Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruford on White

Bruford on White

I am curious, has Bill Bruford ever made any comments about what he thinks of Alan White and his drumming? I have heard Alan say they got along well enough on the Union Tour and that it was a challange for him to initially learn the material when he joined Yes. I wonder if Bill has commented over the years on Alan's drumming.

Bruford once said that White was the meat and potatoes and Bruford was the hollandaise sauce.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

I read something somewhere and Bruford was highly complimentary of White. Don't remember where though.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > Bruford on White

Peart on Rye

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Bruford once said that White was the meat and potatoes and Bruford was the hollandaise sauce.
    He didn't really, did he? If so, too funny. "He's the Cheez Whiz, I'm the caviar."

I would have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I would have to agree.
    Excerpt Bruford said that in the "Union" period and, because he used his dreaded electronic kit, his playing in those days wasn't as "subtle" as implied by his (otherwise admittedly witty) remark.

Actually no he didn't. He was quoting a review of one of the shows on the Union tour, as a means of explaining who was doing what on that tour. Apparently, Alan was doing most of the heavy lifting, while Bill mostly played percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > Bruford on White

Peart on Rye
    LOL!

Cool! I would have to agree!
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

Bruford/White was the only combination at Union that really worked-- They worked out parts that would compliment each other, with White doing the pounding and Bruford the finesse. Otherwise, Wakeman basically walked all over Kaye, and Howe/Rabin took turns walking all over each other.

Bruford discusses White at some length in his excellent autobiography, and from comments I've heard over the years, the two of them get along quite well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

(generally speaking with rare exceptions) drummers are the one creature that have mutual respect for each other no matter what style, no matter what skill level, no matter what your background is/was, when you are a drummer/percussionist - you are a member of the family for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Bruford discusses White at some length in his excellent autobiography, and from comments I've heard over the years, the two of them get along quite well.
    Indeed, when I saw them leave the venue after the "Union" show I attended, Bruford and White shared a vehicle (no other Yes members with them).

As far as I can hear, they are sharing Brufords drumkit while recording Wakemans first soloalbum (Six wives).
    It makes White sound somewhat Brufordish many places.

Jefferson James
    I didn't know these two swung that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    As far as I can hear, they are sharing Brufords drumkit while recording Wakemans first soloalbum (Six wives).
    As far as I know, Bruford's contributions were recorded long before White's - the tracks with Bruford were recorded while he was still in Yes, and the ones with White once he'd replaced Bruford. So I see no reason why they would be using the same kit. This, plus wasn't the beginning of the 1st track Wakeman's original "solo" contribution to "Fragile", which A&M wouldn't let him use ? So Bruford's playing on it would be from 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    That's the first I've ever heard of that - if it's true, that's very cool!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    GAWD

LOL

I have no evidence what so ever, so I'm probably wrong, but take a listen for yourself.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    No, they would have said Bruford in White

> (generally speaking with rare exceptions) drummers are the one creature that have mutual respect for each other no matter what style, no matter what skill level, no matter what your background is/was, when you are a drummer/percussionist - you are a member of the family for life! <

I have found this to be true too. And the stories of the "rare exceptions" are often funny, too.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    And the stories of the "rare exceptions" are often funny, too.
    One of those exceptions HAD to be Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    (generally speaking with rare exceptions) drummers are the one creature that have mutual respect for each other no matter what style, no matter what skill level, no matter what your background is/was, when you are a drummer/percussionist - you are a member of the family for life!
    Agreed, they share a kinship on a par with that of goalies in the soccer world (you have to be slightly mad to be a goalkeeper....etc)

Both are great drummers. I've met both also.

On the Yesyears video Bruford compliments White by saying he's a good time keeper but doesn't really say much else about him. I kind of figured he was throwing White a bone but based in comments on this thread it seems they actually do respect eachother's playing.