Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Photography Thread

Weekend hike with my daughter to an old mill:

Attached Images Attached Images

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ200K

Finally had the chance to check this camera out yesterday . . .

It's an excellent super-zoom/bridge with a (fast) quality lens . . . great output (RAW) and a nice set of features. It's Leica sister camera is more expensive (naturally) - but this version can do the job.

Thank you pindralprogger for all the links to reviews. I can't believe how many cameras are out there! I am leaning to the Canon T3i. I saw it available on line from 42nd St Photo for $515, with the (I actually don't remember the low end) 22-55 mm lens. I am sure this camera will be great for vacation and fammily stuff. For photographing my models I really need the best depth of field possible. I need to get that aperture small, which is the opposite of what most people want. I realize this is a function of the lens mainly, and I can get one for this purpsoe down the road. However, can someone tell me if the camera will allow me to set the aperture and automatically adjust shutter time? It would be on a tripod of course. And I assume you can turn off auto focus, to obtain "artsy fartsy" results? For example, I once took a pic of a friends horse from the outside of the corral, focusing on a barb in the barb wire fence, with the horse out of focus. In black and white it was quite striking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    ...can someone tell me if the camera will allow me to set the aperture and automatically adjust shutter time?
    ...And I assume you can turn off auto focus, to obtain "artsy fartsy" results?
    Yes
    And yes.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

I am more a outdoor enthousiast who carries a big camera. Here are a few of mine

Those are quite Good Indeed (!). What mountain is it ??

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

first i think i decided on a new camera. a few months ago, i heard about the Nikon D3100 and liked it because of its HD video capability. but buying just the camera no matter where i looked was in itself a major investment - especially if you want a second lens. then i found this interesting site..

bigonfoto

notice the package deals. most include not only the camera but 2 lenses and a tripod (as well as other stuff) for a greatly reduced price. maybe it sounds too good to be true but it's all right there. and free shipping to boot. since the D5100 is newer, i looked at its bundles and found package #3 which looks like this..

1. Nikon D5100 - 16.2 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
    2. UV FILTER
    3. Full Size Professional Photo Bag
    4. Professional Monopod - Floor Standing
    5. Digital Slave Flash For Use With Digital Or Film Cameras
    6. Lens Care and Maintenance Kit
    7. Universal Digital Camera Screen Protector
    8. Table Top Mini Tripod
    9. 4GB SD Memory Card
    10. High Speed Secure DigitalCard Reader
    11. Full Size tripod
    12. New! 18-50mm f/3.5-6.3 Auto Focus Lens
    13. New! 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Auto Focus Lens
    14. Cap Keeper
    15. Memory Card Wallet
    16. Wireless Remote for Digital SLR
    17. All-Weather Deluxe All-Weather SLR Camera Backpack Case - Blue
    18. UV FILTER
    19. Deluxe Lens Pouch For SLR Lenses
    20. Deluxe Lens Pouch For SLR Lenses
    21. Cap Keeper

all for $559. don't know if i'll ever see another deal like this again. does anybody see a cloud within the silver lining?
    as an aside, i called the 866 number for Sales and the guy who 'helped' me was a complete jerk. real attitude problem and really didn't know anything about these promotions. if i order at all it, it will be online not over the phone.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 11-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

well as expected all of my submissions to Bigstock were declined. talk about picky. honestly though i know i'm not a pro and i'm already at a disadvantage with this PnS making my query above that much more important. anyway, here's some of the comments..

country road pic on pg 1..
    Reason: EXPOSURE ISSUE: Image is not properly exposed. Issue includes one or more of the following: blown out highlights, overall lighting is too dark, or incorrect white balance settings.

Hartford Riverwalk (2 people walking away)..
    Reason: ARTIFACT PROBLEMS: Noise/Grain/Chromatic Aberration/Fringing in image when viewed at 100%. Common causes include shooting in low light, using a high ISO, over-sharpening or other poor post-processing techniques. NO MODEL RELEASE: Every recognizable person in this image must have a signed release uploaded and linked accordingly.
    heh.. these guys must have great eyesight. pretty good they can recognize these people from the backs of their heads a half mile away.

Hartford skyline (view of Travelers, Phoenix, CT Science Center from across the river)..
    Reason: ARTIFACT PROBLEMS: Noise/Grain/Chromatic Aberration/Fringing in image when viewed at 100%. Common causes include shooting in low light, using a high ISO, over-sharpening or other poor post-processing techniques. POTENTIAL COPYRIGHT/TRADEMARK/PRIVACY INFRINGEMENT: Image cannot be licensed commercially and is not suitable for Editorial purposes. Restricted subject matter could include: private property without a release, copyrighted art, visible logos, vehicle license plate, etc.

my avatar..
    Reason: ARTIFACT PROBLEMS: Noise/Grain/Chromatic Aberration/Fringing in image when viewed at 100%. Common causes include shooting in low light, using a high ISO, over-sharpening or other poor post-processing techniques.

i could very well be oversharpening but i think the problem lies mostly with the original picture which i can't do anything about while still using my PnS. these guys are tough and i just don't see any of my pics getting approved until i 1. get a new camera and 2. practice a lot more. oh well, it was worth a shot.

