Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WASP- Should I Bother?

WASP- Should I Bother?

I was CD shopping over the weekend, and I saw that they have re-issued all of the classic WASP CDs with a ton of bonus tracks. I wasn't really much of a fan back in the 80s, but I was aware of them because they were on MTV a lot. Should I even bother trying out a CD or two? What is worth giving a chance? What should I stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

A 'best of' should do but I seem to recall the debut album being the best of the bunch.

All IMO of course.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I saw them live once back in the day as the opening act for Metallica on the “Ride The Lightning” tour. I can’t say that I was very impressed. They were ok musicians and Blackie Lawless was an ok front man, but overall it did not make me want to rush out and buy any of their albums.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    A 'best of' should do but I seem to recall the debut album being the best of the bunch.

All IMO of course.
    Their first 3 are all you should need, but I agree that a 'best of' will do. In the '80s I saw them 3 times in concert. They were good live, but they definitely borrowed too much of their stage show from other bands.

Songs of theirs I like:

• Animal (F*ck Like A Beast)
    • I Wanna Be Somebody
    • L.O.V.E. Machine
    • Wild Child
    • Blind in Texas
    • I Don't Need No Doctor
    • The Real Me (The Who cover -- I like W.A.S.P.'s version over The Who version)

Banned
    Having been a music seller back in the day, I remember WASP as being pretty much a joke, especially when considering the alternatives. If you were into androgynous L.A. shit, then you went with G N' R. If you liked Black Sabbath, there was Metallica. But you knew when you held that WASP album in your hands that they were gonna last for about ten minutes. The imagery was so comical that it made no difference what they sounded like. When KISS takes a crap, that's WASP.

I'd say no. This stuff is an IQ dropper.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    And if I want an IQ dropped I'll listen to AC/DC
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just remember the story of Blackie always lighting his codpiece on fire every night during their encore. One night something went wrong and he got burns on his thighs and stomach. Backstage, he told the band as his burns were being treated "you know, if we could write some decent songs I wouldn't have to do this shit." That is WASP in a nutshell.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    There used to be some talk about Blackie having been an exceptional baseball pitcher, and was scouted by the Yankees. Urban legend? Perhaps. Perhaps not. If true, then he made the wrong career choice.

Maybe try Hellhammer instead?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    There used to be some talk about Blackie having been an exceptional baseball pitcher, and was scouted by the Yankees. Urban legend? Perhaps. Perhaps not. If true, then he made the wrong career choice.
    There's no mention of it on his Wikipedia page, which of course doesn't actually prove anything. According to Wiki, Blackie was already playing professionally when he was 19, if not younger. Did major league baseball scout high school students back in those days?

Wow, proggers really seem to hate W.A.S.P ... and this is despite the good response to the hair metal thread. I would say W.A.S.P are way better than most hair bands. The Crimson Idol and The Headless Children are up there with Queensryche's Mindcrime IMO. The Crimson Idol is a testimony to Blackie's talent as he plays most of the instruments on the album.
    I prefer them over KISS and AC/DC any day. Their albums are more consistant than Kiss and there is growth from album to album unlike AC/DC who recorded the same album 50 times. But I guess the haters will continue to hate. Carry on.
    Last edited by sonic; 07-09-2013 at 02:24 AM.

swat it away if it annoys you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just remember the story of Blackie always lighting his codpiece on fire every night during their encore. One night something went wrong and he got burns on his thighs and stomach. Backstage, he told the band as his burns were being treated "you know, if we could write some decent songs I wouldn't have to do this shit." That is WASP in a nutshell.
    Too long for a signature, but it's definitely worth it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Crimson Idol and The Headless Children are both great albums.

I would love a good compilation from these guys. I actually have the first album, got it at a yard sale a few years ago for a buck. Some decent hard rock tunes. Certainly not genius, but good for what it is.

Isn't this what Youtube is for? Try them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Wow, proggers really seem to hate W.A.S.P ... and this is despite the good response to the hair metal thread. I would say W.A.S.P are way better than most hair bands. The Crimson Idol and The Headless Children are up there with Queensryche's Mindcrime IMO. The Crimson Idol is a testimony to Blackie's talent as he plays most of the instruments on the album.
    I prefer them over KISS and AC/DC any day. Their albums are more consistant than Kiss and there is growth from album to album unlike AC/DC who recorded the same album 50 times. But I guess the haters will continue to hate. Carry on.
    Preach on, my man!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The only good reason for being into Wasp is because it's fun to say "Wasp" like a complete burnout metalhead would.

"Dude, are you coming to the Wasp concert or what?" You have to say Wasp like "Wasp-puh" but the "puh" is a bit short and percussive. Got it?

Can't well all just hate Kiss, Wasp, and AC/DC equally? I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Can't well all just hate Kiss, Wasp, and AC/DC equally? I do.
    You can hate them passionately and equally. Of course, it's your choice. Hate on!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    The Crimson Idol and The Headless Children are both great albums.
    I think a lot of people are judging them on their early shock rock image and are failing to give them a chance. The Crimson Idol and The Headless Children have so many prog elements, if it wasn't for the '80s/'Hair'/Shock rock image, proggers would be falling over themselves in praise.

if it wasn't for the '80s/'Hair'/Shock rock image, proggers would be falling over themselves in praise.
    It's called 'jealousy'

Thumbs up for The Crimson Idol.....definitely the high point of the band, IMO.