more in the creepy tree dept..

"She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Cool pics!
    <sig out of order>

Aurora2.jpg

i have already try hdr on my macbook with that http://macphun.com soft
    I do a fair bit of HDR. The HDR is actually for high-contrast scenes - bright sun with dark shadows.

Have found myself moving away from flash lighting over the past several months. This Fuji X-Tran sensor technology is amazing in low light -

Fuji X-Pro1 with 23mm f/1.4 lens, shot at ISO 6400, f/1.4, 1/30th second

Fuji X-Pro1 with 27mm f/2.8 lens, shot at ISO 3200, f/2.8 at 1/60th second

Fuji X-Pro1 with 27mm f/2.8 lens, shot at ISO 6400, f/2.8 at 1/30th second

Fuji XT-1 with 16mm f/1.4 lens, shot at ISO 6400, f/1.4 at 1/30th second

Also - I've moved to Iridient Developer for my RAW file processing. Nothing compares to this product for the Fuji series of sensors in my book - plus it's written/developed by one guy who totally supports his product tooth and nail.

Moving along nicely with my image placements with stock agencies, have had over 16 images picked up this year that basically paid for the new lens (16mm f/1.4) and the Iridient Developer software - not bad.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to get out and take some pics over the Christmas break.

Nice work per usual, Josef... I particularly like that 4th shot...

Abby is growing up to be quite the looker!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yeah - she's my primary subject matter most of the time. Jojo's pretty busy with his academics and job.

You got any trips planned ???

We were thinking about possibly visiting Montreal next summer for a few days - - - dovetailed with a trip to Mom's house in the ADK's. I was going to head over to a Federal Park here in Western NC (Cataloochee) next Oct-Nov for the elk rut season - maybe renting a long lens for that event. It's supposed to be pretty cool . . . and maybe a few trips down to the coast again (never get tired of that).

I turn 50 in February. For the occasion Barb and I, my sister and her boyfriend, and my mother (who managed to invite herself along) will be spending a week in St-Lucia; at an all inclusive. Just paid it off 2 days ago. Should be sweet! St-Lucia is one of the more tropical islands in the Caribbean.. We'll be staying here:

. After that, nothing in the works. Let me know when you're planning of being in Montreal and we'll make sure to hook up. Been a while (ProgDay 2011 iirc...)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yup we should definitely meet up !!!

I know exactly where St. Lucia is located - That's a nice part of the Caribbean for sure . . . we flew right over that island on the way to Barbados (for a friend's wedding) years ago. Bring LOTS of sunblock (too expensive there), very little clothing, camera/batteries/lenses/chargers/etc, bug dope, hats, iPod, electricity adapter (if not 115-120V), sandals/flip-flops and TIP MONEY (a bunch of US dollars). You really don't need much down there and it will be fucking hot, even in February. Set your Mom up with a chulo upon arrival !!!

Funda and Abby just went back to the Dominican Republic (girls trip) in August for 10 days - they stayed at a nice family resort, all inclusive. It's low-season then and prices are cheap - but you risk hurricane interruptions too . . . but they got lucky and it was nice.

Have fun and be safe - - -

There's no fucking way anyplace here in the states would allow you to hang out with a 600 lb. sea lion for photographs like this !!!

because of the very restrictive file size allowed on uploads, links this time..

xmas

night lights

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Have found myself moving away from flash lighting over the past several months. This Fuji X-Tran sensor technology is amazing in low light -
    Wow, those are amazing. I have read elsewhere that the New Fuji cameras are setting a new standard. As I confirmed Nikon guy, I'm not really anxious to bring in a new set of lenses etc, but should I. Is the high ISO performance so good that I should dive in and get one? What are your thoughts

Thanks Indeed
    KGH

who's more recent photographic this and that can be seen at
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kghofsf/
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Quote Originally Posted by KGHofSF View Post
    Wow, those are amazing. I have read elsewhere that the New Fuji cameras are setting a new standard. As I confirmed Nikon guy, I'm not really anxious to bring in a new set of lenses etc, but should I. Is the high ISO performance so good that I should dive in and get one? What are your thoughts

Thanks Indeed
    KGH

who's more recent photographic this and that can be seen at
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kghofsf/
    Those are some really beautiful landscape shots !!! Nice stuff . . .

