Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dash cams... need advice

Yopu've filming yourself, uh

Turn the camera around!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love the cam!

I need to do some adjustments to it, but the interface is extremely easy to operate on your computer.

If I want to mount this on my dash, I would need to raise it up just a tad. I am going to work with it and mount it between my windshield and rear view mirror. I will post screen caps of that test. Will post actual video when I get some free time to edit & upload.

The 1080 resolution is superb! The color is rich. I can pause the video and read text on signs and buildings from a good distance away and while in motion.

Here are some screen caps from shortly after 9am on July 4th

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Obviously I can understand why the police would have them, but it bothers me sometimes the way ordinary citizens feel the need to record every little thing that they do.
    It's more about protecting themselves. For example, in many other countries, insurance fraud is rampant, where people fake getting hit and hurt and then try to sue the drivers. I've seen several videos showing how blatant some of these crooks are. So, it makes perfect sense to document the situation.

Plus, considering how certain authorities are abusing their positions, it makes sense to document your own experience, especially when those same local authorities are resisting giving their own people cameras.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

These were taken about 7:15-7:45 pm. The time stamp is off because I was messing around with the configuration and forgot to reset the clock.

For this test run, I mounted the camera on the windshield mount that I modified. I am going to continue to modify the mount so that the camera will be only slightly visible and mainly rest between the rear view mirror and the windshield.

There are 2 pre-set record modes that you can adjust. Many dash cam enthusiasts have posted their alternate settings so you could set your Mode #1 up for day and Mode #2 for night, as one example. I have not messed around with the picture settings yet.

I'm not sure that car manufacturers should include this type of technology in base versions of their different models...
    I mean so far, separated dash cams don't indicate the speed you're doing (though I suspect that one could calculate it from the images), but if legalised or obligatory, no doubt this will become part of the car computer.

Just like GPS and cell phones tracking, this could be used against your private life
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Newer cars have all sorts of telemetry baked in.
    Plus US auto insurance companies will give you a 'discount' to place data recorders in the OBDII port of your car to show that you are a compliant driver.
    No quick starts, stops, high-g maneuvers, etc.
    That may be somewhat short lived as self driving cars may reduce the need for car insurance. ( probably not Real Soon Now ).
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    That may be somewhat short lived as self driving cars may reduce the need for car insurance. ( probably not Real Soon Now ).
    Possibly sooner than you think. Automatics (and I don't just mean automatic gear-changing, I mean the whole driving process is automated) are already here. The technology is here, all that's holding up the proliferation of them is (a) economics, (b) legal frameworks, (c) people's psychological reluctance to hand over the controls to a machine. There will come a time - and it could happen in my lifetime - when you will not be allowed to drive in the city, and only automated vehicles will be permitted inside a certain zone. This will of course include public transport vehicles, which will also be automated. In decades to come we will look back in amazement on the time when people were actually permitted to take manual control of a fast-moving metal machine, smashing each other up and killing one another by the thousands in the process. Manual driving will be something you do for recreation, outside the city.Manual cars may even become a niche market, for nostalgic enthusiasts, a bit like the way you have vintage car clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Possibly sooner than you think. Automatics (and I don't just mean automatic gear-changing, I mean the whole driving process is automated) are already here. The technology is here, all that's holding up the proliferation of them is (a) economics, (b) legal frameworks, (c) people's psychological reluctance to hand over the controls to a machine. There will come a time - and it could happen in my lifetime - when you will not be allowed to drive in the city, and only automated vehicles will be permitted inside a certain zone. This will of course include public transport vehicles, which will also be automated. In decades to come we will look back in amazement on the time when people were actually permitted to take manual control of a fast-moving metal machine, smashing each other up and killing one another by the thousands in the process. Manual driving will be something you do for recreation, outside the city.Manual cars may even become a niche market, for nostalgic enthusiasts, a bit like the way you have vintage car clubs.
    Larry Niven wrote the exact same idea into one of his "Known Space" sci-fi stories in the 60s . Cool concept.

Any updates on using dashcams? Models recommended etc? Im taking the plunge soon . Prices are down, quality up. Looking at the Aukey dual camara at less than 140.00 . Looks to have excellent resolution , records plate #s day or night. The Viofo 119 is slightly more $$ but single camara. The deciding factor on purchase was a accident in July in which the other driver was 100% at fault and (long story) evades responsibility , and his insurance wont fix anything. Sicced a lawyer on him , but Im not hopeful. Video would have been helpful.

