Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tangerine Dream -I need your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I jumped off the TD wagon after the Dante trilogy, with the rare exception (Kyoto, DM4, Rockface). I will check the two above out. Can anyone recommend anything else after 2005? People who think they haven't done anything good since the Virgin years need not apply.
    I've been told "The Five Atomic Seasons is pretty good. I also jumped ship with Inferno, and figured 45 cd's of their music is enough -includes live and soundtrack discs. But I am curious about the post Dante trilogy material.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I LOVE Sorcerer! So creepy and cool at the same time. Funny thing, I remember back in the 70's when the movie came out, long before ever hearing any TD. I didn't see the movie, but I remember the music in the ads as being rather bizarre, as they show a truck crossing a bridge nearly falling apart -I believe its on the album cover. Years later when I became a TD fan around 1986 I was shocked to find out that was TD music in the movie. I understand its not a very good film (a remake of "Wages of Fear"). Still want to see it sometime just to find out how they used the music.
    I remember my wife and I went to see it back in I guess the 70's. I was expecting a movie about sorcerers, not about trucks hauling Nitro.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Talking about their soundtracks, one of my favorite TD soundtrack moments is the closing credits music for "The Park Is Mine." Especially the part that kicks in around 2:30. Lots of Firestarter is nice, too.

Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

^^^^

you gotta be kidding!!! ... you heard the beatbox rhythms on that track??? it sounds like some cheap new age crap

Definitely not worthy of TD, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The chord progressions are what I'm talking about. Sure, the drums are eh, and the CD mix could use some work, but something about those chords always gets me.

Edited to add: The rest of that soundtrack's pretty mediocre, though.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    The chord progressions are what I'm talking about. Sure, the drums are eh, and the CD mix could use some work, but something about those chords always gets me.

It that was the best of the disc ...... I'll paaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The unfortunate thing about TD's 80s soundtrack output is kind of like what they've been doing with the tons of releases in the past 10 years or so: A few great nuggets in the middle of mostly boilerplate electro-mood stuff that doesn't stand up well on its own. The Park Is Mine music works well in the context of the film (which is B-grade at best), but I still like those end credits, though.

Some bits from The Park is Mine resurfaced on the Froese/Schmoelling release 'Kyoto' from a few years back. Those chord progressions are ALL Schmoelling. And they are damned swanky, 80's cheese or not

I love it how Hollywood seems to forget that, when camouflaging the face, it's just as important to treat the neck, ears, forehead, & lips.

I love it when the DVD artist can't seem to fact check to see just how the NY Yankees logo appears on a ballcap.

I have this CD. To these ears it is very much a product of it's time. I would agree that there's a lot of noodling with TD music & some occasional gems. But this is my opinion & why I jumped ship with the Dante trilogy.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I have this CD. To these ears it is very much a product of it's time. I would agree that there's a lot of noodling with TD music & some occasional gems. But this is my opinion & why I jumped ship with the Dante trilogy.
    I didn't totally jump ship, but I bought Inferno, listened to it (I think) twice, and may never hear it again. Their worst album IMO by a country mile.

It pains me to say it, but I probably have more music (CDs & albums) than I really need. And I have way more TD than I really need. So why haven't I gotten rid of any of it? Lazy. And insecure.

It pains me to say it, but I probably have more music (CDs & albums) than I really need. And I have way more TD than I really need. So why haven't I gotten rid of any of it? Lazy. And insecure.
    I can't think of any I'd get rid of, well maybe the dreaded Inferno. I listen to it once in a while, hoping for it to click, but it never happens. The vocal passages go on forever, and instrumentally it's kind of dull. I have a couple albums that most TD fans hate, like "Destination Berlin", but I actually get some enjoyment out of this one. It's a bit cheesy at times, but I like the energy of it. Then there is Tyger, and some of the vocal tracks have grown on me. And while it's pretty much new age music, I really love the song "Alchemy of the Heart". Speaking of TD albums with vocals, Cyclone is the very first TD album I heard from start to finish. "Madrigal Meridian" is a total TD classic, and of course is instrumental. But I also really like "Bent Cold Sidewalk", even including the vocals. "Rising Runner", well, that hasn't exactly grown on, it's pretty dreadful. Still, between the two songs, that's quite a lot of excellent TD music. So if anyone wants Inferno, they can have, but the rest of the catalog in my collection is off limits!

I can't think of any I'd get rid of, well maybe the dreaded Inferno. ....

I have a couple albums that ", even including the vocals. "Rising Runner", well, that hasn't exactly grown on, it's pretty dreadful. Still, between the two songs, that's quite a lot of excellent TD music. So if anyone wants Inferno, they can have, but the rest of the catalog in my collection is off limits!
    I tried to trim the collection a couple of months ago and picked out a bunch of albums and then played them. Most of them I decided to keep. Still on the way out DM1( I like 2-4), Inferno, ambient Monkeys, purgatorial, and Phaedra 2005. I'm going to go thru the rest of my collection as I'm running out of space

I've been told "The Five Atomic Seasons is pretty good. I also jumped ship with Inferno, and figured 45 cd's of their music is enough -includes live and soundtrack discs. But I am curious about the post Dante trilogy material.
    Thanks. PE'ers, Any post Dante recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    ...ambient Monkeys...
    You have Ambient Moneys, too? This release marked the first time I was pissed at a musical artist while listening to their music. Of course, my anger should have been more accurately directed at myself for not listening before buying. Lesson learned. Thanks TD!

You have Ambient Moneys, too? This release marked the first time I was pissed at a musical artist while listening to their music. Of course, my anger should have been more accurately directed at myself for not listening before buying. Lesson learned. Thanks TD!
    Fell for this one. Wasn't expecting much since they did say preconcert material but screeching monkeys on top of music?! Who would want to listen to this? Good for skeet shooting or a coaster. Yes, lesson learned here too.

Forgot about Ambient Monkeys...

I'll still take it over Infernal...uh, Inferno.

Forgot about Ambient Monkeys...

I'll still take it over Infernal...uh, Inferno.
    I can appreciate that TD was trying expand their sound palette with Inferno. Nice try, I don't happen to like it. AM puts screeches over music and released it. Much of what I buy is purchased w/o hearing it first. Kind of pissed when I played that one.