If you already have all that Nikon glass - then I would most definitely stay put. It's an expensive journey for sure - so I guess it depends on how deep your pocketbook remains.

High ISO performance is really, really astounding on these Fuji cameras - coupled with the amazing "Iridient Developer" RAW processing platform, which really takes advantage of the X-Trans sensor files. The author of Iridient Developer is truly dialed into this camera big time - and that platform really pulls everything possible from those RAW files . . .

One thing that really appealed to me with Fuji is both the size and weight of the system(s). In the Ona bag lives the XT1 body with the 16/1.4, 23/1.4 and the 56/1.2 primes, hoods, batteries, etc . . . comes in under 10 pounds.

I also have an X-Pro1 body with the 27/2.8 pancake lens - metal hood, half leather case that's my beater camera . . .

Fuji's fast primes are NOT cheap glass - and are built like a tank with Leica/Zeiss level optics . . . good investments and the newer models are both water resistant AND able to partner with their full-frame offerings in the future.

A lot of pro's bitch about Fuji's auto focus, as it falls short of Canon & Nikon's efforts . . . but the Fuji systems are less oriented towards fast-action captures like sporting events, etc . . . and their long-glass offerings are slowly coming on board. Fuji's systems are quick, fast and light hand-held units tailored for landscapes, street, portraiture, interiors, travel, low-light, and family efforts -

Moving along nicely with my image placements with stock agencies, have had over 16 images picked up this year that basically paid for the new lens (16mm f/1.4) and the Iridient Developer software - not bad.
    Hi Josef,

What stock agencies are you with? We use a number of them here: Shutterstock, Alamy, Getty, etc.

I second Yves. Beautiful pictures of Abby.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Shutterstock
    iStock

I'd love to get w/Jupiter (now Adobe iirc) . . . as one of my friends has been w/them (and Getty) forever . . . but they're one of those "don't call us - we'll call you" type of agencies.

It's pretty easy to get pics accepted if you follow their guidelines and tag carefully . . . they're always advertising what type of photos they're currently interested in and what types they're overloaded with, as to not waste time on either end.

My friend has well over 15,000 images placed with 3 separate agencies - and makes well into the triple digits every year - it's a great gig.
    Last edited by WHORG; 01-05-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Shutterstock
    iStock

I'd love to get w/Jupiter (now Adobe iirc) . . . as one of my friends has been w/them (and Getty) forever . . . but they're one of those "don't call us - we'll call you" type of agencies.

It's pretty easy to get pics accepted if you follow their guidelines and tag carefully . . . they're always advertising what type of photos they're currently interested in and what types they're overloaded with, as to not waste time on either end.

My friend has well over 15,000 images placed with 3 separate agencies - and makes well into the triple digits every year - it's a great gig.
    one question i have is in regards to copyright. if you submit to (and get accepted) say 5 pics by stock company A, can you submit (and get accepted) those same 5 to stock company B?
    since they're your pictures, do you have the right to submit them anywhere you want or does company A have exclusive rights to sell those particular pics?

for a couple of reasons i'm thinking about trying the stock thing again. i had one pic accepted by Bigstock a couple years ago but that's gone nowhere as far as sales.

Unevensong - Camel

Usually it's an exclusive deal with specific photographs bound contractually to the agency - - - with a reversion clause that releases the images after (let's say) 36 months.

One of my resolutions is to get several hundred images placed over this next year, and the year after, etc - to build up a usable collection that will provide residual income will into the future (as my friend above has done) - but it takes time.

My keyboard/electronic based instrumental music is placed in much the same manner (sync licensing) though similar channels - but I started that process 2-3 years ago with several dozen tracks in place at this time . . . getting paid through ASCAP every 6 months.

My long term goal is to have both of these (photo and music) well in place within 3 years . . . and quit the day job. We'll see how realistic that may be . . .

JK

Hi all .. longtime PE lurker ... semi-pro bassist ... and hobbyist photographer. Some really nice work in this thread! I have done a lot of landscape snapshots, and now exploring off-camera flash and portrait work .. starting with myself:

24383798021_9df66eb348_c.jpg

Natural light from a window is always nice !!!

