Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Rock...Prog or Not...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Considering the guys involved this is most likely more a project than a band. It is an Arcangelo release so it shouldn't be to hard to find.
    Any idea if there are other albums by them? The vid saying new album implies that there is at least one old album, to me anyway.

And hopefully it'll make its way to the shores of the ol' us of a.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Any idea if there are other albums by them? The vid saying new album implies that there is at least one old album, to me anyway.

And hopefully it'll make its way to the shores of the ol' us of a.
    If those find their way to Europe they come at awful prices. I sometimes order in the US which is sometimes cheaper than here (even with p&p).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    NOA is a progressive jazz-rock fusionband that released an album in 1987 and two years ago more or less reunited for a second album.
    Here's a live piece from the second album:

NOA released a third CD October last year, called Journey To Babel.
    The album was made with the same line-up as If Tomorrow Comes, the come-back-record from 2018.
    The tracks on this new disc are all re-arrangements from songs from the first LP Tri-Logic, with the exception of Summer Of Tokyo.
    That song was the only one on which was "sung" and it is replaced by the title-track, which is also a song with vocals. But the singing is so much better than in 1987.

NOA released a third CD October last year, called Journey To Babel.
    The album was made with the same line-up as If Tomorrow Comes, the come-back-record from 2018.
    The tracks on this new disc are all re-arrangements from songs from the first LP Tri-Logic, with the exception of Summer Of Tokyo.
    That song was the only one on which was "sung" and it is replaced by the title-track, which is also a song with vocals. But the singing is so much better than in 1987.
    Interesting. Wish it was all new material, but I may still check it out. I have both NOA albums and enjoy them both, Tri-Logic in particular.

Bill

I honestly hardly recognized the old melodies in those new arrangements ^^^
    The new arrangements include more acoustic instruments like piano and acoustic guitar, including new parts.
    Apart from Cryogenic Combination all tracks are longer than the original versions.
    And besides from what I wrote in post 453 (the exception of Summer Of Tokyo) also Far Side Of The Sun wasn't included on the new CD.

Banned
    Fox capture plan is an instrumental trio formed in 2011 in Tokyo. Their new album titled "Nebula" is a very elegant piano-driven jazz fusion with just a hint of math-rock. Seriously, this album is extremely good.

I honestly hardly recognized the old melodies in those new arrangements ^^^
    The new arrangements include more acoustic instruments like piano and acoustic guitar, including new parts.
    Apart from Cryogenic Combination all tracks are longer than the original versions.
    And besides from what I wrote in post 453 (the exception of Summer Of Tokyo) also Far Side Of The Sun wasn't included on the new CD.
    Cool, I'll check it out!

Bill

Thanks for posting about Fox Capture Plan. They did an interesting soundtrack for a Japanese drama called Quartet in 2017 (featuring the always wonderful Mitsushima Hikari). I was unaware of their new album. The Bandcamp samples sound terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Fox capture plan is an instrumental trio formed in 2011 in Tokyo. Their new album titled "Nebula" is a very elegant piano-driven jazz fusion with just a hint of math-rock. Seriously, this album is extremely good.

Yeah man! I've heard some Fox Capture Plan before because of a Japanese jazz-fusion discord that I hang out on, and they were posted about there a bit. Didn't know they had a new one out, so thanks for sharing!

Mmmm...this is indeed excellent.

Sadly, I can find absolutely zero about 3even the mere existence of this band anywhere.
    Has KAESHIDOME made its way to america yet? Or maybe it was delayed in its release? It's still not even listed on discogs as existing.

Banned
    A pleasant sympho-rock project run by the singer, composer & multi-instrumentalist Tatsu Akiba from Tokyo. Earlier this year, he released a very atmospheric and flawless debut CD called "Swans Dance, Roses Bloom Like Mad". His ideas are interesting, some of them are even great. This album consists of the songs in which Akiba provides some tasty guitar chops, fine acoustic textures, a beautiful violin, recorder & flute, soaring synthesizers, accomplished epic atmospheres and skillful compositional work.

^ Nice. Will buy at some point.

I've been listening to King Gnu recently. The group's music is all over the place, sometimes alternative, sometimes just strange. Their most recent album from last year, Ceremony, has some interesting tracks. The short intro instrumental piece, entitled Opening Ceremony, reminds me of After Crying. Somehow I doubt these guys are familiar with Hungarian prog, but who knows. The group's lead is an entertaining guy named Daiki Tsuneta and one of its other members, Satoru Iguchi, has an amazing falsetto, as demonstrated in the second video here.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Somehow I doubt these guys are familiar with Hungarian prog, but who knows.
    That's OK. The Hungarians are all hipsters anyway.

The second video reminds me in a good way of Dutch singer Valensia:

New record by UZU : Sei ( great Chamber Rock trio, piano , sax & drums)

Last edited by alucard; 07-28-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Has KAESHIDOME made its way to america yet? Or maybe it was delayed in its release? It's still not even listed on discogs as existing.
    bumpy bump

I have to say that the new Korekyojinn is simply outstanding. I find it less dense and more to the point from previous releases, while played with insane ferocity and musical virtuosity at the same time. This music is full of crazy guitar prog riffs, and I would say it could appeal to fans of Rush (era Hemispheres) and early Yes. This particular instrumental - Oval Moon, track no5, is like the best instrumental piece that Yes never wrote and included in Fragile.

Some nice melodic stuff

^^Nice indeed. Their website mentions the drummer was once in Teru's Symphonia.
    https://www.stclaireprogrock.com/

^^Nice indeed. Their website mentions the drummer was once in Teru's Symphonia.
    https://www.stclaireprogrock.com/
    Yes he recorded Fable on the seven Pillows with them :-)

i...really don't want to go digging through 19 pages...was the band Ghost mentioned and what became of them..? nevermind i see they're done. good post; i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    i...really don't want to go digging through 19 pages...was the band Ghost mentioned and what became of them..? nevermind i see they're done. good post; i know.
    Yes, they called it quits seven years ago, but in 2017 they released another live album, Live in Providence 2006.

one final bump then I'll just let it drift into oblivion