Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull news update from Ian

Very interesting song selection from Martin. Did not expect "Protect And Survive" but nice to see A represented. "Paparazzi" as well, but that's less surprising if you know that Martin loves the Under Wraps album. I look forward to hearing how he blends some of this material with originals.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Can't wait for this. Also, I love that clip of A New Day. Martin and Ian should get together with that singer and tour APP! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Can't wait for this. Also, I love that clip of A New Day. Martin and Ian should get together with that singer and tour APP! :-)
    You liked his vox? Talk about different strokes, that guy sings about as good as I do, and believe me you don't want me anywhere near any Tull material.

Fantastic feature article on Ian in the new issue of PROG magazine. Great read.

Here's an interesting tidbit... "an album, or two or three"!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

RIP Jethro Tull.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

"I'm the only guy who's been there from the beginning."

Yeah. In a band that formed 46 years ago, Anderson has one year of seniority on Martin Barre (and it wasn't even Anderson's band at the time). Barre is "the new guy," LOL.

I love Tull, but this is just terribly disrespectful of Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    "I'm the only guy who's been there from the beginning."

Yeah. In a band that formed 46 years ago, Anderson has one year of seniority on Martin Barre (and it wasn't even Anderson's band at the time). Barre is "the new guy," LOL.

I love Tull, but this is just terribly disrespectful of Ian.
    Yeah, why should the guy who wrote, arranged, and sang the songs think he's different from anyone else? The nerve!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Yeah, why should the guy who wrote, arranged, and sang the songs think he's different from anyone else? The nerve!
    That's not the issue. He didn't say those things. He justified his air of superiority by *seniority* and this is both asinine and disrespectful.

Unfortunately, Ian Anderson has shown many times in recent years that he's not above either of these things.

And, furthermore, Jethro was a *band* and all members contributed creatively. Although Ian Anderson was the main contributor, the idea that he was the only creative contributor is a myth.

That's not the issue. He didn't say those things. He justified his air of superiority by *seniority* and this is both asinine and disrespectful.

Unfortunately, Ian Anderson has shown many times in recent years that he's not above either of these things.

And, furthermore, Jethro was a *band* and all members contributed creatively. Although Ian Anderson was the main contributor, the idea that he was the only creative contributor is a myth.
    Because you were in the studio and know who contributed what? Besides, there have been a million members of Tull, Ian is the creator if you will, the other guys tweaked but they were his songs in the first place. Which was the "real" Tull, or was Tull always a varying bunch of musicians carrying out the songs of Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Because you were in the studio and know who contributed what? Besides, there have been a million members of Tull, Ian is the creator if you will, the other guys tweaked but they were his songs in the first place. Which was the "real" Tull, or was Tull always a varying bunch of musicians carrying out the songs of Ian?
    I know, because I've been followign the band. Ian has a penchant for re-inventing history when what actually happened offends his current dispositon.

But that's neither here nor there. In his own words, Ian justied himself by citing his extra year of seniority - which is quite absurd, and quite disrespectful of Martin Barre. Especially since that extra year largely consisted of Mick Abrahams telling Ian Anderson what to do.

Well, Ian is the one some people think is actually named Jethro Tull.

I know, because I've been followign the band. Ian has a penchant for re-inventing history when what actually happened offends his current dispositon.

But that's neither here nor there. In his own words, Ian justied himself by citing his extra year of seniority - which is quite absurd, and quite disrespectful of Martin Barre. Especially since that extra year largely consisted of Mick Abrahams telling Ian Anderson what to do.
    Gee, how on Earth was it that Mr. Abrahams found himself with a different job the following year, anyway? And if you think "This Was" is Abrahams-centric we'll agree to disagree, I'll save you the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, Ian is the one some people think is actually named Jethro Tull.
    The general public usually assumes that the singer is the leader of the band and main creative contributor (not that they'd be wrong in the case of Jethro Tull). Jethro Tull is the name of a person. Ergo...

Look, my point was simply that Ian Anderson citing one extra year of tenure in a band that was in its fifth decade of existence to make his point, was silly. There were better ways of making his case.

At the time, I thought that Ian Anderson electing not to use the Jethro Tull name for his work without Martin Barre was a very respectful and tasteful decision. Now that this has gone on for over a year and having read the interviews with both parties, I see that Ian Anderson has used just about every available opportunity to imply that, despite not officially working under the Jethro Tull name, his recorded work and tours since 2012 and going forward may as well be synonymous with it.

Tellingly, he never made such claims about his solo work and tours prior to this time. That, of course, was a time when his solo career ran concurrent with the ongoing concern of Jethro Tull. Now that Tull doesn't officially exist, however, he appears much more eager to appropriate the branding. That would lead me to believe that his current projects not being called "Jethro Tull" is not a decision that was entirely his own. Perhaps some inquiries to attorneys had occurred, and he chose this path to avoid being involved with legal distractions.

Now that Tull doesn't officially exist, however, he appears much more eager to appropriate the branding. That would lead me to believe that his current projects not being called "Jethro Tull" is not a decision that was entirely his own. Perhaps some inquiries to attorneys had occurred, and he chose this path to avoid being involved with legal distractions.
    As shrewd a businessman as Ian Anderson is, I can't imagine that he doesn't have full rights to the Tull name sewed up tight. Wasn't it Mick Abrahams who once dismissed Martin Barre as "hired help"? It's clear from this article that he's not going out as Jethro Tull because he doesn't want the projects he's doing now to be saddled with the audience expectations that come with that name--he wants to do shows where he doesn't have to play "Aqualung." Of course he wants to have his cake and eat it too, because he is still exploiting the Tull name. Just look at the cover of TAAB2: it still says JETHRO TULL in the same size font as Anderson's own name. It's even designed so that if you see the cover from a distance, the Tull name (in white) is legible and the Anderson name (in black) is hard to see.