Off camera flash is my New Years resolution - - - I'm exploring the Yongnuo flashes, wireless trigger and power/channel module.

I'll be capturing a live band this coming weekend at a big club here in town - lots of room to walk around so it should offer some nice vantage points.

I'll be capturing a live band this coming weekend at a big club here in town - lots of room to walk around so it should offer some nice vantage points.
    Would love to see any shots you can show us. Have fun!

Natural light from a window is always nice !!!

Off camera flash is my New Years resolution - - - I'm exploring the Yongnuo flashes, wireless trigger and power/channel module.
    Yeah, there is also a little off camera flash in that one, because I was losing the light at the headstock of the bass.

I'm using Nikons Creative Wireless System (just one speed light right now), supplemented with PocketWizards as needed.

I kind of lost a lot of the interest I had in photography when it all went digital and the price for developing and printing rolls of film became prohibitive and then basically disapeared altogether, except for high end studios.

I miss using my 35mm compact rangefinder cameras, old and new Olympus XA2 and Trip, Konica (1990s), Yashica, Voigtlander (1940s), Fujica.

So now, and I know there are hardly any left on the market nowadays, I'm looking for a camera with a rangefinder, that won't break the bank. I don't want an SLR again. I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix range and also the Nikon P900.

Any tips or experience from members here on using digital compacts with rangefinders?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I kind of lost a lot of the interest I had in photography when it all went digital and the price for developing and printing rolls of film became prohibitive and then basically disapeared altogether, except for high end studios.

I miss using my 35mm compact rangefinder cameras, old and new Olympus XA2 and Trip, Konica (1990s), Yashica, Voigtlander (1940s), Fujica.

So now, and I know there are hardly any left on the market nowadays, I'm looking for a camera with a rangefinder, that won't break the bank. I don't want an SLR again. I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix range and also the Nikon P900.

Any tips or experience from members here on using digital compacts with rangefinders?
    I purchased the Fuji X-Pro1 about 2 years ago with excellent results. It's a rangefinder styled body that's small and built like a tank . . . their lenses are amazing too.

They just came out with the X-Pro2 body last Friday, but it's price point is near $1,700 . . . I'd recommend finding the X-Pro1 new/used for MUCH less ($400) - - - and pick up a lens or two depending on your style. The viewfinder is really cool: you can go full optical, or electronic (through the lens). In optical mode, it behaves like a true rangefinder and displays/overlays the capture rectangle image into the viewfinder. It's small, light and fast - - -

A few I took recently in a rather pretty part of this planet.

Attached Images Attached Images

Those are some beautiful images - - - once in a lifetime trip I bet. Please post/link more when you get the chance - - - have you sold/licensed any of those at all ???

I met this young girl on campus 3.5 years ago - she was an incoming freshman at the time, fresh out of high-school. Noticed her walking around campus one day by herself - - - with a camera hanging off her shoulder. As I passed her by - - - I saw that it was a Leica rangefinder with an enormous lens, turned out to be a M9 body with a Noctilux lens . . . first time I ever saw either to be honest, so I stopped her. She got the camera/lens from her folks as a graduation gift to capture her college years - - - never having an actual camera before in her life . . . only smart phones.

I told her to be very careful - as she had absolutely no idea she had $17,000 worth of camera/lens on her shoulder.

She was a pretty cool person, and after some conversations & coffee, she met me almost weekly for photo excursions and critique sessions - faithfully until this very day. She's now a senior here at Chapel Hill and will graduate in May - - - moving back to Atlanta to work in her Father's asphalt empire. Absolutely great kid all the way through - and has grown into quite the photographer over the past several years. She has an excellent eye - and is a fantastic street photographer that's had many images licensed through stock agencies.

Side note - she did sell that Noctilux pretty quick . . . it was a fucking brick and "one trick pony" if you ask me . . . ultimately getting the 35mm Summilux plus an extra $4,000 cash . . .

That camera and lens are both weathered and worn at this time - but she has thousands of superb images from her college years that are just classic and timeless. Funda and I will miss her company come summer time . . . she was a great friend, and it all started with a camera.

Cool story, Whorg!