Thread: Thinking Plague at the Olympia Experimental Music Show Last Night

Thinking Plague at the Olympia Experimental Music Show Last Night

Were mind-blowing, to say the least. The combination of Elaine's vocals, the impeccable musicianship, and of course, Mike's jaw-dropping compositions made for a show as good as any I've ever seen. They played several tracks from 'Decline and Fall', such as 'The Gyre', as well as plenty of earlier tracks including 'Rapture of the Deep' from 'A History of Madness', and 'Maelstrom' from In Extremis. The sets closing piece, 'Dead Silence' (one of my personal faves) was flawless. Plus the band maintained a sense of humor, and deep appreciation for being able to come and perform, and are just nice people. Of course, they are headlining Seaprog tonight.

I'm amazed at how they are able to reproduce that stuff on stage at all. I SO hope to catch them one time sooner or later.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sounds like a fantastic show. I would love to see them live--I hope they make it to Montreal or Ottawa at some point.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I had to travel to Baltimore and Carmaux to see them. I think they are a pilgrimage band
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm amazed at how they are able to reproduce that stuff on stage at all. I SO hope to catch them one time sooner or later.
    You wont be disappointed. They are so amazing live, that I burst into spontaneous laughter at choice moments.

I made an eight or so hour drive to Denver to catch them (as well as Hamster Theatre) early this month and it was so easily worth the time and effort to get there.

Were you the dude in the TP RIO fest shirt? I was the guy in the red Hawaiian shirt who had played earlier in the day.

Great show!! So stoked to have seen them play their music live. I think the two guitar lineup is quite a revelation, and am hoping to hear some killer audio of the PDX, Oly, or Seattle gigs at some point. Where is the thread re: Seaprog? Hearing all the parts reproduced in amps and stereo space, with separate and interlocked guitar bits, horns and keyboard lines locking together.. throwing a line across the group of musicians to be caught and echoed by one or other of the guitars.. meanwhile three of these lines are doing this thing simultaneously and well.. this is also part of a song. Not only old love song but deep laments for the absurd self destructive patterns of the human species, which somehow escape the pretense normally associated with such subjects. Another thing was the use of some kind of vocal effect to create artificial but perfectly effective sounding (in the live setting certainly) harmonies. So Elaine was playing sparse keyboard parts which controlled tense harmonic refractions of whatever she was singing. Very cool.

Quite an honor to be on the bill with these guys. Very genuinely nice people. Great to see Scott B there too. I imagine they killed it on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Purse View Post
    Were you the dude in the TP RIO fest shirt? I was the guy in the red Hawaiian shirt who had played earlier in the day.

Great show!! So stoked to have seen them play their music live. I think the two guitar lineup is quite a revelation, and am hoping to hear some killer audio of the PDX, Oly, or Seattle gigs at some point. Where is the thread re: Seaprog? Hearing all the parts reproduced in amps and stereo space, with separate and interlocked guitar bits, horns and keyboard lines locking together.. throwing a line across the group of musicians to be caught and echoed by one or other of the guitars.. meanwhile three of these lines are doing this thing simultaneously and well.. this is also part of a song. Not only old love song but deep laments for the absurd self destructive patterns of the human species, which somehow escape the pretense normally associated with such subjects. Another thing was the use of some kind of vocal effect to create artificial but perfectly effective sounding (in the live setting certainly) harmonies. So Elaine was playing sparse keyboard parts which controlled tense harmonic refractions of whatever she was singing. Very cool.

Quite an honor to be on the bill with these guys. Very genuinely nice people. Great to see Scott B there too. I imagine they killed it on Sunday.
    Yes that was me in the Thinking Plague shirt. I take it you were the synth player that sat on my right? Yes Elaine was harmonizing with herself on the keyboard. I'd like to hear her own music. And I didn't get that the other guitarist was Bill Pohl from Underground Railroad. He's officially in the band now, having moved to Denver. And Kimara's playing... fantastic. Anyway, great to meet you.

Bill