Thread: Jonn Serrie

Jonn Serrie

I'm almost afraid of posting this here, but I'm really digging "And the Stars Go With You," as well as many of his other works right now. They put me into a deeper frame of mind. How do people here feel about him? I'm curious.

I Have some of his earlier work, which I liked a lot. Then he seemed to get a little too happy new-agey commercial if that makes any sense? Like Chuck Wild/Liquid Mind. I like my ambient dark and moody not like a Disney soundtrack. And please, this isn't a rip on you enjoying him, by all means dig in! Just my take on your question.

Well, I'm still safe, because "And the Stars" seems to have been his first album. I definitely see what you mean about it threatening to become "Disney New Age," for sure.

Like many artists his early stuff was quite good and innovative. Later he went over to the Dark Side (aka Disney.)

And the Stars Go with You... is a classic Serrie! Very spacey and far away... I can also recommend both Planetary Chronicles Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (especially vol. 2). They contain pieces Serrie composed for several planetariums.
    On later albums he began experimenting with more pop-oriented sound, adding more rhythmic elements, saxophones etc - not my cup of tea to be honest, so I lost interest, but I still own these three CDs and they are just brilliant!

And if you are interested in similar cosmic-style ambient works, listen to such albums as Michael Stearns Encounter, Chuck van Zyl Regeneration Mode (very hard to find though), Arecibo Trans Plutonian Transmissions (for darker mood), Pete Namlook & Tetsu Inoue Shades of Orion 3 etc. There are many more, but these are standouts for me.
    Last edited by Azol; 07-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I'm not super familiar with his stuff (mostly earlier), but what I've heard, I like for when I need that kind of mood.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!