Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD Storage - without jewel cases

CD Storage - without jewel cases

Like many of you, I'm running out of space for new CD's. It's possible I might be moving in the next year or so and just want to consolidate things for an easier move. I currently have no room for more racks, and I already have 6 mostly full binders. I don't want more binders, but am looking for good storage boxes if possible for just the discs and booklets. Any ideas?

jewelsleeve.com

How about just pruning your collection??? get rid of the deadwood or unessential stuff
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    jewelsleeve.com
    Everyone's favored solution, but be forewarned -- everyone who keeps the discs and dumps the artwork ends up regretting it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Everyone's favored solution, but be forewarned -- everyone who keeps the discs and dumps the artwork ends up regretting it.
    you don't need to dump the artwork

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    How about just pruning your collection??? get rid of the deadwood or unessential stuff
    But most of it IS essential! I guess that is hard to believe out of a collection around 1600 discs, but is totally true. I buy what I like, nothing really to prune. I doubt I have even a handful of discs that have zero good songs on them. Over the years I've given away or sold some music, but it's rare for me. And I'm not getting rid of something that contains worthwhile music, I don't see the point in that. I have started buying more music as MP3's, but only when I don't care about cover art or liner notes. I still feel the need to have a physical cd and booklet in most, though not all cases. This year though I've only bought a small number of discs, less than 10 physical cd's. But I want to solve this storage issue before buying more.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    jewelsleeve.com

OK, if you have the sleeves, what do you put them in? Their cases are crazy expensive, really a ripoff. $220 for a case? This IS what I'm looking for, but there has to be a cheaper alternative.

In case someone suggests it, no, I am not handy with tools, no chance of me building my own storage unit. Really what I'm looking for is something close to the case jewelsleeve.com is selling, but nowhere near as expensive. Would be nice to spend under 50 bucks if possible.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    But most of it IS essential! I guess that is hard to believe out of a collection around 1600 discs, but is totally true. I buy what I like, nothing really to prune. I doubt I have even a handful of discs that have zero good songs on them. Over the years I've given away or sold some music, but it's rare for me. And I'm not getting rid of something that contains worthwhile music, I don't see the point in that. I have started buying more music as MP3's, but only when I don't care about cover art or liner notes. I still feel the need to have a physical cd and booklet in most, though not all cases. This year though I've only bought a small number of discs, less than 10 physical cd's. But I want to solve this storage issue before buying more.
    Do you have any greatest hits cds? I've been taking the content of those and putting them on my ipod. Also, got rid of some country, funk, and soul cds.

Banned
    Start ripping to a lossless format and store the files on external drives. They cost less than those sleeves, binders and all that other shit in the long run. Then pack up the hard copies that you want to keep, instead of putting them on racks. Trust me - they'll take up much less space, even if you were to keep the jewel cases. I can store 1600 physical discs with their jewel cases in about 10 small U-HAUL boxes, stacked in a corner of a room. And I do.
    It's the shelving/racks that's taking up all your space, not the discs.
    Last edited by Banquo; 06-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Also, got rid of some country, funk, and soul cds.
    What if he really likes Country, Funk and Soul?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    That's just some advice I got when I started a similar thread. Try to stick to one genre, and download other to your ipod.

OK, if you have the sleeves, what do you put them in? Their cases are crazy expensive, really a ripoff. $220 for a case? This IS what I'm looking for, but there has to be a cheaper alternative.
    If you want something cheap and cheerful how how about something like this (this is on UK ebay but I guess you'd be able to find something similar). This set of boxes purports to store 260 CDs. In JewelSleeves or similar, you'll probably quadruple that.

Or there are these from IKEA. We have some of these. They are pretty solid and I think you can get about 25 CDs (with normal jewel case) per box.

BTW I have used these rather than JewelSleeves. I'm not sure how they compare but they seem to be much cheaper.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Try to stick to one genre, and download other to your ipod.
    I would have a hard time doing that, plus the fact that I've never even held an ipod in my hands. ipods are the 8 tracks of the 21st Century.
    Besides, whaddaya need one of those things for when you can stream your entire library to your phone? If you gotta get rid of something, go with the most expendable and replaceable shit like Foreigner and Styx. That's what I say.

