Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruford on White

Quote Originally Posted by Exit the Lemming View Post
    Agreed, they share a kinship on a par with that of goalies in the soccer world (you have to be slightly mad to be a goalkeeper....etc)

Or motorcyclists. Ever notice the way they usually wave to each other when riding by?

Bruford on White:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    As far as I can hear, they are sharing Brufords drumkit while recording Wakemans first soloalbum (Six wives).
    It makes White sound somewhat Brufordish many places.
    I think that's a typo in the credits as to who plays on which track.

bill (1978): "Alan plays very differently from me; he is good at steaming on all four. Very good timekeeper. Maybe he didn't do the fancy bits I did, but we are radically different and when Alan came in it was a change. I think that now he has worked his own style into the group." Trouser Press
    From "Yesstories - Yes in Their Own Words" - Tim Morse

Was lucky enuff to see them do the drum duet on the Union tour as they only did it on selected shows . Dont think it's on the live DVD\CD either ¿

Wow, a drum duet ala Chester and Phil. That would be cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wow, a drum duet ala Chester and Phil. That would be cool to see.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FwBU7pRQLY

Big Bruford fan but his solos do nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Big Bruford fan but his solos do nothing for me.
    I'd agree except I can't think of that many. I'm sure there's one on an Earthworks album somewhere. You've got the (pretty much awful) solo on "Perpetual Change" from Yesshows. I love his various "Indiscipline" solos, but they feel like part of the song. Duets with Belew on "Waiting Man" were pretty awesome, and his duets with T Lev (in ABWH and on Levin's first solo record) are also good. And "B'Boom" is grooving. Bruford isn't a drummer I associate much with solos. I don't think he played too many outside of Yes and Earthworks.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I'd agree except I can't think of that many. You've got the (pretty much awful) solo on "Perpetual Change" from Yesshows.
    Agreed.

Saw him live with ABWH and it was clinks and clonks on his electronic drums. Horrible.

Love "B'Boom". "Pressure" and "My Heart Declares a Holiday" is also good within the song.

I was really talking when he takes a extended live solo which I dislike. Add to that the Union duet with Alan White. YMMV

Almost more curious to know what Alan White has to say about Bruford...

...and yes, the union drum thing wasnt the most inspired playing Ive ever heard...

// Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    Almost more curious to know what Alan White has to say about Bruford...

...and yes, the union drum thing wasnt the most inspired playing Ive ever heard...

// Mattias
    There was the bit on Yesyears where he mentions having only a few days to learn the material.. "there was some challenging songs like Heart of the Sunrise"... I would take that as a nod towards Bill.. love the drumming on that song.. and regarding drum solo with Alan... not really a fair comparison with Collins and Thompson.. Los Endos screamed for a duet... Genesis hit it out of the park with that song live... Yes doesn't lend itself to drum solo spots other than perhaps the bit in Ritual.. which admittedly while good... went on too long.. when I saw Yes during the years they had Astral Traveler in the set I cringed when Alan when off on his solo... it broke the song in two.. very little flow coming into the solo or going out of it..

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    > (generally speaking with rare exceptions) drummers are the one creature that have mutual respect for each other no matter what style, no matter what skill level, no matter what your background is/was, when you are a drummer/percussionist - you are a member of the family for life! <

I have found this to be true too. And the stories of the "rare exceptions" are often funny, too.
    that is very true each drummer has there own style and voice and skill level and all are different in some way or another Bruford and White are two very different drummers with their own styles

A lovely and melodic solo from Bill. Plus the drums sound fantastic (no bleeping electronics).
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    A lovely and melodic solo from Bill. Plus the drums sound fantastic (no bleeping electronics).
    Forget about this one, which is one of his best.

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    bill (1978): "Alan plays very differently from me; he is good at steaming on all four. Very good timekeeper. Maybe he didn't do the fancy bits I did, but we are radically different and when Alan came in it was a change. I think that now he has worked his own style into the group." Trouser Press
    From "Yesstories - Yes in Their Own Words" - Tim Morse

That might be what I was thinking of since I have(and have read)that book.

Bruford is a far more capable drummer in many respects. This is a universal opinion from most drummers I know. I almost think he and Squire had a sort of one-upmanship in their playing to sort of mess with each other back then... I think they almost were at odds. Whatever it was, they we're brilliant together on those early Yes recordings. Alan White was the happiest drummer I have ever seen, he had a great look for the band back then and seemed to bring some of the high energy to the band. I have agree for the most part that Alan did not add much to the complex beauty of the YES product after Relayer... But on "Relayer" ... on that album Alan out did himself and played like I never heard him play again. There's some parts of Relayer that I am not sure if Bruford would have nearly as dug as deep to create such powerful tracks. Gates and Sound Chaser are two highly technical pieces that I hope we get to cover one day... My hats off to Alan for that early work.....
    God those we're the days for music for me... my God peeling the plastic and opening records like CTTE, Relayer, FOOW, The Lamb, Quadrophenia, The Power and the Glory..... This music imprinted on my mind and helped make me the musician I am today.... "frustrated and confused" !

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    Alan White was the happiest drummer I have ever seen,
    Heh, I know what you mean... Rod Morgenstein is even happier!
    But on "Relayer" ... on that album Alan out did himself and played like I never heard him play again. There's some parts of Relayer that I am not sure if Bruford would have nearly as dug as deep to create such powerful tracks. Gates and Sound Chaser are two highly technical pieces that I hope we get to cover one day... My hats off to Alan for that early work.....
    That's for sure... he ate his Wheaties that week or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    As far as I can hear, they are sharing Brufords drumkit while recording Wakemans first soloalbum (Six wives).
    It makes White sound somewhat Brufordish many places.
    Hmmm. Not to my ears. I can hear BBs signatire "throkking" tone and White's equally distinctive, albeit boxier, snare and toms.
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe