Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite unknown/little-known bands

Your favorite unknown/little-known bands

I thought this might be a good way for word to get out about brand-new prog artists or woefully underappreciated ones to get some exposure. As a prog podcaster, I'm always interested in being introduced to the hidden gems, so I'm hoping to hear about some of those bands by starting this thread.

I'll start it off with a band from Virginia Beach called Divine Ratio. They released their debut Split by Unity in September, and for the moment it's download only, although they're working on getting physical copies printed. Very Porcupine Tree-sounding, and their guitarist admits to a heavy admiration for David Gilmour. I had their lead singer Bryan Knispel on my show for an interview a couple months back. Their single is called "One Less God," which is a response to those who might imply that events like natural disasters are some sort of heavenly retribution for sin. Well worth checking these guys out.

Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Ascended Masters. Slightly Canterbury.

http://ascendedmasters.bandcamp.com/...aproject-theme
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Underground Railroad
    Advent
    Polyethylene Pet/+1
    Rascal Reporters
    Sanguine Hum
    Karda Estra

all board members, btw
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Underground Railroad
    Advent
    Polyethylene Pet/+1
    Rascal Reporters
    Sanguine Hum
    Karda Estra

all board members, btw
    That's a great list. All excellent artists. I might add Ere G (lovely symphonic music from Quebec - a bit of Hackett, Ant Phillips, PFM, Genesis, Harmonium, Camel all mixed perhaps) and somewhat known, but not nearly enough - Mr. Sirius. Much better than it sounds, kind of Hackett meets Canterbury meets fusion.

Resistor. They've gained slightly in popularity in the last year or so but not as much as they deserve. Great little band, and to be honest I like Steve Unruh's solo catalogue even better - I wish there was more of it readily available to link here. He was recommended by a friend a few years back and I took a chance on one of his albums on iTunes. Within weeks I had purchased every last one of his and Resistor's CDs. Outstanding and talented multi-instrumentalist. Right up there with Phideaux Xavier and Matthew Parmenter for modern-day prog musicians/songwriters. In fact, all three of their catalogues can be found in the same area of my shelves.

Lyrian. I brought them up on PE 2.0 a while back but found I was in a tiny minority who like them. I was intrigued by an article I read in PROG magazine and ordered both their albums direct from them - gorgeous artwork in these. Their second, the sprawling, two-disc set The Tongues Of Men And Angels clocks in at a Flower Kings-worthy 126 minutes! I know the vocals are the main hurdle for some people here, and I understand that (personally, I don't mind the actual singer, but the way the vocals are mixed sometimes is over the top)... but I just love this stuff overall. I hope some of you at least give them a chance.

Mindgames. Possibly more well-known than the others(?) but again, not nearly as well known as they should be, even in prog circles. I expect there are fans here, of course, but I don't recall much discussion of them. I wanted to post the epic track from their MMX album but it's not on YT. "Neo" haters may want to give this a pass.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

AFT
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pikapika TeArt - Siberian Chamber Rock

Arteria - Mexican band with heavy Univers Zero influence, includes members of Nazca & Culto sin Nombre

3 Mice - Mellow, edgy project from Dave Willey, Elaine De Falco & Cedric Vuille

MoeTar - Edgy Prog Pop from Oakland with outstanding female vocalist & featuring Matt Lebofsky of Secret Chiefs 3 on keyborads

Unit Wail - new Frank Fromy (Shub Niggurath) project, has a Shub guitar sound but modern edgy feel excellent

Corima - US Zeuhl band who are a cross between Magma & Koenjiyakki

Ske - Paolo from Yugen's solo project, lovely blend of vintage symph & avant
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Divine Ratio - interesting stuff ... is their EP of comparable quality?

I don't actually have the EP, but I believe that was done without the producer for Split by Unity, Tom Gwaltney. According to Bryan Knispel (DR's singer), he was very instrumental in shaping the sound of Split.

And thanks for the suggestions here, everyone!
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Firefly Burning, with a mix of folk, gamelan, post-rock and modern jazz. http://www.fireflyburning.co.uk/ for details. They play live in London and have one album out, Lightships.

Biota. Have been around for years and recorded several albums, but still little-known. Object Holder (with Chris Cutler guesting) is the one to get. Very avant-garde, but also very melodious.

Michael Sherwood. Billy's older brother and did backing vocals for ABWH on Union. Has worked with Michael Jackson and Steve Porcaro. But a great artist in his own right. Try and find his solo album Tangletown, like a modern Peter Gabriel.

Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, jazz-y project from former Smashing Pumpkins drummer. Not unlike Bruford!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    I recently stumbled onto a new band called Transcend. Damn good stuff!
    Best description would be Symphonic prog with metal edges, or prog metal with symphonic edges:
    their website: http://www.transcendband.com/
    here's an excerpt of their stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BV1tvOgrgA
    most of their new album is on Youtube, and well worth it to get on CD. The guitar work is exquisite, the young keyboardist is very energetic and quite talented.
    Check them out.

Robert

Yes, I've heard Transcend's music, and I agree. Haven't picked it up yet, but I plan to.

[QUOTE=Progatron;6801]Resistor.

