Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Richest Musicians

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can guess #7 is a rapper, butb that's about it
    He's the man who broke Elvis Presley's record for most #1 albums by a solo artist. Naturally you've never heard of him. Out of touch much? Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jay-Z, as mentioned earlier, is a rapper, producer, manager, and now a sports agent. He's a businessman extraordinaire. He used to be involved in the NBA's Brooklyn Nets, but I think he had to give up his ownership piece in order to become an agent. I can't believe he's that low on the list.

Sean "Diddy" Combs has the annoying habit of giving himself new names every few years, so you may know him better as "Puff Daddy," "P-Diddy," or several other names that I wouldn't know as I'm not a rap guy. But he's also a business mogul, with a clothing line, record producing, etc.
    yeah, Puff Daddy I've heard from

Thanks
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I live under a rock as far as most popular music these days, especially rap, but even I know who Jay-Z and Puffy are

Bingo might have been a dick as a father and not everyones cup of tea as a singer, but he was no dummy:

A multimedia star, from 1934 to 1954 Bing Crosby was a leader in record sales, radio ratings and motion picture grosses.[5] His early career coincided with technical recording innovations; this allowed him to develop a laid-back, intimate singing style that influenced many of the popular male singers who followed him, including Perry Como,[6] Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin. Yank magazine recognized Crosby as the person who had done the most for American G.I. morale during World War II and, during his peak years, around 1948, polls declared him the "most admired man alive," ahead of Jackie Robinson and Pope Pius XII.[7][8] Also in 1948, the Music Digest estimated that Crosby recordings filled more than half of the 80,000 weekly hours allocated to recorded radio music.[8]

Crosby exerted an important influence on the development of the postwar recording industry. He worked for NBC at the time and wanted to record his shows; however, most broadcast networks did not allow recording. This was primarily because the quality of recording at the time was not as good as live broadcast sound quality. While in Europe performing during the war, Crosby had witnessed tape recording, on which The Crosby Research Foundation would come to have many patents. The company also developed equipment and recording techniques such as the Laugh Track which are still in use today.[9] In 1947, he invested $50,000 in the Ampex company, which built North America's first commercial reel-to-reel tape recorder. He left NBC to work for ABC because NBC was not interested in recording at the time. This proved beneficial because ABC accepted him and his new ideas.[9] Crosby then became the first performer to pre-record his radio shows and master his commercial recordings onto magnetic tape. He gave one of the first Ampex Model 200 recorders to his friend, musician Les Paul, which led directly to Paul's invention of multitrack recording. Along with Frank Sinatra, Crosby was one of the principal backers behind the famous United Western Recorders recording studio complex in Los Angeles.[10]

During the "Golden Age of Radio," performers often had to recreate their live shows a second time for the west coast time zone. Through the medium of recording, Crosby constructed his radio programs with the same directorial tools and craftsmanship (editing, retaking, rehearsal, time shifting) being used in motion picture production. This became the industry standard.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Oh, and where's the Top Ten Poorest Musicians list?
    Most of 'em are probably on here somewhere!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Toby Keith is worth over 500 million. Right wingers just don't get the same press coverage.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Don King is always singing the blues, I wonder how much he is worth.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Toby Keith is worth over 500 million. Right wingers just don't get the same press coverage.
    No, it's just that rednecks don't count.

Actually, rednecks can't count.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Actually, rednecks can't count.
    Toby Keith can count. To five hundred million.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sean Coombs is Puff Daddy. Puffy. You know, P Diddy. P Doodle Dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sean Coombs is Puff Daddy. Puffy. You know, P Diddy. P Doodle Dandy.
    OK Him, I do know. I had heard that McCartney was a billionaire (that was 20 years ago) was his divorce that brutal to his empire?

What about the King? I thought Elvis was worth magnitudes more dead than alive.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

How come Bono is richer than the other members of U2? It's not like he has a successful solo career or anything ?

I believe there was just an article this past week or last regarding Toby Keith who they say with sales, publishing, restaurants, his label, etc is approaching 500+ million in net worth. Keep in mind his publishing company is tied to some of the biggest stars. Every Taylor Swift record, airplay, etc nets him cash. Oh and he is a great guy that has made some damn fine music. Sorry most on a prog forum can't appreciate him.

As for Buffet, there was another article a few weeks back that stated that earnings tied to the song Margarittaville has far surpassed the earning tied to any other song in history. This includes sales, plays, concerts, islands, books, booze, etc, etc, etc.

Outside investments

Elvis is up there but not in the top 10
    http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...vis-net-worth/

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    though rap has always been beyond me, there's no doubt that's a huge industry.
    Which seems odd because kids today don't buy CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Toby Keith who they say with sales, publishing, restaurants, his label, etc is approaching 500+ million in net worth.
    Internet says no.

Sorry, it is Keith's earnings that passed 500mil not his net worth.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...id=rr-mus-buzz

Lennon's estate was worth $232 Million when he was murdered. Yoko, today, is worth about $500 million.

Yes, she's a musician. (ducks and covers)

CHRIST, DOES THIS MEAN CHRIS MCGUIRE WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY THAT BATCAPE BACK FROM EBAY?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Where's Sinatra?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Where's Sinatra?
    He had to share his revenues with the mob!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Where's Sinatra?
    Although an intensely popular singer, Sinatra never wrote anything. That's where the money is.

Elvis didn't really write anything, either, but Frank didn't have the cult of personality that Elvis did.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Elvis didn't really write anything, either, but Frank didn't have the cult of personality that Elvis did.
    Col. Parker you mean