Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands that took a major change in direction

Bands that took a major change in direction

Soft proggies Opus (Germany,not the austrian ones)

became Germanys greatest cheese Pop band

Italian prog band J.e.t.

became major Pop band Matia Bazar

and of course that should be a major change not a mayor one

PFM
    Bee Gees
    Yes
    Genesis
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    Pretty Things
    Tyrannosaurus Rex

Germany's Faithful Breath began as a symphonic prog band who released a lovely album called Fading Beauty in 1973 (I love this album) :

...before eventually morphing into this (I *don't* love this album) :

....in 1987, they dropped the name (and logo) and continued on in this same 80s heavy metal style as a band called Risk.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Murder By Death
    Margot & the Nuclear So & So's
    Anathema

Not really a band changing, but just because it's good fun:

Anathema
    Humble Pie
    Genesis
    Deep Purple
    XTC
    Fleetwood Mac
    Ephemeral Sun
    BeeGees
    Beatles
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I would say Gentle Giant took a pretty major left turn when they evolved from Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. Maybe that doesn't count as it was really only the Shulmans common to both bands. And of course, The Beatles were kind of the prototype for evolving from basic pop to something more sophisticated.

Most bands go through some sort of metamorphosis...bands that are/were, to me, unrecognizable to themselves from first album to latest/last:

R.E.M.
    E.L.O.
    Klaatu
    Queensryche
    Bee Gees
    Fleetwood Mac
    Rush
    Porcupine Tree
    Stone Temple Pilots

...theres more: cant think of 'em atm

The Who
    Chilliwack

The Move
    Tangerine Dream

Ministry. I remember hearing them in the late 80's and it was your standard synth-pop, New Order type music. Not bad but nothing that stood out from the rest of the bunch. Then I heard "Stigmata" and couldn't believe it was the same band. Still love that song, but can imagine how pissed some people must have been that bought that follow up album.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

By far the most extreme example I ever heard (of) - and for mum's sake listen to these songs in full:

Stormy Six in 1971:

Stormy Six in 1979:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Ministry. I remember hearing them in the late 80's and it was your standard synth-pop, New Order type music. Not bad but nothing that stood out from the rest of the bunch. Then I heard "Stigmata" and couldn't believe it was the same band. Still love that song, but can imagine how pissed some people must have been that bought that follow up album.
    And then they morphed again... From a cutting edge, exciting industrial band (the Stigmata era), to a 3rd rate speed metal band. Check out some recent YT clips if you are curious. Just terrible.

Small Faces
    Marillion

There's ones that just evolved over time, changes as they grew as musicians and got older. That's often a more interesting journey and I would include the following as evolutionists: Beatles, the Who, the Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Queen, R.E.M., U2, Radiohead, Rush.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Re: Ministry: Definitely. There's a mighty big difference from "Every Day Is Hallowe'en" to something like "Burning Inside". They were big when I was in high school.

I don't see how Rush counts. Yes, the difference between the debut album and Clockwork Angels is pretty huge. But that's over the span of several decades, a much slower evolution. Check out my Faithful Breath example above, for what I consider a 'major change in direction'. IMO of course.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Marillion
    Pendragon
    Queen
    Deep Purple
    Uriah Heep

The Bee Gees, definitely- consider the same guys wrote 'Every Christian Lion Hearted Man' and 'You Should Be Dancing'. When you consider their writing for others ('Islands In The Stream', 'Guilty', 'Chain Reaction' etc.) they must have encompassed virtually every form of popular music. Before someone says 'what about rap', they even had a go at that on 'Backtafunk' (not their finest hour!).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't see how Rush counts. Yes, the difference between the debut album and Clockwork Angels is pretty huge. But that's over the span of several decades, a much slower evolution. Check out my Faithful Breath example above, for what I consider a 'major change in direction'. IMO of course.

I actually hesitated a bit before I wrote Rush because they are actually the only band I can think of that went "Full Circle" and got back into the neighborhood of their origins with their latest album, almost 40 years later..........but they oscillated greatly throughout their career and there is very little about "Hold Your Fire" or "Test For Echo" that says this is the same path the band started out on....So yeah, there was hesitation there but I still think they apply

As far as Ministry: all Industrial/Electronica/Synth Pop bands changed with the technology because - after all - the entire genre is based on technology. I think some berth needs to be given to Industrial/Electronica/SynthPop bands that started out in the days of Pay Phones and still exist in the age of SmartPhones.....Ministry is one of the bands that did opositte of the others: as technology improved, they rejected it further. As always, your mileage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Bee Gees, definitely- consider the same guys wrote 'Every Christian Lion Hearted Man' and 'You Should Be Dancing'.
    Amen
    Last edited by klothos; 07-07-2013 at 02:22 PM.

TALK TALK!

Dave Sr.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    '60s-'70s Santana

blues>psychedelic latin rock>jazz
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The only band that took a change because of a mayor(that I know of)was Chicago.

Incidentally, they did change their sound quite a bit over the years leaning in a more poppy direction although it was a much more subtle change and took longer than Jenny Sis.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I would say Gentle Giant took a pretty major left turn when they evolved from Simon Dupree and the Big Sound. Maybe that doesn't count as it was really only the Shulmans common to both bands. And of course, The Beatles were kind of the prototype for evolving from basic pop to something more sophisticated.
    Wasn't Martin Smith, original GG drummer, also in Simon Dupree And The Big Sound?

Japan (pop to ... Japan)
    Kraan (from 2 albums of Kraut to melodic fusion)