Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LA Weekly's list of 20 worst bands

LA Weekly's list of 20 worst bands

And of course, you knew something prog had to make it in there, although I agree with many of these and vehemently disagree with others. Give it a read.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Didn't we already have a thread kvetching about this article a few weeks ago?!

There will always be people spouting their ignorance like foam from a just-shaken newly opened beer. A wiser man would admit he doesn't understand the music of Fleet Foxes or Rush, but to just assume the music is crappy and that the only reason people like them is that they are ignorant, is just, well, ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Didn't we already have a thread kvetching about this article a few weeks ago?!
    Possibly. If so, I missed it.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Banned
    Is it just my imagination, or did Nickelback not make that list?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Trash-talking bullshit by hipsters on a deadline.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Hang on - they had 20 chances and didn't manage to include Kiss and Queen?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    There was not one Hair Metal band (not even the ones from LA >> the worst kind) that made that list, when they should be at least the majority... Shows you the credibility of the writer

Absolute rubbish...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

At least there wasn't any prog on there.

I liked the part about Dave Matthews Band:

"You want a real American Horror story? Sit in the back of an SUV with off-key sorority house members singing along to Dave Matthews Band. "Dave" is a jam act with no jams. They make Perrier seem vibrant and ethnic. Dave Matthews croons like Kermit with a hangover, for a presumed intended audience of trustafarians and frat bros bonding via hacky sack and horseshoes. Them, and folks whose favorite book is The Da Vinci Code and favorite TV show is Two and a Half Men. They are permanently beige, the sonic instantiation of Ambercrombie & Fitch cargo shorts, South Carolina Gamecocks hats, and flip-flops flailing. -Jeff Weiss"

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    +1

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    There was not one Hair Metal band (not even the ones from LA >> the worst kind) that made that list,
    +1

I don't think they're hipsters - they also published a list of the 20 Worst Hipster Bands. It's even funnier.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoasts...all_time_c.php

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    At least there wasn't any prog on there.
    didn'ty I see Rush in there?? or are you trolling around??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Never even heard or heard of about 50 percent of those on the list.

D t B

It's click-bait. Gets you to sift through several pages while they can charge their advertisers for page views. This is why web sites always spread stories over a couple of pages. The more page views, the more ads that get seen, the more revenue the site generates. With sites like this, they pick a topic that will hopefully go viral and get linked on other sites, thus generating a lot of outrage and thus traffic. Ultimately, they're being trolls. Just ruffling feathers to make a buck.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    didn'ty I see Rush in there?? or are you trolling around??
    Rush is one of my favorite bands, but I don't consider them to be a prog band; not the entirety of their career, anyway. IMO Rush defies labels. They've continually picked up disparate trends throughout their career, yet still make music that can only be described as "Rush."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It's click-bait. Gets you to sift through several pages while they can charge their advertisers for page views. This is why web sites always spread stories over a couple of pages. The more page views, the more ads that get seen, the more revenue the site generates. With sites like this, they pick a topic that will hopefully go viral and get linked on other sites, thus generating a lot of outrage and thus traffic. Ultimately, they're being trolls. Just ruffling feathers to make a buck.
    Shit now I have to question the motives behind every multi-page internet article, but I do like the name click-bait

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I haven't finished it yet (I hate these things where they make you click on a number or arrow to view each entry - don't they know we ignore all internet advertsising, just put it all on one f'ing page!!!), but is LA Weekly (whatever it is) always so racist? White people aren't funky, black people ARE funky. White people like what they're told is cool, etc.

I agree with some of it, but do they really think only a "few" people like Rush?

The Dave Matthews Band description is pretty hilarious. It's a little annoying that their criticism seems aimed at much as people who like the music as at the people who make the music.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Shit now I have to question the motives behind every multi-page internet article, but I do like the name click-bait
    I usually just pass on these things - who has time to sit there and click through 20 pages. Right now, I did have time, but that's because I'm at work. LOL.

I only kept clicking because I was sure Yes would be on it. Happily I was wrong.

I stopped at Hootie and the Blowfish (via Foreigner, Wings and Rush), because the writer is just plain wrong. He should stick to The Smurfs or whatever it is he likes.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I hate Next Page >>

articles that Next Page >>

keep making Next Page >>

you click Next Page >>

Next page Next Page >>

over Next Page >>

and Next Page >>

over

Jefferson James
    My band is writing an album about the twenty worst free magazines found in the greater Southern California area; how's that for a concept?