Lyrian. I know the vocals are the main hurdle for some people here, and I understand that (personally, I don't mind the actual singer, but the way the vocals are mixed sometimes is over the top)... but I just love this stuff overall. I hope some of you at least give them a chance.

Sorry but the vocals are much more than a hurdel. These are the single most laughable vocals ever. But at least if I'm feeling down, I can always hear a minute of Lyrian (more would be dangerous) and then I will be
    laughing for hours.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Firefly Burning, with a mix of folk, gamelan, post-rock and modern jazz. http://www.fireflyburning.co.uk/ for details. They play live in London and have one album out, Lightships.

Biota. Have been around for years and recorded several albums, but still little-known. Object Holder (with Chris Cutler guesting) is the one to get. Very avant-garde, but also very melodious.

Henry
    I picked up the Firefly album earlier this year based on your reco Henry, it's very good, highly recommended.

I picked up the latest Biota album, Cape Flyaway, very good, can't speak to Object Holder.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I will present the same band like the user Progtopia. He already show the info of the band Divine Ratio, so I will post only an album preview of their first full length album entitled 'Split by Unity' I really enjoy this peace of art folks!

divine ratio split by unity download
    Rock on!
    Last edited by tu66; 01-30-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Top of my list: Nektar. Yes, they're known here. But, outside of the Prog community, I have yet to run into anyone who knows of them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Top of my list: Nektar. Yes, they're known here. But, outside of the Prog community, I have yet to run into anyone who knows of them.

Thats why I didnt post I.Q. as my pick: On this board, they are well-known but -outside of PE - the general public has no clue who they are

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Thats why I didnt post I.Q. as my pick: On this board, they are well-known but -outside of PE - the general public has no clue who they are
    I hear ya. IMO, Nektar is one of those bands that could have been as big as the big five, if only self-inflicted "circumstances," timing and luck didn't work against them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Light, with only album Light. Mario Driessen project from late 90s. A couple epic moments there with 22min number. Was out on SI music and replicated in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Resistor. They've gained slightly in popularity in the last year or so but not as much as they deserve. Great little band, and to be honest I like Steve Unruh's solo catalogue even better - I wish there was more of it readily available to link here. He was recommended by a friend a few years back and I took a chance on one of his albums on iTunes. Within weeks I had purchased every last one of his and Resistor's CDs. Outstanding and talented multi-instrumentalist. Right up there with Phideaux Xavier and Matthew Parmenter for modern-day prog musicians/songwriters. In fact, all three of their catalogues can be found in the same area of my shelves.

Lyrian. I brought them up on PE 2.0 a while back but found I was in a tiny minority who like them. I was intrigued by an article I read in PROG magazine and ordered both their albums direct from them - gorgeous artwork in these. Their second, the sprawling, two-disc set The Tongues Of Men And Angels clocks in at a Flower Kings-worthy 126 minutes! I know the vocals are the main hurdle for some people here, and I understand that (personally, I don't mind the actual singer, but the way the vocals are mixed sometimes is over the top)... but I just love this stuff overall. I hope some of you at least give them a chance.

Mindgames. Possibly more well-known than the others(?) but again, not nearly as well known as they should be, even in prog circles. I expect there are fans here, of course, but I don't recall much discussion of them. I wanted to post the epic track from their MMX album but it's not on YT. "Neo" haters may want to give this a pass.

Mindgames #2 was interesting, I had high hopes for #3, but it didn't deliver. And although I had all 3 albums in my shopping cart at some stage, I clicked 'bin it'. there was just 1 song that I liked from the last album (forgot titles etc). Vocals on #2 were quite exciting, lively honest etc. Simon Says (who are a worthy contender in that category) type of thing. Maybe next time.

Little known by whom? The general public? Then I'd go with Phideaux, Panic Room, Hatfield and the North and Magenta among others. Little known by prog fans? I don't think I know any band that many of you don't already know...

Wow, to many to name them all. Some of my very favorites that seem to be almost totally unknown:

Antiheroe (Argentina)
    Apothecary (US)
    Castle Canyon (US)
    Deformica (Argentina)
    Effecto (Chile)
    Exsimio (Chile)
    Flotante (Chile)
    Govea (Mexico)
    Klaine Trio (Chile - Media Banda offshoot)
    Manogurgeil (Finland)
    The Other Side (US)
    Tanger (Argentina)

Plenty of others, but those are the ones that pop to mind. Mostly bands that are still active, or at least were not too long ago.

Bill

Fulano
    Mediabanda
    Horeja
    Impact Fuze
    Leprechaun
    Alexander Kostarev Group
    Stratus
    Residence Of The Future
    The Gourishankar
    Visitor 2035
    Flying Island
    lgzit-nine
    Amagrama
    Toehider
    Phoenix Eye
    TAAL
    Talisma
    Kada
    Gecko's Tear
    Jetlag - Delusiones Optica
    Shinsekai
    Naikaku
    Azoth - The Awkards Age's End
    Banda Elástica
    Q - 2011 - Abduccion
    Mahesh - Procesos
    Simon Steensland
    Samla Mammas Manna and related
    Parallel Mind
    Akribi
    Toccata - Circe
    Octopus
    Heart of Sun
    Persona Grata - Reaching Places High Above

Syd Arthur. Slightly Canterbury.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.