Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Gilmour solo albums

David Gilmour solo albums

So anyone think highly of Dave's solo records? I've been listening to the first two tonight. I have About Face on right. Really nice record, some good songs, guitar tones, and of course, guitar playing on it.

I never did get On An Island, nor any of the live stuff he put out from that tour.

You have his best 'About Face' !

Wish his Hammersmith gig from that tour would get officially released !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    You have his best 'About Face' !

Wish his Hammersmith gig from that tour would get officially released !
    It was officially released, back in 1984. It came out on VHS, it had the Live At Hammersmith concert and Beyond The Floyd documentary, plus the videos for Blue Light And All Lovers Are Deranged (oddly, Love On The Air appears neither in the concert nor amongst the promo videos, as I remember MTV airing it back in the day).

But I do agree it'd be nice to have it on DVD. It'd be particularly nice to know if they have the songs that were left off the original broadcast/VHS release and whether they could be reinstated to the program.

Totally forgot about the way that acoustic guitar solo morphs into an electric at the end of In The End.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So anyone think highly of Dave's solo records? I've been listening to the first two tonight. I have About Face on right. Really nice record, some good songs, guitar tones, and of course, guitar playing on it.

I never did get On An Island, nor any of the live stuff he put out from that tour.
    I personally only really like half of his debut album... and mostly the instrumental stuff... never fond of Gilmour's voice outside Floyd

I saw the About Face tour with Mick Ralphs and (I think... if anyone can confirm) Mel Collins, but could never get in that album.... It felt like Gilmour going Collins with those EWF horns stuff on a couple tracks...

As for On an sland, it's the snoozefest of the 21st century (Most likely, it won't be topped in the next 87 years)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like them in the order they were released: s/t, About Face, On an Island. s/t could have been a Floyd album (which I mean in the most positive way). About Face showed him branching out to new styles/sounds. I especially like Blue Light. On an Island, aside from the title track I find mostly boring. I really want to like it but can't distinguish any of the songs from each other other than the title track. I'm not including the live stuff here. Its hard to evaluate them with his solo stuff since he includes Floyd tracks.

I also saw the 1984 tour (St. Louis) and no, can't confirm Mel Collins being there. From what I recall of that show, it was mostly the new album plus a few Floyd tracks (Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb come to mind, maybe something from Dark Side) and maybe a couple of songs from the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I personally only really like half of his debut album... and mostly the instrumental stuff... never fond of Gilmour's voice outside Floyd

I saw the About Face tour with Mick Ralphs and (I think... if anyone can confirm) Mel Collins, but could never get in that album.... It felt like Gilmour going Collins with those EWF horns stuff on a couple tracks...

As for On an sland, it's the snoozefest of the 21st century (Most likely, it won't be topped in the next 87 years)
    Couldn't disagree more. I love "On an Island" and the tour was freaking brilliant.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like the debut a lot, the second does nothing for me unfortunately, I wanted to like it but the sound is of it's time and the songs just don't work for me, I saw that tour & they were great but the album less so.

On An Island is certainly a different animal but I like it a lot. If I'm looking for something mellow in that sitting on a beach with a cold beer kind mood it's perfect. The first one is still the one I listen to most often, There's No Way Out Of Here, Milhalis, & Raise My Rent are all great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Rate them as follows:

Live in Gdansk
    About Face
    On an Island
    Debut

Although, I haven't listened to the debut in a while. Today's a good day to revisit it, now that you mention it.

But basically, I really enjoy all of them, but Live in Gdansk might be my favorite live album of all time. Absolutely LOVE the wine glasses on "Shine on"

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

About Face is my favorite Gilmour solo album. The songs on there really stick with me. There is some decent stuff on the debut, but the mix of instrumental and vocals doesn't flow as well as I'd like. On An Island is a nice, relaxing album that grows on you over time.

I would rate them:

1. About Face
    2. David Gilmour
    3. On An Island

I like all 3 of them for different reasons, but "About Face" is his all around best to my ears. I have to be in the right mood for "On An Island", but there are parts of it that are great.

Steve Sly

So anyone think highly of Dave's solo records?
    yes, I like them all much better than anything PF released after Animals.

Banned
    It was officially released, back in 1984. It came out on VHS, it had the Live At Hammersmith concert and Beyond The Floyd documentary, plus the videos for Blue Light And All Lovers Are Deranged (oddly, Love On The Air appears neither in the concert nor amongst the promo videos, as I remember MTV airing it back in the day).

But I do agree it'd be nice to have it on DVD. It'd be particularly nice to know if they have the songs that were left off the original broadcast/VHS release and whether they could be reinstated to the program.
    I have the original VHS release, but I agree that a DVD would be nicer. Not sure why it hasn't been done. Transferred mine to DVD-R for convenience.

