Thread: The Pirates - Shakin All Over (Johnny Kidd/ Mick Green)

The Pirates - Shakin All Over (Johnny Kidd/ Mick Green)

Mick Green of Pirates

Banned

Thanks ! Who's perfomance is great.

Banned
    I really like the Guess Who version for the tempo and the piano. Changes the dynamics of the song without losing the feeling.

For some reason I remember seeing Mick Green/Pirates open for someone back in the late 70's, although I might be wrong. There were so many bands that dressed like pirates in those days.

[QUOTE=Banquo;120631]I really like the Guess Who version for the tempo and the piano. Changes the dynamics of the song without losing the feeling.

Now.I want to listen it again.'
    Pirates,they were absolutle nothing in USA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Pirates, they were absolutle nothing in USA.
    Yeah, but there was that period in the 70's when a buncha "nothing" bands toured with larger acts here in the US. Here's one I can remember in particular. I think they opened for Uriah Heep and Foghat...

How about a much more recent cover of Shakin' All Over (with pre-recorded backing accompaniment)

"Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, along with Cliff Richard, were unusual in being authentic British rock 'n' roll musicians at a time when most of it came from the US. Gene Vincent was an example, but I gather he had a bigger career here than in the US. Whether or not the Pirates were known in America is not very relevant; they inspired many if not most British rock bands of the sixties and seventies. Paul McCartney worked with Mick Green in the early days of The Beatles and up to Green's premature death.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    How about this version?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    How about this version?
    Nice! Chad Allan version. Even the Greg Lake thing seems to be based on that arrangement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Nice! Chad Allan version. Even the Greg Lake thing seems to be based on that arrangement.
    So, that's who that was in post 7?

Banned
    So, that's who that was in post 7?
    Funny.

Actually, The Pirates in '78 were doing the same thing as The Troggs tried in '73-'74 and again in the early 90's by aligning their dated stuff with the current trends and artists that claimed them as inspiration.

I still like the original version with Johnny Kidd And The Pirates above all others.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    I still like the original version with Johnny Kidd And The Pirates above all others.
    I guess you should change your screen name to Rock Geezer now.

I guess you should change your screen name to Rock Geezer now.
    LOOOL

Anyway, here it is. The original version. And remember, this is the birth of english rock pre Beatles (it was released in 1961).

And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

The first version I ever heard was by The Who-Live At Leeds less than a couple years ago. Love The Who's version. Those guitar chords are badass.

Add me to the list of fans of Johnny Kidd & The Pirates. Authentic UK pre-Beatles band that rocked pretty convincingly. This 2 CD set is the stuff you want to get hold of because it shows how much rock was going on in the UK and that there was really good stuff before The Beatles kicked the door in.

http://www.rockhistory.co.uk/cd-the-...ish-beat-boom/