Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes fans... Flash!

Yes fans... Flash!

BTW < this thread is for those interested in discussing the music on the CD, and not trolling/bashing/shit-slinging/digressing/getting OT about Peter Banks, Ray, Colin, and Sherry Noland, etc. > THANKS

I for one am pleasantly surprised over this new Flash album, featuring Ray Bennett and Colin Carter. There's some very good music here, and it sounds like... wait for it... Flash! Good vocals, better harmonies, some excellent songwriting, including "Night Vision", "Into the Sun", and "Grand Canyon". Instrumentally, it's very well performed, nicely arranged passages (check out "Morpheum" and "Richerd of Venice"), great bass tone and playing, and of course, Bennett's guitar playing, while not trying to emulate Banks', is quite tasty, perfectly suited for the music. The NIN cover doesn't really do it for me (but kudos for the attempt, I guess) as does the rehash of "Manhattan Morning". For my money, "10000 Movies" and "Something So Dark" are the best tracks on the album (couldn't find on youtube, or I'd post here). Again, I'm really shocked at how well this was put together, because I guess I really wasn't expecting much, 40 whatever years on. Raise a glass! Yes fans, this is part of your family tree, and one of the better offerings of late at that - I'd go as far as to call it a "major" release in that canon. Love to see them mount a tour, Ray and Colin!

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 07-01-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

X2!!

Those would be my thoughts. Carter can still get up there, but is smartly judicious about it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned

Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter tracks

X3!! Nice review, Strawb.

Links to hear three tracks from the new CD on Polish radio— "10,000 Movies", "Night Vision" and "Grand Canyon"...

Edit: Sorry, too late, they're gone. You'll have to buy the CD to hear them now!

"Hurt" on youtube...

And a 2010 live rehearsal of the older version of "Manhattan Morning"...
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 08-03-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Pleasantly surprised as well!

Good stuff here

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    OK, I flashed but I don't think anybody saw.

*Shocked* that the usual Yes fans aren't piping up about this one... why the apathy?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    *Shocked* that the usual Yes fans aren't piping up about this one... why the apathy?
    I love Yes, but Yes threads give me gas these days

I really started to enjoy them from Yes Album forward; as such, I don't generally think much about the earlier stuff or the related projects like Flash or the Syn. Nothing personal, and it's great to hear that the new Flash is well received by folks.

Thumbs up from me, and especially impressed by how well Ray Bennett moves over to lead guitar. Surprising how much it really sounds like Flash, considering NONE of the original instrumentalists are in place!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Thumbs up from me, and especially impressed by how well Ray Bennett moves over to lead guitar. Surprising how much it really sounds like Flash, considering NONE of the original instrumentalists are in place!
    Well noted, bRETT. Most reviewers have mentioned that it still sounds like Flash and have highly praised Ray on guitar, but I don't think any have noted that Ray is the only remaining instrumentalist from the first lineup. Or how extraordinary and gutsy it is for a phenomenal bass player to step into the legendary Peter Banks' position on lead guitar with such aplomb! And, of course, Colin's voice is a major factor in the continuity.

I think the fact that the band sounds like Flash today shows that Ray Bennett and Colin Carter were necessary for Flash to be what it was and is, and that those who think it was "Peter's band" are wrong. Pete knew better and said so.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've only heard a little Flash. I this new one prog?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    BTW, bRETT, we both forgot to mention that Ray played bass on the new CD as well as lead guitar, so it has that in common with original Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've only heard a little Flash. Is this new one prog?
    Flash was always described as more rock than Yes, and more prog than rock. Why don't you listen, JKL2000, and tell us what it sounds like to you?

I'm pretty sure they'd tell you good music is their only standard. They do what comes naturally — that's what you get — and they were doing it before it was called prog.

Banned
    Yesterday (July 14) was Colin's birthday. I got him a balloon...

999377_10201607593691390_1790664241_n.jpg

Kinda hoping this thread wouldn't go there ^

Banned
    You talkin' ta me, Strawb?! Or referring to the posts that went missing?

Colin's birthday balloon has a bit of background. The great ex-Flash roadie (and many other artists), Willie Fyffe, posts a "butt d' jour" (gorgeous girls) on his facebook page everyday. It's become a bit of a running joke. I posted this in return as my own "butt d' jour" for him..

'Flash'.jpg

Hence the "butt d' jour" balloon for Colin's birthday.

Butt....some actual news today. Another Flash review...in Dutch. Trying to decipher the robo-translators again....it's a good one.
    http://www.progopinion.blogspot.com/

Yes fans... flash! 12 year old girls! Charges pending. And now you know... the rest of the story.

Sorry, I've just been waiting to do that.

Any plans for Flash to tour? I for one would love to see them live.