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post

It's an excellent super-zoom/bridge with a (fast) quality lens . . . great output (RAW) and a nice set of features. It's Leica sister camera is more expensive (naturally) - but this version can do the job.
    Love Panasonic. Have one of their first super zooms (only 5 MP, which was a lot back then, but 14x optical zoom which was really rare for cameras in that price range, and a point and shoot...hell, it has more mega pixels than my Canon XSi, of course the sensor is superior on the Canon, but for a pocket camera, not too shabby.

Love that B&W of your daughter, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Thank you pindralprogger for all the links to reviews. I can't believe how many cameras are out there! I am leaning to the Canon T3i. I saw it available on line from 42nd St Photo for $515, with the (I actually don't remember the low end) 22-55 mm lens.

Thanks
    The kit lenses are fine for general purposes, it's all I have still (also have the 70-200mm(?) ), but nice thing about the Canons and Nikons like those, if and when you are ready you can upgrade to the better lenses using that body.

Here's the gallery from our hike last weekend:

http://jkalna.zenfolio.com/p411811260

Use the "slideshow" for best viewing algorithm

~JK

Nice.

I didn't take many on my hike this weekend (14.5 miles along the AT) - not much that was worth taking, too hazy, and we were moving too fast ... and the few that I took were probably crappy anyway. Will check them tomorrow...
    Regards,

Duncan

LUMIX® FZ200

Wow!

Okay... I know what I want for Christmas. And for US$600? We don't need toys for the baby... I need a new toy to document the baby not having toys. (Yeah, sure... the baby will be here before I get a new kit.)

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    bigonfoto

1. Nikon D5100 - 16.2 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera ...

all for $559.
    Unfortunately, there are a few sites on the interwebs complaining about "bigonphoto" selling used equipment as new.

EXPOSURE ISSUE...ARTIFACT PROBLEMS...NO MODEL RELEASE
    Honestly, considering the issues you've been having with that wee thing of a camera, the first two are not a big surprise. Also, your guess about the post processing being a bit aggressive may play a role, but I'm not inclined to expect that it's entirely your post processing. You've been fighting with exposure on that pocket shooter for several months, now.

The model release is an absolute must for any people, sometimes even animals, in the shot if you plan to make money off the image.

POTENTIAL COPYRIGHT/TRADEMARK/PRIVACY INFRINGEMENT
    For some outdoor scenes, you may not have standard public photography rights. It can get tricky. There are books on how commercial photography that you may want to look into. I've given mine all away, so I don't have the titles at hand, but Amazon should be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Unfortunately, there are a few sites on the interwebs complaining about "bigonphoto" selling used equipment as new.
    thanx for the warning. the ones i read said they were an out and out scam. considering the attitude of the salespeople, i'm not surprised. almost fell for it.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 11-21-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    LUMIX® FZ200

Wow!
    Amazon has them for $450.

And these too:

Canon, 50X optical zoom, can shoot raw, same CMOS processor as several EOS range cameras.
    Regards,

Duncan

Honestly, Duncan, despite my loyalty to Canon, the Lumix kinda blows the SX50 HS away in a few areas. It's got constant f/2.8 where the SX50 has f/3.4-6.5. Th FZ200 has the macro I want, 12fps, similar ISO stops, it's got aperture prioty AE whic is use most frequently as well as full manual, image stabilisation (not sure how it compares to Canon's IS, though), 1/2 EV step exposure compensation....

The only thing I wonder about is the battery life, which is spec'd at 540 frames. I on't see a spec for the SX50, but SLR can go far longer than 1500 frames on a single battery charge.

Also, the FZ200 has the Leica Vario-Elmarit glass, which is comparable to Canon's L-Series glass.

The SX50 does have a far longer optical zoom range, although the FZ200 has something they call "extra optical zoom" that pushes it out to 49x with some caveats I don't understand, yet).

I need to look into the difference between the CMOS and the Lumix' MOS sensors.

I don't know. Could be a tough decision.

Greg,

I agree about the slowness of the lens. My earlier model (the SX 40 HS, which was newly released in June!) has f2.8 at wide angle, though it isn't constant. That's a huge advantage for the Lumix.

AE is standard on the Canon as well. It has auto, program (which isn't really 'program' - just auto with a few extras), shutter pri., aperture pri., and manual ... along with bunches of extra 'scenes' that no serious person would ever use. The Canon has 1/3-stop EV up to +2 stops.

Interesting choice - if I were buying one today, I'd be hard pressed. I was similarly hard pressed when I originally got the Canon SX 40 HS - and it was only a special offer of $100 off that swayed my choice.

