Thread: Fascinating Voice: Elizabeth Fraser

Fascinating Voice: Elizabeth Fraser

What ever happened to her? This strange and evocative "voice from another world"?

I am perhaps the only person in the world imagining what a Jon Anderson-Elizabeth Fraser duet may sound like?

I dunno about the Anderson/Fraser teamup, but I did rather enjoy her work on Peter Gabriel's OVO, in particular the duet with Paul Buchanon (Blue Nile) on Downside Up.

Not sure what she's up to these days.

Fraser vs. Anderson: 12-1. Sorry.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

what happened to the Cocteau Twins?

one of my favorite songs from her/them..

this one showcases her voice..

love her voice

my fave from FCC..

Last edited by UnephenStephen; 07-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Huge fan here. Actually Pat and I both and you'd never think it but they influence us in the guitar sound choices we make. I'm partial to their last 4 albums, especially HEAVEN OR LAS VEGAS. Her singing with Massive Attack on "Teardrop" is just perfect. Not sure what she's up to but I'm bummed she hasn't made a bunch of her own albums because I miss her voice a lot.

on the two yt links where she's alone, she sounds like a Tori Amos and Kate Bush impersonator...

IMHO, of course
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

She came out of retirement to do a concert at the South Bank in 2012, as mentioned on her (sadly not updated) website.

To me she's always been quite an enigmatic figure, with her best work probably coming on the first This Mortal Coil album.

I believe that she used to keep company with Jess Buckley at one point; regardless of whether that's true, you can definitely hear a Cocteau Twins influence on Grace.

Oh, and just editing to say to Trane: no, you're miles off ... she was established many years before Tori, and there is no real similarity to Tori or Kate, although they may appeal to the same listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post

Oh, and just editing to say to Trane: no, you're miles off ... she was established many years before Tori, and there is no real similarity to Tori or Kate, although they may appeal to the same listeners.
    I said : based on the two (first and third) YT links where she's singing "alone"... I don't know anything else from her (other than the two other YT links)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I said : based on the two (first and third) YT links where she's singing "alone"... I don't know anything else from her (other than the two other YT links)
    No, that's fine ... I'm not criticising the opinion that you formed from those videos, but you shouldn't walk around with that opinion. I'm a huge fan of Tori and Kate (less so of EF) but in all fairness to Fraser she's way more important than Tori and sounds nothing like her. It would be like saying that Diamanda Galas or Meredith Monk sound like Tori Amos: in some ways flattering but in others catastrophically mistaken.

This the song that I think of when I think of Fraser at her best:

Oh, and I just found this video directly juxtaposing Fraser's & Bush's versions of "Another Day" (although, to be honest, you'd be better off listening to the Fraser version complete):

Last edited by Sordel; 07-07-2013 at 04:24 AM.

yes.

She came out of retirement to do a concert at the South Bank in 2012, as mentioned on her (sadly not updated) website. [...] with her best work probably coming on the first This Mortal Coil album. [...] I believe that she used to keep company with Jess Buckley at one point; regardless of whether that's true, you can definitely hear a Cocteau Twins influence on Grace.
    This Mortal Coil did prominent cover versions on some of Tim Buckley's most haunting ballads ("Morning Glory", "I Must Have Been Blind" and of course "Song to the Siren"), but I never heard of a Jeff Buckley/Elizabeth Fraser connection. I agree that This Mortal Coil peaked with that debut album and that this was arguably her best recorded work, though. With the Dream Academy and the LA Paisley Underground scene, they were among the first to seriously revisit the 60s psych-folk realm - Tom Rapp/Pearls Before Swine, Tim Hardin, David Ackles etc.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This Mortal Coil did prominent cover versions on some of Tim Buckley's most haunting ballads ("Morning Glory", "I Must Have Been Blind" and of course "Song to the Siren"), but I never heard of a Jeff Buckley/Elizabeth Fraser connection.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...aser-interview

"After parting from Guthrie, but still in the same band, Fraser struck up an intense relationship with Jeff Buckley after they became infatuated with each other's voices. Again, emotion produced music. A sublime duet they recorded called All Flowers in Time Bend Towards the Sun is floating around the internet, to her irritation."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Fraser vs. Anderson: 12-1. Sorry.
    I'm telling you, she's gonna be on the Olias sequel.

