified the pilots involved."

"Prior to air, the names were confirmed by an NTSB official in the agency’s Washington, D.C., office," the statement posted on the station's website said. "Despite that confirmation, KTVU realized the names that aired were not accurate and issued an apology later in the newscast."

"We sincerely regret the error and took immediate action to apologize, both in the newscast where the mistake occurred, as well as on our website and social media sites," Raponi said in the statement. "Nothing is more important to us than having the highest level of accuracy and integrity, and we are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Originally Posted by Trane
    It's not a hoax.
    then, I'm even less reassured about our western civilization...

Why fucking print the names and put them up for so long on the screen
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Why fucking print the names and put them up for so long on the screen
    It gets even better. Last Monday they posted an article about themselves being the first tv station to cover the plane crash. Here is an excerpt:

“Being first on air and on every platform in all aspects of our coverage was a great accomplishment, but being 100% accurate, effectively using our great sources and social media without putting a single piece of erroneous information on our air, is what we are most proud of as a newsroom,” said Lee Rosenthal, KTVU News Director.
    Read the entire piece where they are stroking themselves amidst the tragedy:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/online/home...s-fligh/nYjT9/

KTVU is in San Francisco/Oakland if I'm not mistaken. Wow, a city with a large Asian population and one of the local stations does something this bone headed. At least it didn't happen in Florida, then you'da all had a field day.

This sums it all up:

“Being first on air and on every platform in all aspects of our coverage was a great accomplishment,

Yep--puffery gone "wong" --sorry guys

my son read this out last night to us, it does beggar belief that it got through.

This is just too funny. Too bad she mispronounced the FUK. This was what punking is all about! I love the fact that they take themselves so seriously. Les Nessman would be so proud.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It's not really an anchor gaffe, but an incompetent newsroom and/or producer. An anchor gaffe wouldn't have gotten its own graphic screen.

Having worked a bit in broadcasting, the on air talent has to trust the production team supporting him/her. When you're live on air, reading from a teleprompter, you're not reading ahead and thinking about the content of what you're reading. You're focused on the performance. You have to trust that you are given good copy.

That said, I bet it will be a long time before that anchor trusts anything put in front of her.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

^ And we, the American viewing public, should take even longer to trust anything out of the mouths of the talking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    It's not really an anchor gaffe, but an incompetent newsroom and/or producer. An anchor gaffe wouldn't have gotten its own graphic screen.

Having worked a bit in broadcasting, the on air talent has to trust the production team supporting him/her. When you're live on air, reading from a teleprompter, you're not reading ahead and thinking about the content of what you're reading.
    This is why most anchors have no respect. There's no reason why you can't "think about the content of what you're reading."

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "The airline called the report "demeaning" and said it was "reviewing possible legal action."

On Monday morning, the airline seemed to have a partial change of heart, at least concerning the NTSB. Airline spokesman Na Chul-hee said Asiana has retained a U.S. law firm to file a defamation claim against the TV station. But, he said, the company didn't have plans to file a separate suit against the NTSB."

Naturally! Ha-ha! Ok, enough already, we get the joke!

This actually sounds like someone played a joke on the intern and it backfired, or worked too well.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is why most anchors have no respect. There's no reason why you can't "think about the content of what you're reading."
    Well, try deep processing a text while reading it aloud, while at the same time making eye contact with yourself in a mirror and see if you get professional results.

If you're going to go over your copy with an editorial eye, you'll need to do it before you get on air - taking five or ten minutes to go over it before that red light goes on. But then that five or ten minutes has to be taken with enough buffer time to change the copy, and then read it again. You'll also have to make production decisions if a particular segment winds up going long or short because of it. This comes at the expense of all the other things that are done in the run-up to a live broadcast. Usually, the producer worries about all these things, and the talent doesn't have to. The talent can focus on getting their performance right, because on live television they only have one shot at it.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Well, try deep processing a text while reading it aloud, while at the same time making eye contact with yourself in a mirror and see if you get professional results.
    This is my point - a professional should be able to do this - it's what they do!

I'm not a news broadcaster. But I'd like to think that if I was, I'd be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

I'm not absolving all of the other parties you mention from blame, but I'm not absolving the "talent," either.

"performance"

You can pretty much tell as she reaches the end of the list of names that she realizes she's been reading fake names, but at that point there's not much that she can do.

You can say, "please forgive us, evidently this got by our production team," or something similar.

Anything to make sure your viewership doesn't think you're a complete imbecile.

"Sorry, we're idiots."