Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Rock...Prog or Not...

The Japanese Zeuhl band Ryorchestra will be on a short European tour in September.
    26th Paris
    27th Munich
    28th Würzburg /Freakshow Festival
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    The Japanese Zeuhl band Ryorchestra will be on a short European tour in September.
    26th Paris
    27th Munich
    28th Würzburg /Freakshow Festival
    Cool! I bought their album direct from the band about a year ago (I think that was the only way to get it). Talented group, and I hope these gigs go well for them!

Major musician of Japanese minimal music, Midori Takada will play 24th of November during the BBMIX festival in Paris
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Dezolve: very good instrumental stuff

Last edited by TheH; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Good stuff indeed. This is their fourth album already. More vids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxE...ya7mu-iP-Il0lQ

Oh, I like the way that sounds. Something new to explore which is always fun.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

New release from the Magaibutsu label(Japan).The band/title is Nyuk.Personnel is Misuru Nasano on electric bass;Tatsuya Yoshida on drums;Kasuhisa Uchihashi and Kido Natsuki on guitars.This page from the Squidco site is all i can find about this release.Short samples are posted on the page.Tasty.

http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant...y_Code=INSTOCK
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Misuru Nasano on electric bass;Tatsuya Yoshida on drums; Kasuhisa Uchihashi and Kido Natsuki on guitars.
    In other words, one-half Altered States and two thirds Korekyojin - wait, is that even humanely possible?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    In other words, one-half Altered States and two thirds Korekyojin - wait, is that even humanely possible?
    Nope, it's an elaborate hoax designed to befuddle and befaddle innocent music lovers....

LIKE YOU!!!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Thanks for posting this one. I ordered it in Japan and just received it. Wow, what a sound! As if Casiopea and Kenso worked on the same tune with their own arrangement and played it together, while Steve Lukather took over on guitar. Overproduced? Hell, yeah, but I like it. 72 minutes of progressive jazz-rock/fusion. There's a guest on this one, saxophone-player Masato Honda, but in most tunes he's on he playes the EWI, adding just another level of synthesizer-sounds. Indeed something to explore further.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    As if Casiopea and Kenso worked on the same tune with their own arrangement and played it together, while Steve Lukather took over on guitar.
    This seriously got my attention. I'm going to have to check this one out then.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This seriously got my attention. I'm going to have to check this one out then.

Thanks!
    This is from Dezolve's previous album, Portray:

^^ It hit me while listening to their album Sphere, they also remind me of Pat Metheny Group -- so this is totally awesome! Thank you for the heads up!

Extremely skilled young guys !
    But it gets a bit too muzak'ish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Extremely skilled young guys !
    But it gets a bit too muzak'ish to me.
    I know what you mean; that's the reason I mentioned Casiopea, a band that also had some heavy jazz-rock moments combined with cheesy fusion-stuff.
    But I think on their latest album the boys from Dezolve have managed to get a good mix and especially with the head-phones on you hear the arrangements are very broad; there's a lot happening.
    I'll wait a while before I decide to buy another CD, which will probably be their third one, their debut for King Records.

I know what you mean; that's the reason I mentioned Casiopea, a band that also had some heavy jazz-rock moments combined with cheesy fusion-stuff.
    But I think on their latest album the boys from Dezolve have managed to get a good mix and especially with the head-phones on you hear the arrangements are very broad; there's a lot happening.
    I'll wait a while before I decide to buy another CD, which will probably be their third one, their debut for King Records.
    Yeah, they could certainly be cheesy at times -- but I actually liked that about Casiopea; it's endearing somehow. That's one band I really unapologetically love.

Their CDs are hard to get hold of in the USA, but I did manage to buy some from various sellers online (at quite a price, sometimes). Very much worth it though. Their music is like a bright summer day. I stumbled across them during a very depressing winter, and that music was exactly what I needed.

Just realized that I have some unused points at CDJapan, so I'm going to try ordering that Dezolve CD from them.

These are the Casiopea-albums in my collection:

Make Up City (LP+CD)
    Thunder Live (LP) - This is my fav.
    Photographs (CD)
    Plays Guitar Minus One - Bitter Sweet (CD-an odd one meant to play along with)
    The Party - Visual Stack (DVD)

These are the Casiopea-albums in my collection:

Make Up City (LP+CD)
    Thunder Live (LP) - This is my fav.
    Photographs (CD)
    Plays Guitar Minus One - Bitter Sweet (CD-an odd one meant to play along with)
    The Party - Visual Stack (DVD)
    Oh nice! I don't have any of those.

Trying to remember the ones I've got... I think I have these:

4x4 (on vinyl)
    Freshness
    Main Gate (my favorite one)
    Inspire
    Marble
    Ta-Ma-Te Box (as Casiopea 3rd)

Really just a small sampling of their discography.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Really just a small sampling of their discography.
    Yeah: https://www.discogs.com/artist/259140-Casiopea

I don't know whether this is "prog" or "rock," but you may like Tricot:

Casiopea is one of those bands that are a big time guilty pleasure. Total cheesy “Weather Channel music,” but I don’t know, they are just so irresistible. Big time chops mixed in with sugar-sweet melodies is a devastating combination. “Asayake” is one of those songs I never get sick of. They put on a great live show (keyboardist Minoru Mukaiya in particular is a real showman), so I recommend checking out some of their videos.

Beware, though, it’s a slippery slope from Casiopea into the currently quite trendy City Pop genre. If this leads you into the likes of Tatsuro Yamashita and Taeko Ohnuki, don’t blame me. Or, I don’t know, totally blame me. Just don’t do so violently.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I just discovered this duo, Kiyo*Sen. It's been around for a while as they already have 4 albums released, but I have never heard of them before. A quick search shows that they were mentioned on other threads, but not on this one. Anyway, worth checking it out. Here is a track from their latest album "Organizer", released last year. Also, worth noting that the drummer, Senri Kawaguchi is only 20 years old. Her solo debut, "A la mode" was released on her 16th birthday. Now, what was I doing when I turned 16th...

And here's a song from her latest solo album, "Cider - Hard & Sweet":

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I just discovered this duo, Kiyo*Sen. It's been around for a while as they already have 4 albums released, but I have never heard of them before. A quick search shows that they were mentioned on other threads, but not on this one. Anyway, worth checking it out. Here is a track from their latest album "Organizer", released last year. Also, worth noting that the drummer, Senri Kawaguchi is only 20 years old. Her solo debut, "A la mode" was released on her 16th birthday. Now, what was I doing when I turned 16th...

Thanks for the heads up! I'm listening to Kiyo*Sen now, and this is exactly my type of fusion.

And she's only 20? Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Casiopea is one of those bands that are a big time guilty pleasure. Total cheesy “Weather Channel music,” but I don’t know, they are just so irresistible. Big time chops mixed in with sugar-sweet melodies is a devastating combination. “Asayake” is one of those songs I never get sick of. They put on a great live show (keyboardist Minoru Mukaiya in particular is a real showman), so I recommend checking out some of their videos.

Beware, though, it’s a slippery slope from Casiopea into the currently quite trendy City Pop genre. If this leads you into the likes of Tatsuro Yamashita and Taeko Ohnuki, don’t blame me. Or, I don’t know, totally blame me. Just don’t do so violently.
    I agree with you on Casiopea. Irresistible is exactly how I would describe them. Although I don't feel guilty about listening to them.

Speaking of City Pop, I just got this in the mail yesterday:

tmp_2F1551985904690-5mx18nockdg-535bdde6b76a8c74699163cf06edd235_2Flita163_retail_LITAOnline_hi-.jpg

Beautiful cover artwork by Hiroshi Nagai too.