Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rush- Clockwork M'fing Angels one year on

For me, Clockwork Angels still works and I think it's one of Rush's best albums (and sadly, their last album). I love "Caravan", "The Anarchist", "Carnies", "The Wreckers", "Headlong Flight" & the title track.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I still think it’s one of the best “swansong” albums ever. The fact that “The Garden” is the last song on the last Rush record with those lyrics in light of what later befell Neil Peart just gives me chills.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I like the album and think it is a great farewell of one of my favourites bands.Have no issues with the vocals in the studio,live is where I think Geddy struggles.

They could have jumped right from Presto to CA as far as I'm concerned. Glad they went out on a high note.

Still in regular rotation along with the live album/DVD from that tour. So much vibrance in that era. Not at all like R40.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Was Neil sick while they were working on CA, or while they were on the subsequent tour, or did he become sick after that? I never really knew, and didn't want to even find out, until now.

I wasn't really bothered about CA initially, but I have just had another listen and it is actually pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was Neil sick while they were working on CA, or while they were on the subsequent tour, or did he become sick after that? I never really knew, and didn't want to even find out, until now.
    After that. He did have other physical ailments throughout the tour, but his illness came later.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I still think it's their best album since Power Windows. Caravan, Headlong Flight and The Garden are top-shelf Rush songs in my book. The only one I'm not crazy about is "Wish Them Well", can't take that screechy wish them well that sounds like it's Pro-Tooled into every chorus and they have to have that part on a tape when they do it live; wish they would write stuff that didn't involve triggered guitars, voices and samples to perform live. But I don't listen to the album as often as I would like because of the clangy, noisy production.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Tonight I spun the album for the first time in a (little) while. That pre-chorus in Headlong Flight where it's just Alex's chords... I mean, wow. Just. F***ing WOW. My boys.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did they JUST publish this review? Anyway, M'f!

^ No, it was published in 2012.

The eons are closing
    CmfA gets plenty o love in Casa MudShark and my son in law has recently converted to its excellence - always post to support this disc.

My personal Rush timeline goes from Counterparts straight to CmfA. ;-)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

It's aged well.

I can’t make it through The Garden without melting down. So poignant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I can’t make it through The Garden without melting down. So poignant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That song/album came out shortly after my Dad died - its still perhaps the most emotionally moving Rush song especially since Neil passed away.

I don’t get the love for this album. The production is unbearable, crushing compression and booming bass. I get exhausted after just a few minutes listening. They really lost the plot, production-wise, in their later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    I don’t get the love for this album. The production is unbearable, crushing compression and booming bass. I get exhausted after just a few minutes listening. They really lost the plot, production-wise, in their later years.
    I never had a problem with the production on Clockwork Angels.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I have to agree that sonically is does not sound that great and Geddy's voice is really strained in places too.

The production is very modern, compressed, and not exactly warm and fuzzy. Its almost shocking if you go back to Fly By Night and Caress - the drum sounds alone on those are truly amazing. I have to say that the music is quite good to great, and is by far my fav "modern" Rush album, possibly since Roll the Bones.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It’s still my favorite post Grace Under Pressure Rush album.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    It’s still my favorite post Grace Under Pressure Rush album.
    That would be Power Windows for me. But I think I like it better than Presto, and then from Counterparts on through. I do dig some tunes, but late Rush doesn't connect like the olde days. CA comes close though. I've been addicted to Signals and Grace Under Pressure for months now.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm a dinosaur, I first saw Rush on 2112. I listened closely to all their albums prior to Moving Pictures and only heard radio hits since this time. I likely need to take off the blinder and explore more. I'm not a fan of CA though.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ No, it was published in 2012.
    Never mind, it says “Published two days ago” for some reason.