But most of it IS essential! I guess that is hard to believe out of a collection around 1600 discs, but is totally true. I buy what I like, nothing really to prune. I doubt I have even a handful of discs that have zero good songs on them. Over the years I've given away or sold some music, but it's rare for me. And I'm not getting rid of something that contains worthwhile music, I don't see the point in that.
    suit yourself, of course... I only need the best.... the rest, I can often vborrow it from my library system should I ever have the urge to one day re-listen to it... waiting one week or losing much-needed available space ... it's a choice to make... and if there is only one or two good songs, I can make compilation CD-rs (thoough these are not eternal)

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    BTW I have used these rather than JewelSleeves. I'm not sure how they compare but they seem to be much cheaper.
    I kind of like these (see the video presentation below)...
    though I'd be afraid that the plastic sleeves starts sticking on the booklets (it's been known to happen with the wrong kind of material)... But the plastic of this firm looks like those vinylsleeves >> never had a problem with those sleeves... but I'd be more concerned with the booklet's quality than the plastic sleeves...

========================

Actually I've used those French wooden wine crates (12b) as shelves... but using the lid and downsizuing it you can make an internal shelf to the wooden case... these cases are pretty sturdy, they stack up no problem... and the Cds are already in their transport box is you're moving...

Apparently, they have the same for DVDs...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    No, none of that in my collection. The closest I come to country is the Marshall Tucker Band. Nothing close to funk or soul in my rather lilly white collection. Really it's all rock, jazz, classical and electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    If you want something cheap and cheerful how how about something like this (this is on UK ebay but I guess you'd be able to find something similar). This set of boxes purports to store 260 CDs. In JewelSleeves or similar, you'll probably quadruple that.

Or there are these from IKEA. We have some of these. They are pretty solid and I think you can get about 25 CDs (with normal jewel case) per box.

Some great ideas there, thanks! I really seem to like that Ikea box, that will likely be the direction I go in, perhaps with those sleeves for the discs and booklets. I want to move away from the plastic jewel cases no matter how thin. I'll still need racks for all the digipack cd's, but that is just a couple hundred tops.

Over the past few years I have put many of my cds in wallets. The problem with that is I like to keep the booklet so the wallets(more like mini suitcases it seems) tend to get really heavy even though they are only maybe 3/4 of the way full. I have thought about going back to jewel cases or maybe I'll do half and half. I have several in digi sleeves that I keep in small bins anyway.

I like those ikea boxes. The thing is you would have to label them. Maybe put A-E in one box and F through J in another and so on. At this point, already not all of my cds will be stored the same way anyhow(ie the digisleeves I mentioned)so I'm open to the idea of keeping some in regular jewel cases, some in smaller wallets, some in larger wallets and some in bins and whatever else is suitable. I think as long as I'm able to label them and figure out what is in where I'll be ok.I think the key is just to find something that works for you and maybe not get too caught up(like I tend to do but am slowly learning)in trying to store everything the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Over the past few years I have put many of my cds in wallets. The problem with that is I like to keep the booklet so the wallets(more like mini suitcases it seems) tend to get really heavy even though they are only maybe 3/4 of the way full.
    You are not kidding! I'm amazed how heavy these get. Tough for me because I have limited upper body strength thanks to my disability. I can lift them with some major effort, I usually put it on a chair when I need to open the wallet. I will stick with those for now, but once I end up actually moving and know what kind of space I have, I'll likely convert over to the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    wallets
    digisleeves
    Jewelsleeves
    CD Sleeves
    So what'ya do with Digipaks?

Thomas, just send the entire collection to me. I'll make sure it gets a fine home.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Moving? Out of your parents basement? You're barely in your 40s?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I am watching this thread with great interest.
    a few years ago I did away with 90% of our plastic jewel cases and went to cd notebooks and the plastic cd sleeves from OfficeMax (don't worry, I didn't chuck them in the landfill but instead donated them to a used record store and local library, they were very grateful).
    right now i'm remodeling the house and finding a better method of accessible storage is top priority, lossless formats, ipods, hard drives not an option, we still like physical media.
    oh, and what do we do with digipacks? well, the really cool ones we keep in the stereo cabinet (cool artwork that is - like Hidrea Spacefolk or the awesome Peeping Tom cd), the pretty good ones we strip the cd and put them in a shoebox that gets stored in the basement.

I went with a case logic 3 ring binder approach, very easy and compact. They do get heavy, but fits easily on bookshelf and accessible. This said, every thing is digital and don't use CDs much anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-KSW..._sim_sbs_hg_21

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Moving? Out of your parents basement? You're barely in your 40s?

out of topic (I don't think Tom said he was moving), but in Europe, this is less a matter of laughing in certain countries badly hit by the crisis (Spain, Portugal Greece, etc...)

but some (generally jobless) are moving back in in their parents' place, simply because they can't afford otherwise despite that they'd moved out 20 years ago >> so I can imagine that condensing your music is an issue to be considered by many