Thread: John Lee Hooker

John Lee Hooker

I recently saw a doc on this guy and need to have some of his work. He was fucking brilliant. Having browsed his discography, WHERE/WHAT does a person start with? At Allmusic, there's so many 4- & 5-star albums and compilations, it's overwhelming. Any recommendations on a starting point?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sorry, can't help with recommendations but I saw him in concert - it was really excellent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My introduction to JLH was the 1991 album Mr. Lucky, and I think it's a great place to start.

It's one f those guest-star studded albums, but don't hold that against it. It's got a stellar version of 'I Cover the Waterfront' with Van Morrison, 'Stripped Me Naked' with Carlos Santana and Chester Thompson, 'Susie' with Johnny Winter and, maybe best of all, a brooding, wonderful 'Highway 13' with John Hammond.

Here's the one with Van:

More traditionally, Serves You Right to Suffer, is also stunning, but IMO it's not as good an introduction.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    He was fucking brilliant.
    QFT

Everything he did with Canned Heat was good. He seemed to have a great synthesis with the late Alan Wilson. His solo stuff is great as well. It's just too big a discography to pick favorites from right now. A few weeks back I had the radio on in the car and some old John Lee Hooker song came on. I was in the mood and fell right into the groove. When the song was over I was forced to conclude the man was a blues genius. It's possible to miss that if you don't listen attentively. I count myself fortunate to have lived in his time.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I got to see him when he was touring The Healer. It was a really sweet show.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I saw him in 1975 and to my regret, I didn't have an appreciation for the blues in those days. He was the opening act for Gentle Giant that night.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The definition of irony. I have 1,000 albums burned onto my Ipod so let's say 5,000 to 10,000 songs. The first one up tonight before sleep, John Lee Hooker - Everybody's Blues. That's a coincidence, I'm sure, but pretty cool.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

You can't go wrong with JLH, it's all good
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Never really was into that old school, pre-electric-blues-rock of musicians like JLH, Muddy, Wolf, etc. I liked BB King the most out of that old school but overall my blues pretty much starts with the Claptons, Hendrixes, SRVs, etc. I did have one JLH album though:

The Healer (1989)

I had the cassette version. It's long gone and have no idea how it disappeared. I remember liking it. It had a bunch of guest musicians on it - Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Charlie Musslewhite, Thorogood, etc.

Hooker 'N Heat with Canned Heat is excellent.

I'd suggest you get "John Lee Hooker: The Legendary Modern Recordings 1948-1954". The originals, just guitar and foot and John Lee. It was in him, and it had to come out, and it did. You can find it cheap. I think these are much more fun than the Chess and other later recordings, but you can pick and choose from those later on, after you've got the basics firmly in hand.

The Legendary Modern Recordings 1948-1954
    Testament
    (most of the best Vee-Jay sides)

I saw him numerous times--almost always with white boy sidemen--the most memorable being when he opened for the Mahavishnu Orchestra in their public debut.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    I'd suggest you get "John Lee Hooker: The Legendary Modern Recordings 1948-1954".

[/video]

Seconded.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Always a huge fan but I agree, the discography is large and overwhelming and I never knew what to get, but I was never disappointed with any album I picked up. You'll find a lot of overlap with songs over different albums yet they can be very different versions, i.e. early solo numbers vs. later versions with electric guitar and/or backing band. It never gets old. "Same ol'... same ol' blues agin..."
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Though I'vec always payed attention to JLH ever since a tenn (I had a mega Blues-rock streak), the only album I've had of him was Hooker and Heat... and partly because of Canned Heat...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have Healer, & Mr Lucky and both are great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Somebody needs to very thoroughly researched & well-written book about the cat