Thread: M83 - Prog?

John Boegehold

M83 - Prog?

I listen to a lot of cinematic electronica and have been obsessing over this guy lately. I don't about his influences, but I hear a lot of classic prog changes and textures in his stuff. A lot of Tony Banks-isms. Aside from the electronic drums and lack of guitars, this one from the Oblivion soundtrack reminds me a lot of 70's orchestra-era Renaissance, especially the vocal and string arrangements. Anyone else hear the similarities?

I really enjoy their frist two albums, "Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts" and "Before the Dawn Heals Us" but after that, their sound became noticeably lighter. This hearkens back to the first few albums and sounds quite nice. You should definitely check them out.

"Before the Dawn Heals Us" is my fave M83 album. "Dead Cities" is also great.

For sympho-electronica, I suggest you check out "Map of What is Effortless" by Telefon Tel Aviv. One of my desert island discs...

I just ordered "Map of What is Effortless" - sounds amazing.

Yeah, "Map" is pretty wonderful.

With M83...

IMHO the Oblivion soundtrack is very different from anything else they've done...sounds closer to the Inception soundtrack than anything (which, BTW, is also a great soundtrack).

I went to see M83 perform live supporting the "Dawn" album...ended up walking out midway through. It was so strange...there was no dedicated keyboardist onstage and much of "that" aspect of the music was being handled by backing tracks. Felt really kind of blah. A shame, as I was expecting a great show based on how awesome the "Dawn" album was.

Absolutely Prog, though on the pop end of it. I just put them in a Prog show for tonight and on a Spotify playlist, Progressive Delites sandwiched between Camel and Badger. Sounds like it belongs to me. http://echoesblog.wordpress.com/2013...tyson-cornell/