Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rush- Clockwork M'fing Angels one year on

Not digging it. I at least liked S&A for a month or two (and I still love Far Cry) but this one didn't m*fing click from the git-go.

Its better tham snakes and arrows, a ton better than Vapor Trials. About on par with Test for Echos, Counterparts, and Presto I guess. The songs are not as dynamic or memorable as those from the 70s and 80s, but there are some good hooks and fair guitar solos, and it rocks pretty hard!

a year already, i haven't played this one as much as past Rush albums.

Saw Rush a month ago in Quebec City. Great show, top production. Excellent performance by the three musicians who seemed to enjoy themselves. They played 9 songs from the last album and I really enjoyed most of them. Geddy's voice was very good, as usual. Saw the band several times and this year it was one of the best!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Its better tham snakes and arrows, a ton better than Vapor Trials. About on par with Test for Echos, Counterparts, and Presto I guess. The songs are not as dynamic or memorable as those from the 70s and 80s, but there are some good hooks and fair guitar solos, and it rocks pretty hard!
    I would put CMFA behind the '70s albums, P Waves, and MP, and in front of everything else.

I like it but I'm a Rush geek and my opinion can't be trusted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I like it but I'm a Rush geek and my opinion can't be trusted.
    Do you love everything they did for '74 until now?

Pretty much. Some albums take a while for me to really get and VT sounds horrible even to a non-audiophile like me, so it makes listening to it hard, but yeah. I dig them, will always go see them. Even got a bunch of bootleg concerts, still haven't gotten through all of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Probably the quickest I've 'shelved' a Rush studio album in my 30 or so years as a fan (well, except for 'Feedback'). Just haven't been able to get into CA, although I plan on revisiting it before seeing them again in about 3 weeks.
    I love it a year later as much as I did on my first listen. It's definitely my favorite album since Signals. I thought the tracks sounded amazing live the three shows I went to. I'm not sure why some people have a problem with Geddys vocals, as I thought he was great. We do have to remember that's it's not 1985 anymore and he's going to be 60. Rush is those three amazing musicians. They would never consider replacing a member with a guy almost 40 years younger. They would retire first, that's why they are special.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    I love it a year later as much as I did on my first listen. It's definitely my favorite album since Signals. I thought the tracks sounded amazing live the three shows I went to. I'm not sure why some people have a problem with Geddys vocals, as I thought he was great. We do have to remember that's it's not 1985 anymore and he's going to be 60. Rush is those three amazing musicians. They would never consider replacing a member with a guy almost 40 years younger. They would retire first, that's why they are special.
    1985? I thought people were looking for 1980 Geddy?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It's still my favorite overall post Signals Rush album. Still love it.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I've been listening to this album a lot lately, especially at work, and still really loving it. I think it's the best of the Rush2K albums. I'm not wild about "Halo Effect" but otherwise a very strong collection of tunes IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listened to the title track in the car about an hour ago. It's awesome - I love that cool guitar part which follows with it getting all bluesy, and Geddy's voice sounding like he's singing through a traffic cone. They really were willing to try some interesting sonic things on this album, and while it basically fits the Rush mold, it has a lot of cool, different sounds in places.

To me, it's the best thing since Hold Your Fire. The tour was awesome as well.

I might say it's the best since Counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listened to the title track in the car about an hour ago. It's awesome - I love that cool guitar part which follows with it getting all bluesy, and Geddy's voice sounding like he's singing through a traffic cone. They really were willing to try some interesting sonic things on this album, and while it basically fits the Rush mold, it has a lot of cool, different sounds in places.
    Yeah, I love that song. I think it's the best one on the album.

Now that Vapor Trails has been remixed and remastered, that is quickly becoming my favorite album since Signals. I always thought it had good songs but just couldn't listen to that mess. Now I can't get it out of my cd player. It's like we've been blessed with a new Rush album.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Now that Vapor Trails has been remixed and remastered, that is quickly becoming my favorite album since Signals. I always thought it had good songs but just couldn't listen to that mess. Now I can't get it out of my cd player. It's like we've been blessed with a new Rush album.
    I always liked Vapor Trails, despite the fact that it gave me a headache. I've only listened to the remaster once, but I still think that Clockwork MF Angels is the best in a long time. Don't think I'd say since Signals, but it's damned good. I have a friend who's a big Rush fan but wasn't crazy about anything since TfE, so he didn't even bother to buy CMFA. I told him he needs to get it.

Maybe it IS the best since Signals, overall? I love Counterparts, except for a couple of tracks.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I still think it's the best Rush release since Signals.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

although i love the title track, Caravan, The Wreckers & The Garden- i haven't listened to this albums as much as albums in the past. Counterparts was the last great Rush album. i hope they look for a different producer for their next album. the VT remix album was an improvement, but very little. i hear on the radio that their taking a year off... guess there isn't gonna be a 40th anniversary tour. but with all the DVD's out, we can make our own.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    although i love the title track, Caravan, The Wreckers & The Garden- i haven't listened to this albums as much as albums in the past. Counterparts was the last great Rush album. i hope they look for a different producer for their next album. the VT remix album was an improvement, but very little. i hear on the radio that their taking a year off... guess there isn't gonna be a 40th anniversary tour. but with all the DVD's out, we can make our own.
    How about BU2B and Headlong Flight? Both great songs.

For me, it's their best since Power Windows, in other words it's the first Rush album since PW that I like everything on it from beginning to end. Alex really went the extra mile in coming up with some neat guitar textures, and the whole thing is WAY more melodic than the turgid Snakes & Arrows.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Yeah, I still like it a lot. I think the highs of Vapor Trails are still higher, but CMFA is a more consistent album, with few clunkers (can't say the same about VT), with some very good highs of its own.
    flute juice

I've been listening to RUSH ever since RUSH! came out. They have "progressed" right out of my living room. The new stuff, say the last 5 albums, is way overprocessed and sounds weak and a band who has lost it. I don't want to diss them, that is their job, to make recordsing and play concerts. I know a lot of you like the new stuff and that's cool, too. I just prefer the older stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DEG View Post
    I've been listening to RUSH ever since RUSH! came out. They have "progressed" right out of my living room. The new stuff, say the last 5 albums, is way overprocessed and sounds weak and a band who has lost it. I don't want to diss them, that is their job, to make recordsing and play concerts. I know a lot of you like the new stuff and that's cool, too. I just prefer the older stuff.
    Stop living in the past, grandpa!