Band line-up, at least for this show, as follows:

David Gilmour: Guitars, vocals.
    Mick Ralphs: Guitars, vocals.
    Mickey Feat: Bass Guitar, vocals.
    Raff Ravenscroft: Saxophones, keyboards, percussion.
    Gregg Dechart: Keyboards, vocals.
    Chris Slade: Drums, Percussion.
    Jody Linscott: Percussion.
    Roy Harper: Vocals on "Short and Sweet" and percussion on "Comfortably Numb".
    Nick Mason: Drums on "Comfortably Numb".

I prefer DG's 1st album over About Face. On An Island just puts me to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I have the original VHS release, but I agree that a DVD would be nicer. Not sure why it hasn't been done. Transferred mine to DVD-R for convenience.

Except for Roy and Nick's guest appearances (I love Dave's intro for Comfortably Numb..."We better make it one he knows"), that was the band for the entire tour.

About Face doesn't sound as "of it's time" as a lot of records that came out during that era, which is kinda funny considering the musicians who played on it (which include Jeff Porcaro, Pino Palladino, Ian Kewley and Anne Dudley). If I remember correctly, I think Blue Light was the only song that had horns (and they were real horns, not sampled horns as everyone else was doing in 1984). I think Blue Light was distinctly aimed at radio/dance floor airplay (much the way Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 and Run Like Hell had been), I believe there was a 12" dance remix.

I love that bass solo Pino does on Murder, and that crazy whammy bar noise thing Gilmour does at the end of All Lovers Are Deranged. I don't hear any "grunted" vocals, though. I think he's singing the same as he always did on uptempo songs.

About Face is my favorite, but I don't own On An Island. I still regret not seeing the 84 tour. I do have live shows from the tour, and a show on VHS.
    VHS, that sounds so familiar...

I do like On an Island but I have to be in the right place for it. As far as Gdansk goes, I think the solo stuff fares better than the Floyd material because of the slower tempos. Pink Floyd never moved at the pace of the Who, but to slow things down even further is never a good idea.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I love all 3 for different moods so I cant rank them. I just play each for the mood I'm in at the moment.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I also saw the 1984 tour (St. Louis) and no, can't confirm Mel Collins being there. From what I recall of that show, it was mostly the new album plus a few Floyd tracks (Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb come to mind, maybe something from Dark Side) and maybe a couple of songs from the first album.
    Yup, nothing transcendental for me... I was hoping he'd more stuff of his debut, but alas... And the Floyf-d stuff was his own compositions

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post

Thanks !! no Collins, then ... And the Massey Hall show didn't feature Mason or Harper, you lucky dog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like the debut a lot, the second does nothing for me unfortunately, I wanted to like it but the sound is of it's time and the songs just don't work for me, I saw that tour & they were great but the album less so..
    well, AF is not that 80's-ish when comparing to other stuff coming out at the time, but it's still easily spotable as 80's...

About Face doesn't sound as "of it's time" as a lot of records that came out during that era, which is kinda funny considering the musicians who played on it (which include Jeff Porcaro, Pino Palladino, Ian Kewley and Anne Dudley). If I remember correctly, I think Blue Light was the only song that had horns (and they were real horns, not sampled horns as everyone else was doing in 1984). I think Blue Light was distinctly aimed at radio/dance floor airplay (much the way Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 and Run Like Hell had been), I believe there was a 12" dance remix.

I love that bass solo Pino does on Murder, and that crazy whammy bar noise thing Gilmour does at the end of All Lovers Are Deranged. I don't hear any "grunted" vocals, though. I think he's singing the same as he always did on uptempo songs.
    As I just said above, AF is not the most 80's-ish album, but still enough...

Somebody mentioned Gilmour's grunt vocals Yeah, on a few AF songs, he's definitely not the singer he is in Floyd (though I always preferred Water's softer voice tone >> *** scurries for cover *** )
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

I like all 3 of them for different reasons
    'Bout sums it up for me as well.. Gilmour is a favorite of mine.. never understood the dislike for On an Island.. very "Floydish" in places..

Self Titled is a bloody masterpiece...

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I love all 3 for different moods so I cant rank them. I just play each for the mood I'm in at the moment.

I wish he would have added a couple of songs from the first two albums when he toured in 2006. Can't believe it's seven years later already. I know that would be picking up the pace, but we need another new album!
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    On An Island is my favorite. It almost comes across as a followup to The Division Bell mixed with some throwbacks to pre Dark Side Floyd circa Meddle and Obscured By Clouds. I also think that Live In Gdansk is the single best officially released Floyd related live release.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

For anyone who's never seen it, here's most of the contents of the old David Gilmour VHS release that we talked about earlier in the thread:

And here's the two promo videos that made up the rest of the VHS release:

And just for the sake of completeness, here's the Love On The Air video, which mysteriously doesn't appear on the VHS release, not as a "video", nor as part of the Live At Hammersmith concert:

\.
    It did appear (sung by Gilmour) in Pete Townshend's Deep End Live video, so that may have been the version you saw.