The Wirecutter is a pretty good site for reviews.
    A grain of salt is required, as with most review sites.
    This is their set of picks for dash cams:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

about 18 months ago, I actually bought an tried a dash cam that was made to be fixed on the rear view mirror, but it was terribly impractal, because designed for mirror stuck and hanging on the windshield... Unfortunately (or not, depending) 95% of cars on the European roads have mirrors hanging from the ceiling/roof, which means that if you had just the space to clip it on, you didn't have space for the actual feeds (power and USB), because they were on top of the unit.

I brought it back and tried another system (I want them to be not too visible and avoid rubber marks on the windshield >> dead giveaway for thiefs), but it wasn't conclusive

Still looking for a DC, but this is more or less on the back burner until I find the ideal system (front cam + back cam that hang from the ceiling), plus the memory accessible in the middl/central console

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Any updates on using dashcams? Models recommended etc? Im taking the plunge soon . Prices are down, quality up. Looking at the Aukey dual camara at less than 140.00 . Looks to have excellent resolution , records plate #s day or night. The Viofo 119 is slightly more $$ but single camara. The deciding factor on purchase was a accident in July in which the other driver was 100% at fault and (long story) evades responsibility , and his insurance wont fix anything. Sicced a lawyer on him , but Im not hopeful. Video would have been helpful.
    It also helps with police lying/brutality, if you're a minority in the US.

The deciding factor on purchase was a accident in July in which the other driver was 100% at fault and (long story) evades responsibility , and his insurance wont fix anything. Sicced a lawyer on him , but Im not hopeful. Video would have been helpful.
    check out this news report:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...red-on-dashcam

The guy in the report is a friend of mine. He sent me the full video the day it happened. The end result is that, because of this video, the police caught the guy and dealing with the insurance company was a slam dunk. The insurance rep said these cameras save the company and the client loads of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    check out this news report:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...red-on-dashcam

The guy in the report is a friend of mine. He sent me the full video the day it happened. The end result is that, because of this video, the police caught the guy and dealing with the insurance company was a slam dunk. The insurance rep said these cameras save the company and the client loads of money.
    Utube is full of stuff like this. A couple of inches and your friend would have been really hurt. The only way a dashcam can hurt you is if your an asshat like the guy in the white car.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

I did not have a dash cam, but a dude backed into me at a gas pump at Wawa and I was happy that they had cameras because my parents knew the guy and told me he was a dickhead.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Utube is full of stuff like this. A couple of inches and your friend would have been really hurt. The only way a dashcam can hurt you is if your an asshat like the guy in the white car.
    Here's the camera he has:

https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Zero-F...am+dual+camera

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I did not have a dash cam, but a dude backed into me at a gas pump at Wawa and I was happy that they had cameras because my parents knew the guy and told me he was a dickhead.
    Not sure I understood anything here; who had the cams, since you didn't??

µ

That's more or lessssssss exactly the model I owned
    It looks like a good idea, but it's anything but.
    1- Not very good idea to replace your original rear-view mirror with the so-so one of this dash-cam...
    2- The placement is problematic, especially if you have to remove it every time you park and place it back once you started again
    3- Check the angle viewing the topside of the ghizmo, you won't have space enough for it to place your power & USB connections , since it is stuck into the roof of your car

My research suggests getting a camara that does not use a battery but rather capacitors. The batteries will fry when the camara is left in the vehicle in a hot location. The capacitors tolerate heat in excess of 150 degrees. This according to some Utube channels that review them. As Markwoll suggests , take with a grain of salt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6Sd2PXtmQ

Settled on 2 cams , purchased both for multi vehicle use. The Viofo 119 and the Aukey DR2 . Both relatively cheap , the Viofo is a single camara and the Aukey a dual camara. Installed the Viofo , but wont have a chance to use and test for a bit. The Aukey will arrive tomorrow , but Im not installing till it warms up , temps forcasted in the teens in a few days, Im not that motivated.
    I hardwired the viofo , the istall should take less than an hour , but due to vehicle took 4 hours. Got a pretty cool harness with an inline fuse and a gizmo that will not draw on the vehcle battery lower than 11.6v , as to avoide draining it if camara is left on in park mode. 12 bucks from Amazon. Lots of cheap stuff for installs, makes for a nice clean install , very different from the 70's , installing under dash am/fm cassette players. The install actually looks professional on this one. I remember the messy wire nests tapping the fuse boxes in my early clunkers. Sometimes when things change its for the better. I'll update on performance .

