Thread: Questions about 2 newer Philly venues - Union Transfer/Underground Arts

Questions about 2 newer Philly venues - Union Transfer/Underground Arts

I have a few questions about 2 newer Philly venues. These are Union Transfer and Underground Arts. How are these places? Do they have any seats at all? Being somewhat older than 30, I really hate to stand. I'm going to see HAwkwind at Union Transfer and Anathema and Goblin at Underground Arts. Do these venues start on time?

Thanks,

Bob

Union Transfer is a great place to see a show.

I don't think there are any seats (if there are, they would be upstairs).

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    cool! I bought a ticket to see Hawkwind at Union Transfer...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Union Transfer definitely doesn't have permanent seats. I suppose they may bring in chairs depending on the gig. I would guess Hawkwind would bring an older crowd.

Curious about the other one myself.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

These venues are new to me, too. I am seeing OMD and Paul Weller at the Union Transfer and Goblin at Underground Arts. Does anyone know what the parking situation for these venues is like?

Library Jon

UT has a small lot and there is plenty of street parking.

Plenty of street parking at both venues. Both are in developing neighborhoods, but both are relatively safe...again, its like any other part of the city really when it comes down to it. Underground Arts is now competing with The Trocadero and the TLA, similar size, very nice venue, they put a lot of money into it. Chances of seats for the Hawkwind show are slim to none, I'd expect the same for Goblin. Its also worth noting that Goblin is sold out, 400-500 capacity venue, so it will definately be standing room, no room for chairs taking up space when you sell a room out. Underground Arts is just that, its Underground, very NYC vibe to the venue. Under a large warehouse / loft apartment building / office building. Cool space, but a little grungy in a good way. Both venues are good with advertising start times. Expect the Hawkwind set time to be listed on the UT website and expect them to hit the stage very close to the listed set time. With Goblin based on the current door time of 8pm, I'd expect something like 8:30/9pm for SC3 and 10/10:30 stage time for Goblin. Again, I have the feeling one of the venue or promoter sites have the times listed for Goblin and if they do they will run close to the times listed. Most club shows start about 30 minutes (sometimes 60 minutes) after listed door times. Have fun, two great shows! And expect a very diverse crowd at both, lots of hipsters love both these bands and the shows are primarily promoted to that audience.

Space Cadet
    Both are great venues. There are seats at UT on the upper level, but not many (IIRC there were a few tiered benches in the center above the lower-level bar, but it has been a while since I've been there so that might no longer be accurate). Don't expect to get a seat with any kind of a view unless you get there really early. But given the demographics of this show maybe they will make some changes? Might be worth asking in advance if it is an issue. Overall UT is the best venue in the city for the size and I am thrilled Hawkwind are playing there. Great sound system, easy to get around. They were originally supposed to be at UA but R5 offered a bigger guarantee. I'm ok with that.

UA is also very good...I saw Tangerine Dream there a little while ago. For that show they did have plenty of seats floating around (folding chairs), but for Goblin I suspect most of them will be gone. But I would probably expect to see some tucked away somewhere. The vibe is much more "condensed" that UT, and more "DIY" in a way. Would be great for Goblin...going deep underground to a dimly lit chamber. October is going to be amazing.

And yea, parking is easy for both. There is a lot behind UT and one across from UA, but street parking is easy to find. Not like going to the TLA or anything (thankfully).
    Last edited by Toka; 07-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.