Regarding the CMOS - as I recall from a conversation with Josef a while ago, one of the differentiators between the Lumix and its (almost) identical twin the 2x more expensive Leica V-LUX 4 is the CMOS. (Josef, am I misquoting you..?)
    Regards,

Duncan

Hmmmmm..... Apparently the Leica V-LUX 4 is still than $1k and, from the few reviews I've seen so far, the CMOS vs. the MOS sensor apparently makes a huge difference. And, according to the "datenblatt" the V-LUX 4 doesn't lose the "makro" I want.

So, this all makes the V-LUX 4 my new Christmas wish-list toy.

I'm just wondering about the difference in glass quality between the Vario-Elmar and Vario-Elmarit lenses. I'm guessing the Leica's Vario-Elmar with two extra elements would be slightly "better" than the Lumix' Vario-Elmarit, but I have no idea.

Leica offerings usually come with:

1. Much longer warranty
    2. Better initial software offerings
    3. Higher resale
    4. The RED dot . . .

FZ200/V-LUX 4 - - - great cam for the masses, providing lots of flexibility and tools to really expand your hobby, while not draining your wallet. I have not investigated the differences between these models in detail . . . but have used the FZ200 for a weekend and it was sublime.

My cam (Leica D2) has an f/2.0 - 2.8 across it's range . . . and it's still an excellent performer at these aperatures believe me. I have ordered prints up to 16" X 20" from this older 5MP cam = folks who visit our house and see these images up on the wall are floored.

RAW output is of primary importance for me, as the processing control (prior to JPG conversion) is fucking amazing. The ability to adjust exposure, shadow and highlight detail, saturation curves, etc . . . without disturbing the color channels . . . is incredible. Although it generates an additional step in post processing, your final output will absolutely show the difference:

That last picture, in particular, is brilliant!

RAW output is of primary importance for me...
    The Canon 40 (mine) does not offer this, though I'm going to get it via a software hack. I have a faster lens than the 50, so once I add raw, mine will be better than the 50 - IMO.

The downside of all of these superzooms id the lack of f/stop range - so that Leica/Lumix with a constant f/2.8 is a huge advantage.

And with the Leica, there's always...

4. The RED dot . . .
    Regards,

Duncan

Leica offerings usually come with:

1. Much longer warranty
    2. Better initial software offerings
    3. Higher resale
    4. The RED dot . . .
    The only one of those that has any actual influence on me is the internal camera software. I really don't care about "branding" apart from what quality the brand produces. That said, Leica quality has been something I would love to own if I had the cash (felt the same about Hasselblad for a long while), and apparently it's looking pretty good that I could have a Leica some day. The longer warranty would hopefully not be necessary, but I guess that is a plus. I've never tried to re-sell a camera.

...but have used the FZ200 for a weekend and it was sublime.
    Um... if I extrapolate, would that mean the V-LUX 4 could be nearing "orgasmically sublime"?

Probably orgasms would abound.

I met this young girl on campus this past semester - she had the M9 with a Noctilux lens . . . received it as a (high-school) graduation gift ! ! ! She let me fondle it and take several pics of her amongst the old pin-oaks in the old quad. It was a difficult beast to focus I can certainly tell you that (absolutely no auto-focus at all) . . . but I've little experience with a real range-finder myself . . . much less that wicked (f/.95) lens . . . but the output was staggering, even on the small LCD panel. She had a vague idea of it's value . . . but I told her to be extra careful walking around with $16,000 worth of camera gear hanging around her neck.

Leica is just that - more a statement than anything else I guess - old world craftsmanship, hand made, etc . . .

http://overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Nocti...SPH-f-095.html

(check out some of those photographs on that page - incredible)

I wondered what her parents/family did for a living to afford such a gift for their daughter's high-school graduation . . . and wondered what she could possibly receive upon graduation from college !!! Go figure . . .

My Father picked up 2 Leica bodies and 3 lenses upon his departure (from Paris) at the end of WWII - - - I had them refurbished and cleaned a few years back. They will pay for my son's higher educational path coming up here soon. What's incredible is that they work just as fucking well as the day they were made, and the output rivals or exceeds any modern film based camera system. There's a lot to be said for that type of history . . .

That being said - I really wish to enter the full-frame digital realm . . . and will probably align myself with Nikon in this regard. I used a F3 (titanium) body with a few lenses back in the 1980's and it was a great system. I tell you . . . one could easily pound nails into a board with that camera body, it was one fucking tough piece of gear, the thing NEVER failed me once in a decade of heavy use. I still drag out my slides every now and then and project them (Leica projector) onto a silver screen - - - they can still bring cheers from a receptive audience: colors, saturation, vividness . . . it's all still there.

Camera's are just tools - you are the creator.

~jk

I met this young girl on campus this past semester. . .
    I remember the envy I felt when you mentioned that in the older thread. Thanks for rubbing it in ;-)

http://overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-Nocti...SPH-f-095.html
    (check out some of those photographs on that page - incredible)
    I take it you're not just referring to the images of Caroline Overgaard