Banned
    Tour is pending. Nothing definite yet so Ray asked me not to say more at present. I'll definitely let you know. You can also stay up to date at the Flash Facebook Page

Seems maybe they've put "Hurt" out there to represent the album. But it's not among my favorites either... at least so far. And "Manhattan Morning", first time I heard the rewritten version, just led me back to the original.
    The first Flash album I got included the phrase "featuring England's Peter Banks." - Lousy timing /lousy vibes on that aspect of the new release. - Don't think I even knew, in 73, Banks had been Yes' original gtrist. Got the album because I remembered liking Small Beginnings on the radio (and probably liked the cover... the only Flash cover that really said "PROG herein"). About a year later I ran across Yes' original LP... and only then realized why Flash music had a strong affinity to Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryChallenger View Post
    Seems maybe they've put "Hurt" out there to represent the album. But it's not among my favorites either... at least so far. And "Manhattan Morning", first time I heard the rewritten version, just led me back to the original.
    I agree, not very good choices. Again, IMHO "10000 Movies" and "Something So Dark" are the best tracks on the album.

Banned

Three new tracks...

You'll have to listen to a couple of tunes by Paul McCartney and the Beatles first, but if you can manage that , this Polish radio station played "10,000 Movies" next.

Edit: Sorry, too late. The broadcasts are no longer available.
    http://www.mlwz.ceti.pl/dmdocuments/mlwz2013-06-26.mp3

And on another show they played the opener, "Night Vision", then "Manhattan Morning." I like it, even though I like the original version, too. It's very atmospheric and so, so intimate. Colin takes me there...on a cold and grey Manhattan morning, with the subway rumbling underground; and "I feel like I'm the only one who knows how it feels to be this free."

http://www.mlwz.ceti.pl/dmdocuments/mlwz2013-06-19.mp3
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 07-27-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryChallenger View Post
    The first Flash album I got included the phrase "featuring England's Peter Banks." - Lousy timing /lousy vibes on that aspect of the new release. - Don't think I even knew, in 73, Banks had been Yes' original gtrist. Got the album because I remembered liking Small Beginnings on the radio (and probably liked the cover... the only Flash cover that really said "PROG herein"). About a year later I ran across Yes' original LP... and only then realized why Flash music had a strong affinity to Yes.
    I agree with your comment. "Hurt" really does not represent what the album is about. To me, it's just ok although it has some interesting moments, but if people like that song, then they should like the rest of the album even more.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I agree, not very good choices. Again, IMHO "10000 Movies" and "Something So Dark" are the best tracks on the album.
    I disagree here a bit. I found "Something So Dark" to be the weakest track on the album. It sounds a bit pedestrian and I didn't like the vocals on that one. "10000 Movies" is a good poppy prog song but I think the standout songs here are the epic "Into The Sun", the two instrumentals "Morpheum" and "Richerd of Venice", album opener "Night Vision", and I agree with Sherry Noland that the re-recording of "Manhattan Morning" is very atmospheric and it's pretty good to these ears (try listening to this one on the headphones!).

Banned
    I'm with you, Gerardo. Headphones are a great way to listen; there's so much going on, so many layers, all through the album; another reason you can keep listening and hearing new things. Sometimes I complain to Ray that I hear something beautiful that only happens once in a song..."why didn't you play that up?!" He usually laughs. We all hear and love different things. As for "Hurt" as the only track put out on video: It's tough to choose. I'm sure you've heard it's like choosing between your kids. I think there's a bit of that. They like them all. I think it's a good choice in that it's a familiar tune for many which makes it more "accessible," and for those who don't know Flash, hearing their treatment of it serves as an introduction. Anyway, it's the plan for ALL the songs to be heard eventually.

To those who have expressed concern about Peter's death and the release date of the CD, I'd like to say a few words.

The album was three years in the making. Pete heard three of the tracks just before his sudden death and we're told he liked them very much. He was working on a live Flash release of his own when he died.

Back in 2004 Pete and Mike were originally asked to join the reunion. Mike declined for personal reasons. Pete started to introduce roadblocks and problems, just like the old days that led to their premature breakup. By this time, Ray had been playing lead guitar for years and he and Colin had learned their lesson. They decided to carry on without him. I'll post a 2010 interview with Ray and Colin in which they talk about all this and more.

Aside from all that, the release date was set before Pete's death and involved planning and coordination. The breakup resulted in a 40 year wait. It was time.

I'm sure it was a bit bittersweet for Pete, but I like to think he's wishing the boys God's speed.

P.S. Ray says the title, "Fash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter" had nothing to do with anything but making it easier for people to find on the internet. I think it also serves to put people on notice that Pete's not on the CD.
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 07-19-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Banned
    This interview with Ray and Colin was done in 2010 just before the ProgDay Festival. A VERY casual, intimate discussion at Ray's home in Las Vegas...

Banned

Flash in 1980

During a reunion attempt in 1980...what turned out to be their last time on stage together with Pete, a jam night in L.A. at The Central (now the Viper Room)...

Central.jpgCentral2.jpgPeteColin.jpgRayPete-Apt.jpg
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 07-19-2013 at 01:09 AM.