Thread: 10 Things Your Favorite Musician Won't Tell You

10 Things Your Favorite Musician Won't Tell You

Alex Skolnick (guitar player for Testament and Alex Skolnick Trio) recently wrote these 10 tips - that should be obvious - on some etiquette when meeting/interacting with your favorite musicians. Some good stuff here -I've witnessed most of these over the years and always felt bad for the musician involved:

http://skolnotes.blogspot.com/2013/0...=1372876234042

I have never understood the slavering rudeness of some fans, the thrusting of items to be signed or the inability to let the guy get on with attending to other fans. Shit, they are just musicians trying to make a living. If they weren't at an event with you they'd probably be home picking spinach out of their teeth. I have never understood hero worship.

Well said Alex.

I agree that fans can be rude but so can the musicians. Sometimes the whole concept of being a "rock star" goes straight to their heads to the point that they forget who feeds them. I'm not saying all are like that but some certainly seem to be.

I used to be somewhat of an autograph hound but I eventually got over it and these days rarely go out of my way to talk to them or get an autograph. It's not out of resentment or anything like that I just figure they have plenty of other fans to kiss their asses so they don't need me. Also, it's a case of been there done that. I must have met over 50 musicians and probably got at least that many autographs over time. Not as many as some people I'm sure but I eventually got burned out on it. Also, to be honest most musicians could care less that I saw them 5 times or back in 2005 or whenever. They support their fans but they really don't care about you as an individual. You won't see them again after all(unless you are an uber fan and chase after them).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 07-05-2013 at 02:18 AM.

I have the opposite problem. I'm so self-conscious of imposing on people or embarrassing them that I usually avoid talking to them, even when it would otherwise be perfectly appropriate. As a result, I probably appear unfriendly. But my warped logic seems to tell me the musician is thinking - "say, look at that guy hiding in the corner over there -- is that guy cool or what? No fanboy there, that guy's the real deal". And of course, they're not thinking that.

Meeting someone one on one or in a small group is much better, but in crowd situations I freeze up. On the other hand, I have no problem performing in front of a large crowd myself. It's just that I feel awkward when placed in the "fan" situation and can't help thinking the "idol" hopes I won't talk to him.