Went into hyper OCD mode and ended up with equipment for 3 vehicles , and a 4th will share one. I returned the Aukey because Amazon sent an opened box. second time I've gotten one of their returns represented as new in 2017. Reordered the Aukey which is on backorder. Was then required by OCD obsession to order a Blacksys CH200 . Its a good Korean dual camera system with some bells and whistles. More reasonable than most Korean offerings.
    What I learned about dash cams reading up on them is the Korean ones are considered the best , in choice of components and importantly, operating software. The rest are mainly budjet Chinese cameras , mostly knockoffs, many of questionable quality. Dashcamtalk is a forum with great info. Theres a lot of attractive cams that have great features at a reasonable prices that are plagued with software glitches that make buying a risk.
    Im hoping to have the cameras in hand in time for the warmup this week , so I can install and try them out. Then I'll bore you with the results.

Looking forward to it! Screen shots also and try to document the install. It's always great to see that.

Looking forward to it! Screen shots also and try to document the install. It's always great to see that.
    I've never done a screen shot or uploaded a video. I'll check out some tutorials and see if its a doable thing for me. The actual installs Im confident with. Im good with nuts and bolts stuff, and pathetic with computer stuff.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I got a SENWOW for about $60 about a year ago, and it works better than I expected. I've gotten a few amusing shots, including my boss's boss's boss's boss being the total douche that I always suspected he was, passing in the right turn lane in his Audi Douchemobile and then cutting multiple people off to race like a douche to the next light to take a left like a douche.

If someone runs into you, a dash cam will capture it and the guy's license plate number. You should have a front and rear camera.
    My brother in law was run into. He was on the freeway in the slow lane. He was having trouble with his GPS and the guy wouldn't go around him.
    He pulled off the freeway to drop off his passenger. The guy followed him off the freeway and ran into him. luckily, no one was hurt.
    A dash cam would have captured the incident.
    I bought this one and had it hard wired, so it will record when the car is off, as in parked at parking lots, etc. It turns itself off when it drops to 11.6 volts.
    The company responds to emails within hours if you have questions. There are lots of different models these days. Do your research. Everyone needs one
    these days IMO. https://www.amazon.com/X6D-Stealth-F...ords=itrue+x6d

So as promised , a review of 3 different dashcams. No install videos, Im not up to it technically.
    After an incident over the summer in which it would have been hugely beneficial to have one of these gadgets, I purchased and installed 3 dashcams. They were;
    http://https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-A119-Included-Optional-included/dp/B01M28B92C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518867932&sr=8-3&keywords=viofo+a119+v2

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S7W6FR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://https://www.amazon.com/BlackS...dash+cam&psc=1

In case the links don't work,
    Viofo 119 about 90.00 with a GPS
    Blacksys ch-200 about 300.00 ,front and rear camaras , gps , dedicated parking mode.
    Aukey 2 camara about 130.00

I researched before I bought and some usefull tidbits learned; Theres Korean and Chinese manufactors, the Korean are far better featured and built as a rule, but more $$. Dual camara is the way to go , you're protected in case of a rear collision. Software issues are prevalent , causing freezing etc. , pick a brand not prone to issues. Hardwiring so it goes on automatically when the car is on is the way to go, and its easy to do. There are memory cards specifically designed for uses like dashcams. The camara overwrites its data constantly, a normal SD card wont last long. Everything I looked at "saves " an event, triggered by a sensor that detects jolts. The 3 I have can also save with a manual button push. Button location is important, hit the wrong one and you might accidentally stop recording. Which brings up the need for the camara to alert ,audably, when it stops recording. My 3 do so.
    The Blacksys is the best of the 3, and costs the most.Korean. No view screen, settings are adjusted with either a smartphone (wifi capable) or a laptop. If hardwired correctly the parking mode activates auto when car is turned off. It will cut off at a predetermined battery voltage ,( setting is choosable) to not drain batt. Mine is set at 12.4v . Video is crystal clear both front and rear. There is a free viewer downloadable from the company site. Pretty cool, 3 screens showing front rear and a gps map with location. The camara talks, so theres no need to take eyes off road if screwing with it when driving. 2 thumbs up.

The Aukey. Chinese built, good bang for the buck. Takes clear video, a basic setup. Stable software, limited availability. It sells out on Amazon, then after a while is available again. An excellent bargin choice.

The Viofo 119 . Very goodcamara, solid build , excelnt video day or night, build Chinese camara. 1 camara. Polorizing filter option to cut reflections and glare. With or without gps. Cant go wrong with this one.

If your interested , go to Blackboxmycar.com , they are a retailer , their site has extensive reviews and how to install videos. Dashcamtalk is a forum with a ton of info on lots of brands. Car Cam Central is a UTUBE channel with helpful reviews. Heres some links , hope they work;

http://https://www.youtube.com/chann...UyDPwMgUSspRYw

http://https://www.blackboxmycar.com/

https://dashcamtalk.com/

On edit , damn it , theres 2 http's in my links, so no work. Links spate in following post. I suck at this