I wonder how many of of us 80s kids who were weened on 4AD saw a connection back in time to that creative English rock of the 1970s? I mean, really, 4AD was the "Prog" trojan horse of the punk movement. I'm gonna go listen to my This Mortal Coil and Clan of Xymox albums today.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I'm telling you, she's gonna be on the Olias sequel.

I wonder how many of of us 80s kids who were weened on 4AD saw a connection back in time to that creative English rock of the 1970s? I mean, really, 4AD was the "Prog" trojan horse of the punk movement. I'm gonna go listen to my This Mortal Coil and Clan of Xymox albums today.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Clan of Xymox was Dutch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...aser-interview

"After parting from Guthrie, but still in the same band, Fraser struck up an intense relationship with Jeff Buckley after they became infatuated with each other's voices. Again, emotion produced music. A sublime duet they recorded called All Flowers in Time Bend Towards the Sun is floating around the internet, to her irritation."
    Yup, thx for the heads up. And considering her love of his father's music, this is very intriguing indeed. She's not portrayed in the Greetings from Tim Buckley motion picture, is she - anyone seen it and can tell?

There's interview clips with here throughout this documentary. She claims Jeff and her were soulmates.

I wonder how many of of us 80s kids who were weened on 4AD saw a connection back in time to that creative English rock of the 1970s? I mean, really, 4AD was the "Prog" trojan horse of the punk movement.
    I distinctly remember John Peel, after playing the Cocteaus one evening, saying something along the lines of "the King Crimson of their generation" not, I think, wholly ironically.

Head over Heels, Treasure and the sublime Victorialand: all fantastic.

...not sure what she's like on stage now but I saw the Cocteau Twins in, I think, 1986, (with Throwing Muses and Dif Juz in support, IIRC) and Elizabeth Fraser remains to this day the single most uncomfortable and ill-at-ease person I've ever seen on a stage. It was painful to watch, especially during the long silences between songs while they cued up/fixed the tapes. Sounded great, though, when the music began.
    Last edited by Pangolin; 07-07-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Cocteau Twins spawned and influenced countless other bands. At the time they were active I just lumped them in with all the other indie-rock/alternative bands of the day. Wish I'd paid more attention back then. But there are other places to go for that sort of thing today. Autumn's Grey Solace, for example...

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    And here they are ...

http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/tour56.html

There are recordings of the Hackett/Fraser live collaboration floating around out there....
    Nice. Thanks for the find. Two things about this picture: Steve is a short guy, and he towers over her. Secondly, he is from the musical generation before her, but he looks like a contemporary.

Ah, you're as young as you feel.

Off to see if this show was recorded.

And here they are ...

http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/tour56.html

There are recordings of the Hackett/Fraser live collaboration floating around out there....

What ever happened to her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin
    ...not sure what she's like on stage now
    She has just been spotted in the new Massive Attack show a day or two ago performing several songs, including one by famed Russian "accursed songstress" Yanka Dyagileva.

Probably nothing of major interest to Western folks (unless you follow the show's curved plot), but it made headlines over here - it's probably the first time Yanka's music is getting heard abroad, the first time a real Western star gave it a nod, and the way she is singing it in Russian, complete with the expletive in the song's punchline, is just an all around WTF thing (but in a good way!).

There has been a long-promised Elizabeth Fraser album for some time now. She does appear with Massive Attack occasionally. Saw her at a Hollywood Bowl show. Her duet with Richie Havens "Time of the Turning" on Gabriel's Ovo is sublime. If you dug the Cocteaus, Robin Guthrie, her ex, has been producing incredible albums of shoegaze guitar instrumentals for years, including collaborations with Harold Budd.