Thread: Barclay James Harvest - Glasnost (2013, 2-CD Esoteric Reissue)

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Barclay James Harvest - Glasnost (2013, 2-CD Esoteric Reissue)

Yesterday I just bought it, and so far I don't regret it. I was not familair with the original CD, but this one has 7 bonus-songs on the original LP-version (5 if you compare with the CD and cassette) but the main thing is the order of the concert is exactly the same as the original 1987 East-Berlin-gig, which they previously mixed up entirely.

Sound is sometimes muffled, I suppose the mastertapes weren't in that good a shape. But the mix is good enough, though also typically of the period. I'm glad Esoteric doesn't really remix their works, but keep the original, in this case 80s, sound intact, no matter how dated that might sound.

Anyone else picked this up? No, I will not stream this on Progstreaming Classic, sorry about that. Vicky might want to, but Cherry Red is not fond of open-streaming. To each his own!

And Vicky, Caught in the Light next please! That one was intended for a double album, and I've been told some tracks were even trimmed to make it fit on 1 CD. So this could be a great Expanded one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    No, I will not stream this on Progstreaming Classic, sorry about that. Vicky might want to, but Cherry Red is not fond of open-streaming. To each his own!

And Vicky, Caught in the Light next please! That one was intended for a double album, and I've been told some tracks were even trimmed to make it fit on 1 CD. So this could be a great Expanded one.
    We dont have the rights to do streaming to here and everywhere --thats the thing about licensing, when we license from the major labels we are only granted rights on physical release, we dont have digital rights, so it is not our "right" to allow streaming etc, the major labels retain the rights. Thats why the vast amount of our titles are not on Spotify etc. We do have a choice on new albums and albums we license direct from artists and Cherry Reds preferred way then is no streaming for 6 months and after that point only streaming with the partners that The Orchard have a contracted arrangement with. Which means that a January title such as Lifesigns will now come up for Spotify (or will do very shortly) Contracts come into play here and Cherry Red have an exclusive contract with the Orchard for digital,there is a logical reason for me saying no to progstreaming, it isnt a matter of "to each his own etc"--its contractual and they are a pretty big label so naturally have these kinds of arrangements in place.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Thanks, Vicky, for clearing that up.Back ontopic now. This 2Cd must have sold pretty good so far, I reckon?

thats ok, I thought you may not have fully understood why I have to say no--we are not "anti streaming" --although I can see why some artists would not be keen and indeed it makes next to nothing for the independent labels either.(the majors are shareholders with Spotify and part owners) I think it has a positive and a negative, it certainly tends to kill off a lot of impulse buying but it can also result in hard sales for those who may just be "casually interested" .

Yes, Glasnost has done well, as have all the BJH reissues, we have a new album out in October with the band called "North"--first in 13 years!

Still waiting on this...