Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What's the difference between the old prog sound and new prog sound

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    When it comes to guitar tones I tend to prefer the old school approach of an amp of choice, a few pedals and proximity to speakers for feedback effects. It seems that all the OGs of prog did some combination of this sort of thing to achieve their sound. No one really sounded like Fripp or Gilmour or Page because their set-up and technique for using it was all their own. Someone might try to imitate it but instead of doing it picture-perfect would develop a similar sound yet one all their own through trial and error. The digital effects era now offers at least hundreds of effects at the touch of a button or is a mouse-click away. The Internet lets you communicate with other musicians or music fans and find out what a particular guitarists rig is and what his settings are -- suddenly you can at least have a tone that's just like that one. Rather than create infinite diversity in infinite combinations, the technology has made it possible to have dozens and dozens of sound-alike guitarists who are simply adopting a tone because they like it from hearing it.

I also think that the popularity and influence of the guitar institutes and schools has forced an orthodoxy on playing styles especially when it comes to virtuosity. Is there some rule that I don't know of that says one must revere Joe Satriani above all other guitarists? I may like some of the trickery of this kind of player but no matter their virtuosity they will never approach (in my mind and taste) the uniqueness of a Holdsworth who, for lack of a better word, was and is a freak of nature. His natural gifts or quirks give his shredding a fluid feel that seems lacking in the metal era approximation. As for Holdsworth and tone, his guitar solo during the Soft Machine song "Hazard Profile" doesn't buzz or crackle or crunch, it just takes that simple tone he's using for his guitar and then wows you with those insanely technical runs.

This is my take on guitar and is all from the point of view of a music listener and amateur musicologist (and overthinker).
    Nice post dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post

Is there some rule that I don't know of that says one must revere Joe Satriani above all other guitarists?
    Not to my knowledge. He's just a poor man's Chris Spedding.

Back then it was a respected movement albeit very underground.

What does it all stand for today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Back then it was a respected movement albeit very underground.

What does it all stand for today ?
    For many (not-all), its "shred-guy chops fest" and a "holier-than-thou-other-type-of-musician" snobbery. There: I have said it. Chastise me as you see fit. For a lot (not all) of newer bands, that is the message I get from the music.
    As always, your mileage may vary

I do find it ironic that many people who say they like "Progressive" music refuse to countenance anything released after 1975......

Each era has its good and bad, the same as any music but for me the music on labels such as Kscope today is as good as anything released in the last 40 years. I say that because I get far more enjoyment from seeing the new generation of bands making their way in the business than a group of pensioners trying to recapture long-faded glories.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    For many (not-all), its "shred-guy chops fest" and a "holier-than-thou-other-type-of-musician" snobbery. There: I have said it. Chastise me as you see fit. For a lot (not all) of newer bands, that is the message I get from the music.
    As always, your mileage may vary
    I agree. Even though i'm not sure my band falls into the prog metal category, we consciously try to avoid shred fests and long guitar-keyboard unison pieces.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

I don't get the criticism about "chops/shred fests". I'm sure there are bands fitting that description (no doubt!), but they are far in the minority of what I listen to. Yes, I've purposely avoided most music like that in favor of other characteristics (songs)....so maybe I've gotten a skewed view of the modern prog landscape?

Or are we just talking prog metal here?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I don't get the criticism about "chops/shred fests". I'm sure there are bands fitting that description (no doubt!), but they are far in the minority of what I listen to. Yes, I've purposely avoided most music like that in favor of other characteristics (songs)....so maybe I've gotten a skewed view of the modern prog landscape?

Or are we just talking prog metal here?
    Mostly prog metal i think.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

It was possible during the late 1960s & early 1970s to talk of aspiration, the hope that we could change the world by playing music
    Fripp