It's clear from this article that he's not going out as Jethro Tull because he doesn't want the projects he's doing now to be saddled with the audience expectations that come with that name--he wants to do shows where he doesn't have to play "Aqualung."
    That's it in a nutshell. Given how long he's kept things together, releasing work at a steady rate into the late 90s when most of his peers had given up, the fanboys should just give it a rest if he now wants to have his cake and eat it too. Ian Anderson is not your bitch. If he wants to strike out on a different path without Martin, that's up to him.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's it in a nutshell. Given how long he's kept things together, releasing work at a steady rate into the late 90s when most of his peers had given up, the fanboys should just give it a rest if he now wants to have his cake and eat it too. Ian Anderson is not your bitch. If he wants to strike out on a different path without Martin, that's up to him.
    The change of heart is what really surprises me. It was Ian's choice to spend 20-odd years touring "the 20 best known Jethro Tull songs", to the frustration of many fans and even some of the band members. Now he's saying he needs to do new material and implying that the band would hold him back. Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Ian Anderson is not your bitch.
    Sig-worthy!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Very interesting song selection from Martin. Did not expect "Protect And Survive" but nice to see A represented.
    See the 25th Box.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The change of heart is what really surprises me. It was Ian's choice to spend 20-odd years touring "the 20 best known Jethro Tull songs", to the frustration of many fans and even some of the band members. Now he's saying he needs to do new material and implying that the band would hold him back. Say what?
    Yes, and everybody on this blog complained about his singing and how he should "hang it up." The truth is he's always been a better musician than singer and if you read between the lines, I think ditching the whole "the 20 best known Jethro Tull songs," is simply his way of acknowledging that he really can't sing Locomotive Breath or Aqualung the way it should be sung and that fans coming to a Jethro Tull would expect to hear those old chestnuts. I say thank god and more power to him to carry on as a solo musician, writing songs he can sing and doing what he does best which is play the flute and guitar better than anyone in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    Yes, and everybody on this blog complained about his singing and how he should "hang it up." The truth is he's always been a better musician than singer and if you read between the lines, I think ditching the whole "the 20 best known Jethro Tull songs," is simply his way of acknowledging that he really can't sing Locomotive Breath or Aqualung the way it should be sung and that fans coming to a Jethro Tull would expect to hear those old chestnuts. I say thank god and more power to him to carry on as a solo musician, writing songs he can sing and doing what he does best which is play the flute and guitar better than anyone in the business.
    True, but he could've done that with Tull years ago...If he'd built the show around material from "Crest" on up, keeping only the oldies he really had to do, there would've been fewer complaints about the vox. "TAB 2" proved he could write perfectly great material that's within his range.

Very interesting song selection from Martin. Did not expect "Protect And Survive" but nice to see A represented. "Paparazzi" as well, but that's less surprising if you know that Martin loves the Under Wraps album. I look forward to hearing how he blends some of this material with originals.
    MB co-wrote Paparazzi, I think.

I remember Ian once being asked about the name Jethro Tull, and he said he thought a better name would have been 'The Ian Anderson Band'.

Very interesting song selection from Martin. Did not expect "Protect And Survive" but nice to see A represented. "Paparazzi" as well, but that's less surprising if you know that Martin loves the Under Wraps album.
    I think the whole band loved it, at least at first. Chris Wright hated it, and the bit about that in the Classic Artists DVD is priceless.

That live cut was just fantastic! Not bad vocals - I don't think they were stellar, but I would go see that in a heartbeat, and really enjoy it as well. Small crowd. Fun times. The drummer needs a better stand though. I though he was going to fall through it on a few occasions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    As shrewd a businessman as Ian Anderson is, I can't imagine that he doesn't have full rights to the Tull name sewed up tight. Wasn't it Mick Abrahams who once dismissed Martin Barre as "hired help"? It's clear from this article that he's not going out as Jethro Tull because he doesn't want the projects he's doing now to be saddled with the audience expectations that come with that name--he wants to do shows where he doesn't have to play "Aqualung." Of course he wants to have his cake and eat it too, because he is still exploiting the Tull name. Just look at the cover of TAAB2: it still says JETHRO TULL in the same size font as Anderson's own name. It's even designed so that if you see the cover from a distance, the Tull name (in white) is legible and the Anderson name (in black) is hard to see.
    Could that have been a record company decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    See the 25th Box.
    I'm not sure I follow..? I know "Protect And Survive" is on there, but I still didn't expect it on this new Barre release.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I think the whole band loved it, at least at first. Chris Wright hated it, and the bit about that in the Classic Artists DVD is priceless.
    I love that DVD (and the Yes one). I think it was Terry Ellis you're talking about though... he showed up late and very drunk to the listening session and couldn't get his headphones on properly! Then screamed at the band about how horrible it was. The truth of it is, that album has some great songs on it (not to mention Ian's voice was in top form - for the last time in many people's eyes). But it suffers from the lack of real drums. I've always been surprised at how much Dave Pegg likes the album as well - it doesn't seem like something he'd be into. But you never know, I guess.