Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Rock...Prog or Not...

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    The group of musicians playing on this album is really a "who's who" list. I see Senri Kawaguchi is playing drums on one of the tracks. Speaking of which, she has a new album out "Dynamogenic" and that is really good.

Funny you mention "who's who", as I used the same words in my thankyou-mail to Greg (who also loves this one).
    Nice to see Senri growing up. The amazing child has become a young woman.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Taku Yabuki's Modern World Symphony No. 3 was mentioned in the New Releases Only-thread, but deserves a place right here too.
    Wow, what a fine album this is.

Had never heard him (at least his solo work) before - and agreed - this sounds terrific. Thumbs up on the Senri Kawaguchi mention on the follow-up thread, also. Will need to look that one up.
    Last edited by WJK59; 01-04-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Live DVD by one of my favourite bands from Japan in February

Also new Album by FLAT 122 / IN SPIRIT

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Thanks. I guess we have to keep an eye on https://stellaleejones.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks. I guess we have to keep an eye on https://stellaleejones.bandcamp.com/
    www.diskunion.net already list it, I think there is a good Chance that cdjapan will do so too.

SuperString from Corea

Margaret Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Margaret Maggie

Nice Artwork, also very nice music (at bit to nice for me)

Whatever this is I need it, weirdest recorder stuff ever heard. Name of the band might be KAESHIDOME

^ That is good! Might be a Shakuhachi, rather than a recorder.

Kaeshidome is made up of Yoshida Tatsuya, Nasuno Mitsuru, Isso Yukihiro and Otomo Yoshihide. I recognize 2 of those names from somewhere, but sadly can't be of much help.

Edit: According to an HMV site, Kaeshidome has a new CD out April 21, 2021, which comports with the release date in the video. I would say you are correct, it is KAESHIDOME.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 03-02-2021 at 08:21 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Been listening to this one today, quite nice in a mellow sort of way

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Been listening to this one today, quite nice in a mellow sort of way

Don't find it mellow at all , but had I discovered this three weeks ago, I would've probably paced in fairly high in my top 2020
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Kaeshidome is made up of Yoshida Tatsuya, Nasuno Mitsuru, Isso Yukihiro and Otomo Yoshihide. I recognize 2 of those names from somewhere, but sadly can't be of much help.
    Yoshida and Otomo are for a fact two of the most legendary musicians in modern Japanese music. Yoshida as drummer/composer with Ruins, Koenjihyakkei, Korekyojin, Zubizuva, Musica Transonic, Mainliner, Satoko Fuji and ca. 387 other units, Otomo as guitarist, composer and turntablist with Ground Zero, Optical 8 and ca. 253 others. These guys give ultimo 200+ performances and contribute to a dozen releases each year, work on "serious" art commissions as well as with rock/noise/beyond, and are acknowledged for it globally. Good chaps.

Altogether these two are actually so active in widely various guises of Japanese music that even Ronny Stolp in Sweden, Neil Morp in the US and Steve Milkon in the UK couldn't touch the bare end of their own bottoms in comparison.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Those are the 2, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yoshida and Otomo are for a fact two of the most legendary musicians in modern Japanese music. Yoshida as drummer/composer with Ruins, Koenjihyakkei, Korekyojin, Zubizuva, Musica Transonic, Mainliner, Satoko Fuji and ca. 387 other units, Otomo as guitarist, composer and turntablist with Ground Zero, Optical 8 and ca. 253 others. These guys give ultimo 200+ performances and contribute to a dozen releases each year, work on "serious" art commissions as well as with rock/noise/beyond, and are acknowledged for it globally. Good chaps.
    Nasuno is no slouch either. He's played with Altered States, Daimonji, Fushitsusha, Ground Zero, Korekyojin, Sanhedrin, etc.

I don't know the "other guy" (Isso).

^ True, and Altered States is arguably the single greatest semi-improvising rock trio I ever heard, at least along with (the original) Massacre.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That Isso guy played in Tokyo Rotation which was a band by Bill Laswell and Peter Brötzmann (Caspars' Dad) IIRC.

That Isso guy played in Tokyo Rotation which was a band by Bill Laswell and Peter Brötzmann (Caspars' Dad) IIRC.
    Ouch! Calling Peter Brotzmann "Caspar's Dad" is sort of like referring to Wayne Shorter as "Alan's Brother".

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Don't find it mellow at all , but had I discovered this three weeks ago, I would've probably paced in fairly high in my top 2020
    ...except it’s a 2006 release.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    ...except it’s a 2006 release.
    hey, I knew that!!snooty.gif

Not
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Whatever this is I need it, weirdest recorder stuff ever heard. Name of the band might be KAESHIDOME

Mmmm...this is indeed excellent.

Sadly, I can find absolutely zero about 3even the mere existence of this band anywhere.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Mmmm...this is indeed excellent.

Sadly, I can find absolutely zero about 3even the mere existence of this band anywhere.
    Considering the guys involved this is most likely more a project than a band. It is an Arcangelo release so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

Just got this from CDJapan.
    Very tastful DVD. One hour of beautiful music, shot in a small club (Silver Elephant). Camera's a close to the seven musicians, so you really have the idea you were there. Nice way of introducing the musicians in between the 8 tracks, while there're also some split-screen moments. Very clear stereo-mix: you can hear every instrument very well. It looks like they played one new track, "Russians", here in a different setting: