Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Rock...Prog or Not...

^^Yeah, I've posted about my love for Lu7 a couple of times. Personally I think with 3395 the band made their best (read: most jazz-rocking) album.

I was in Tokyo last week and saw Julia Shortreed perform at a small bar in Shibuya. It was quite excellent, but much more electronic than prog. An example can be found here:

I had gotten interested in her work after hearing her vocals in a song on the OST of a Japanese drama, Watashi wo Hanasanaide, a few years ago (a depressing story, but worth a watch!). It was an amazing coincidence that I was in Tokyo when she was performing last week and that I found out about it.

Julia has another project with two other musicians called Black Boboi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKYfNFDcP20) which I've been getting into, even though this sort of dark electronic music isn't normally my thing.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 12-24-2019 at 10:58 PM.

I am big fan of Matsu Takoko , singer and actress, soft rock with some celtic influences, nice chill out music
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ARC-1171
    RIO band Le* Silo has released their fourth record Yamai

TOKYO JIHEN ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!

NEW ALBUM IN 2020?

Greetings,

This album was featured on the prog floor at Disk Union (Shinjuku) when I was there a couple of months back:

I've only heard it once thus far, but seem to recall it being kind of different and interesting.

Cheers,

Alan

Didn't know this keyboard-player, Ken Aihara, but the following tune of his coming album sounds like a must have for progressive jazz-rock lovers:

The album Multiverse seems to be available as download since last year Februari, but wil now be released on CD too:
    https://ken-aihara.com/en/discograph...ko-djordjevic/

I like this

^^ Interesting music. Reminds me of the work of Ryuichi Sakamoto with David Sylvian and an album I have from Kyoichiro Kawamoto:

(all tracks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Rbb1x_GMdv95eI)

Note that the album Remiscence from 1986 has been rerecorded in 2018: https://www.discogs.com/Motohiko-Ham...lease/12719682

A Tokyo friend just turned me onto Yuragi. Some of the songs from their recent mini-album, "Still Dreaming, Still Deafening," have a post rock feel remniscent of Sigur Ros.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I like this

Thanks again for posting this. The original recording of this album plus the previous one (Intaglio) are very hard to find, so I ordered the two re-recordings from 2018. I like it. Fretless bass over melodic Japanese theme's played in a minimal mode.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    In Februari 2020 a new album of this quartet will be released, called Frontiers. According to the description on CDJapan it will feature singer Yanagi Nagi on all tracks. Not sure if I like that idea.

I just got this album a few days ago, and I think there's only vocals on one track. At least from what I've heard so far, which is only about the first half.

Some really good music too! If you like their other stuff, I think you'll enjoy it. The vocal track isn't bad either.

Also got the Multiverse CD by Ken Aihara, but haven't gotten to listen yet.

Thanks. Dezolve's new album should be here any day now.
    Multiverse by Ken Aihara is a fine mini-album (30 minutes), partly a trio-jazzrocker (lots of piano), but also plenty of guitar-playing and synth-stuff.

“tricot” is a Japanese all-female alternative rock band formed in historical and cultural city Kyoto in Sep 1, 2010. They started to expand their career in Asia, Europe and North America in 2014 and 2015.

The band develops a unusual and distinctive sound that consists harmonization of pop and emotional vocals with that complex rhythm. Although the members are not familiar with math rock and such harmonization is not created on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

“tricot” is a Japanese all-female alternative rock band formed in historical and cultural city Kyoto in Sep 1, 2010. They started to expand their career in Asia, Europe and North America in 2014 and 2015.
    Tricot are pretty fab.

I have lately been enjoying working to Nissenenmondai

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

▲Nisennenmondai are great, I saw them in concert a couple of years ago, the drummer played herself in a transelike frenzy amazing ... btw 00I00 the band of Boredoms drummer Yoshimi Pe-W will be on tour in Europe in spring.
    https://www.songkick.com/fr/artists/520056-ooioo
    Last edited by alucard; 03-07-2020 at 08:07 AM.

I watched a live streamed concert (without physical audience) this morning from Black Boboi, a Japanese "dark" electronic group that I was turned onto after seeing one of its members perform in Shibuya in December. Other than getting up at 7am ET (8pm in Tokyo), it was fun to watch.

I wonder if more groups will do these sorts of live virtual concerts in the Covid-19 era. The cameramen were wearing face masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgki...ature=youtu.be

Jinta la Mvta, also known as Cicala Mvta put on a great online concert earlier today. You can still watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL8Ue-kRK9Y

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Jinta la Mvta, also known as Cicala Mvta put on a great online concert earlier today. You can still watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL8Ue-kRK9Y
    Great stuff, saw Cicala Mvta at RIO, terrific fun
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Excellent !

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    And even more tangentially on the subject, of late I’ve been getting into the music of singer-songwriter Hiroko Taniyama, who I had originally pegged as just another piano-tinkling Yamaha ingenue tapping out romantic kayōkyoku ditties ŕ la Kyoko Kosaka and her ilk. I couldn’t have been more wrong. All it took was someone to compare her to Kate Bush to pique my interest. They’re a little off the mark here, though; she reminds me more of Jane Siberry, if you leached out all the Canadian quirkiness and replaced it with Japanese quirkiness. They both give me the image of a lonely girl with a vivid imagination, coming up with songs on her piano while daydreaming about the world outside her window (Come to think of it, early Kate Bush gave me that feeling too, so maybe the comparison is not so off the mark after all). Anyhow, I mention this because her 1983 album Tanpopo Salad has a most intriguing line-up of musicians, including members of Tipographica and the aforementioned Wha-Ha-Ha.
    Revisiting this post. I have come to a realization that ties in with prog, namely the 80s Japanese ultra-lush prog revival. I always thought that bands like Pageant and Mugen and the like sounded like a mix of The Enid, Renaissance and something, but I couldn’t place what that something was. Now I know that that something was Hiroko Taniyama. Her very arty, orchestrated brand of Japanese pop was obviously a strong influence on that scene (especially her 1981 album, Toki no shojo, which is a freaking masterpiece).

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    ▲Nisennenmondai are great, I saw them in concert a couple of years ago, the drummer played herself in a transelike frenzy amazing ... btw 00I00 the band of Boredoms drummer Yoshimi Pe-W will be on tour in Europe in spring.
    https://www.songkick.com/fr/artists/520056-ooioo
    Nisennenmondai rules. I would love to see them live.

Sad to say, the last Japanese "girl band" I actually saw live was Shonen Knife, supporting Nirvana on the Nevermind tour on 2nd December 1991. They also ruled.

Fuck me. Nirvana was thirty years ago, almost. I'm so fucking old.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Dezolve: very good instrumental stuff

8 Months after this post I could complete my Dezolve-discography. Today I got the debut from 2016. At that moment they were actually a trio, that invited guests on all tracks. On two tracks there's a saxophonist and in all others one guitarist (in one track even two). One of them, Kyoji Yamamoto (releated to drummer Moaki Yamamoto?) also played on an album by Senri Kawaguchi. Current guitarist Shoya Kitagawa only plays on Feeling No Place. Over all this self-titled debut is the most fusion-like CD Dezolve produces so far.

Actually a band from Korea but very close to some bands from Japan great somewhat jazzy Prog with lots of violin.

Roundhouse who developed into some Kind of Show act..