Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD Storage - without jewel cases

How do you organize a collection in 3-ring binders? Your flexibility to move stuff around must be limited, so do you have to mark the binder's spine with everything in it?

Go to liquor stores, musical instrument stores, Sam's Clubs, etc. You will find all the cardboard boxes you could possibly need for $0

The question is are they strong enough to hold 100 or so cds? If you put 50 cds in each box(after that it might get too heavy)and you have 5,000 cds then that's 100 boxes. If you have 1000 cds then that's 20 boxes which is still a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So what'ya do with Digipaks?

I keep mine in small plastic bins. It only holds about maybe 20 cds or so but I don't have that many digipaks at the moment. It has a handle on it. I don't know how to describe it other than it sort of looks like a plastic tool box. I bought mine at wal-mart which is where you can find them. Staples might have something similar.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 07-04-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The question is are they strong enough to hold 100 or so cds? If you put 50 cds in each box(after that it might get too heavy)and you have 5,000 cds then that's 100 boxes. If you have 1000 cds then that's 20 boxes which is still a lot.
    Those wooden wine crates - or even the cardboard ones) are designed to be handles with 12 x .075l >> which makes Kg plus the weight of the 12 glass bottles .... >>> i'd say you can easily fill them to the brim with CDs
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Moving? Out of your parents basement? You're barely in your 40s?
    OK, I'll bite. As you likely know, I'm disabled, and shock of shocks, DO live with my elderly parents. No, not in a basement. We are on one floor of an over 55 development - a beautiful but modest house actually. I'm wheelchair bound but nearly fully independent -work full time anyway. My parents health has deteriorated, so really we are three disabled people and help each other quite a bit. It's not ideal, but we make it work. I always thought I'd move out when I got married, but that never happened -don't think marriage is in the cards for me. By the time I started to realize marriage wasn't for me, I had already lost much of my mobility. Around 2001 I thought of getting my own place, and was working towards that. But my employment status became a mess in 02, and hardly worked until landing my current job in late 03. At this point, living on my own would have been possible but difficult, but I had no money. These days, I have the money, but would need a LOT of assistance. Some health scares of my parents are leading us to a likely move in 2014, closer to the rest of our family up in northern NJ. Maybe even assisted living. Space will be a premium, so lugging all my cd's there, among other things might be a problem. Don't know where I will be living, but having as much space as I enjoy today? I doubt that will happen. So CD storage is a small part of what I will need to worry about, but still a concern. No, I don't want to give away any music if I can help it. I worked hard at collecting so much great music, I want to be able to keep it and play it for decades to come.

Thomas, I was in an assisted living facility a few months ago. As I was walking down the hall I saw in one guy's room this gigantic rotating CD rack. I swear, he got the fucking thing out of store or something. And he was far older than you or even me. Apparently you can take it with you.

Check IKEA. It would be a pain in the ass for you to get around one of their stores but they've got more storage options than anyone. My wife bought a ton of those cardboard CD cases and their wall racks are pretty space saving (and cheap).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I use the Memorex CD & DVD sleeves, Office Depot, Walmart, Big Lots, etc. carry them, and you can put the artwork inside if it's not huge.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Memorex-CD...21960/25566530

Office Depot has these plastic storage bins too, and they can fit under your bed: http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...c-Storage-Box/

Staples sells those cd sleeves too but I think only their online store which is where I bought some a few years ago.

One modest suggestion which will go just a small way to improving things ... if you have any CD's with just a single sheet of "booklet", there's easily enough space in the jewel case to put 2 in there. eg I have some of the early Camel CDs with "minimal" booklets and it was easy to pair 'em up with 1 CD on the clear side and 1 in its proper place ... thus saving precious inches on the shelves ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Check IKEA. It would be a pain in the ass for you to get around one of their stores but they've got more storage options than anyone. My wife bought a ton of those cardboard CD cases and their wall racks are pretty space saving (and cheap).
    Actually big stores are easy for me, thanks to my scooter. Heck, I think most people are jealous of me as they walk around in huge stores like that. I just may have to go to Ikea.

I despise those jewel cases. I don't have any in decent condition. I keep all my CDs in flawless condition, yet they're housed in jewel cases that are all scratched up and cracked. How the hell do these things crack so easily?! I have to put a sticker on ones in which the teeth of the inner "wheel" are broken off and don't hold the CD in place, this way when I open the jewel case, there's no surprise when the CD comes flying out, I can anticipate it.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I had a friend who stored all his CD's in a Window that faced an ally. He didn't need the light because there were other windows in the room, he didn't like the view. He put up Tinfoil to block any light from getting to the Cd's, and just stacked them up with a narrow piece of wood between each row. It was a neat way to showcase the CD's without taking up any room. I thought it was cool. I cant do that in my house, because the Mrs would smash my balls with a sledge hammer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I despise those jewel cases. I don't have any in decent condition. I keep all my CDs in flawless condition, yet they're housed in jewel cases that are all scratched up and cracked. How the hell do these things crack so easily?! I have to put a sticker on ones in which the teeth of the inner "wheel" are broken off and don't hold the CD in place, this way when I open the jewel case, there's no surprise when the CD comes flying out, I can anticipate it.
    I think if you were to look at some of the discs that are in broken jewel cases, you'll actually find most of them to be scratched. If the "teeth" break, then the disc slides around in the case, scratching the disc. There's no way around it. The blemishes closest to the center of the disc also cause the most problems upon playback. Of course they may still play, but there's no longer any re-sale value to speak of. The digipaks are actually worse, because they're in there so tight that they can be scratched on the first removal.

I have thousands of cd's with no broken cases, and every single disc looks like it's brand new, because I take care of them.

This is what we use. Each of the towers can hold about 1000 CDs. The shelves are adjustable, so we can make some bigger to hold over-sized packages.

We didn't buy it from this company, but it looks similar: http://www.cymax.com/Prepac-OMS-1060...NING-TOWER.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Space will be a premium, so lugging all my cd's there, among other things might be a problem. So CD storage is a small part of what I will need to worry about, but still a concern. No, I don't want to give away any music if I can help it. I worked hard at collecting so much great music, I want to be able to keep it and play it for decades to come.
    You sound like a prime candidate for iTunes, iCloud and a 2Tb drive.