Thread: Top superior sound quality 5.1 recordings in your catalogue

Top superior sound quality 5.1 recordings in your catalogue

I've been comparing the audio sound quality of my 5.1 disc and have come to the conclusion that these in no particular order stand out considerably more than many of the others

King Crimson Lizard
    Lee Ritenour 6 string theory
    Graham Nash. Songs for beginners
    Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon
    Talking heads Speaking in tongues....especially the alt. version of "Burning down the house"
    Grateful dead American beauty...mainly "Sugar magnolia"
    Steely Dan Goucho

They kind of come across as if they were initially made for multi channel. This also comes with much disappointment as I really wanted to be excited about the Genesis albums in 5.1 especially the Gabriel era but they really don't compare to these. I wish all 5.1 recordings could equal the ones listed.

Toy Matinee in DTS is really nice.

What's the least a person can spend on a quality 5.1 speaker system? I have one but only paid about $130 for it. I have the Doors 5.1 discs and they sound like shit on this system.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    King Crimson, "Larks Tongues in Aspic"
    Steven Wilson, "The Raven That Refused to Sing"
    Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here"
    Steely Dan, "Gaucho"
    Donald Fagen, "The Nightfly"
    Rush, "2112"

I would give my left nut for "Animals" in 5.1.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    What's the least a person can spend on a quality 5.1 speaker system? I have one but only paid about $130 for it. I have the Doors 5.1 discs and they sound like shit on this system.
    I guess you found out the amount of quality from a 130.00 sound system.
    Don't even bother on a 5.1 system if you can't afford about $1,200.00 or more.

Top 10 5.1 recordings in terms of sound quality:
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Porcupine Tree - deadwing
    Beatles - Love
    Donald Fagen 5.1 Box
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
    Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003
    Yes - Symphonic Live
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (DVD-Audio)

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Well, I don't know about that... I have a 7.1 Yamaha receiver that I got for about $250 a few years ago and some low end Polks I got open box at Best Buy for maybe $500 more and it flat rocks. You for sure have to put something into it, but if you shop smart you can do pretty well...

All my Porcupine Tree
    Avalon - Roxy Music
    Toy Matinee

Yes, some good calls here. One of my favorites is Moody Blues Days of Future Passed. I'm blown away how good this sounds given it's age. I can think of quite a few good ones (below).
    I bought a Canton 5.1 set about 15 years ago when I worked for a Canton dealer. I paid about $2500 cost at the time. Best investment ever.

Toy Matinee
    Alan Parsons - On Air
    RPWL - Stock
    PT - In Absentia
    PF - Wish You Were Here
    Beatles - Love
    Hiromi - Time Control
    Bonnie Raitt - Road Tested
    Steely Dan - Gaucho
    Sting - Brand New Day
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Peter Gabriel - Up
    Helmet of Gnats
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

ELP -BSS
    Alice Cooper -Billion $ Babies
    Yes ~Fragile

I'll add one I just received this week. The 40th Anniversary Edition of Lark's Tongue In Aspic is absolutely stunning.

Some nice ones listed here that I don't have and would like to pick up but the prices are outrageous. For example Sting-Brand new day on Amazon is about $90 new. Alan Parson-On Air $50 new. Anyone have a place to shop for these that would be a little cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I guess you found out the amount of quality from a 130.00 sound system.
    So basically, when I get to where I have 1 or 2K to spend on a speaker system, I go to Best Buy and ask for assistance on 5.1 systems. the system we have sounds really good with stereo/mono recordings. Maybe I can save up and get a quality 5.1 system for my 60th birthday.

eBay is a great place to look for 5.1 discs. Also, don't be afraid of the "Vendors also selling" section of Amazon. I got some great used deals there.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    eBay is a great place to look for 5.1 discs. Also, don't be afraid of the "Vendors also selling" section of Amazon. I got some great used deals there.
    Thanks appreciate it!

Well, since most people in the US think MP3 is an acceptable sound, there's not a big market for DTS/SACD/DVD-A here. In Japan and Europe, there still is a market, so anything produced is likely to be an import.
    Here's a couple other online places you can try, but yes, it seems some of the prices have gone much higher. I'm glad I started snapping them up when I did.

Acoustic Sounds
    Import CDs
    CD Universe
    CD Japan
    Amazon UK
    HMV Japan
    Music Direct

I hardly think you can buy any quality speaker system at a big box store. They'll never do the music justice. This is a prime case of you get what you pay for. I would challenge any set of speakers under $2k to be worth a shit. What's the point of spending all this money on high quality recordings if you don't have a system that can properly reproduce it? While that may sound pretentious, it's simply logic. There's so much more joy in hearing this material as good as it can sound.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I hardly think you can buy any quality speaker system at a big box store. They'll never do the music justice. This is a prime case of you get what you pay for. I would challenge any set of speakers under $2k to be worth a shit. What's the point of spending all this money on high quality recordings if you don't have a system that can properly reproduce it?
    Two words: Head. Phones.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Two words: Head. Phones.
    That covers stereo, but not quad or 5.1.
    Chad

They *did* make them:
    They mostly sucked though.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-18-2013 at 07:27 PM.

And only $25. I can't tell, is that less than $2k?