Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'll focus on the ones I really like. I agree with the earlier post that anything pre-Meddle doesn't work for me.

1) Animals
    2) Dark Side Of The Moon
    3) Wish You Were Here
    4) Meddle

bigger gap

4) The Wall
    5) The dreaded Final Cut

Even bigger gap

6) Momentary Lapse of Reason
    7) Division Bell

I agree that if Amused to Death, Radio Kaos, or Pros and Cons were included that would round out my 10 with Amused To Death eviscerating The Wall.
    I don't get it? You call The Final Cut dreaded, but it's higher than the two made after Roger left.

"There's only 13 studio albums, right (counting Ummagumma despite a live disc and counting More and Obscured By Clouds)."
    Nope. 14. Count 'em. Although, I surely wouldn't disagree with the argument that The Final Cut is a Roger Waters solo album.

Studio albums

1. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
    2. A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
    3. Soundtrack from the Film More (1969)
    4. Ummagumma (studio and live, 1969)
    5. Atom Heart Mother (1970)
    6. Meddle (1971)
    7. Obscured by Clouds (1972)
    8. The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    9. Wish You Were Here (1975)
    10. Animals (1977)
    11.The Wall (1979)
    12. The Final Cut (1983)
    13. A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
    14. The Division Bell (1994)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I liked Relics a lot but I had it when you couldn't get the non-album stuff anywhere else and I NEEDED it.
    Exactly!! 5 tracks were not on the studio albums and Careful a with that axe Eugene is the studio version which is not on a previous studio album. Great album, love Biding My Time with Richard Wright on trombone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm rather surprised that Obscured by Clouds figures on almost every list. Not that I don't like it, but I tend to think of it as the most "minor" release by the classic-era Floyd.
    And Atom Heart. It's turgid, incomplete, uneven, over-produced, poor sound quality, full of filler and dismissed by the band as an unsuccessful experiment. Why does everyone rank it in the top ten?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And Atom Heart. It's turgid, incomplete, uneven, over-produced, poor sound quality, full of filler and dismissed by the band as an unsuccessful experiment. Why does everyone rank it in the top ten?
    Cos it's great!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cos it's great!!
    Oh, well, I forgot that.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Curious why Embryo was left off of Relics?
    Not sure if this is true or not, but I recall reading that the band never considered it a finished recording and they were pissed that it got released at all. I think it's great, myself; better than most of those other non-LP tracks (except for the wonderful "Point Me at the Sky").

Yup, I believe Embryo never reached the "final' stage they wanted it to??? same thing for Cymbalene, despite the More OST version

But even with Embryo on Relics, this wouldn't make it anything more than a compilation (sort of who's Odds & Ends or a Big Meaty & Bouncy-type of album), never a full-fledged album
    (but then again I ranked atpo Floyd at Pompeii as their best album

Cos it's great!!
    and it fucking rocks my boat.... even the weaker tracks are miles above the end of side-A of Meddle

In my book, classic Floyd era starts with AHM....
    Last edited by Trane; 06-28-2013 at 04:47 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

when the space could have been used for, as you noted, "Point Me At The Sky," "Apples And Oranges," "It Would Be So Nice," or even "Embryo."
    Exactly, and we had to wait for the PF album from the Masters of Rock series in the 70s, which included: Apples & Oranges and Candy and a Currant Bun. Then Works in 83, which included Embryo as the only previously unreleased track. Then all the way up to Shine On, for the rest to be officially released on that digipack singles disc.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, other than Biding My Time, I believe every single song on Relics has been released elsewhere,

Incorrect! It is a known fact amongst older pre-CD Floyd fans that most of Relics was only released on Relics in 71 and not again until decades later. Also another fact to remember is that later LPs often changed the tracklisting of orignal releases. So for example, original copies of Piper don't contain Bike. It was added to new pressings of Piper AFTER the release of Relics. In addition to Bike of course, also only originally on an album (as opposed to singles) i.e. Relics are: Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Paintbox, Julia Dream, Biding My Time. So a total of 6 songs. How those songs were released in the 90s, thirty years later is totally irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    There are some songs on Relics, that you won't find anywhere else - the excellent Biding My Time, for example. And, some compilation albums have the special atmosphere - Relics I believe is one of such albums. JT's Living in the Past is another...
    Spot on! And I consider neither as a collection album, as they weren't made in that spirit back in the day, they were made to make some unavailable tracks avaialble not to cash in on "greatest hits".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

BTW, what were the differences between the US and Euro versions of Relics? Wiki doesn't mention any.
    There aren't any differences in songs, only different covers. I've got US, UK, French, Australian, German and Dutch copies - all the same tracks & in the same order.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ummagumma is on every list so far. Nice to see, I love that thing to pieces and it's always baffled me how slagged it can get.
    It's always baffled me too. I think it was because a lot of fans didn't understand the concept. But for me the purchase price was worth it if only for Roger's 2 wonderful tracks Grantchester Meadows & Several Species.....etc.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-28-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In my book, classic Floyd era starts with AHM....

For me classic Pink Floyd is Piper (68) to Moon (73), then it morphed into what they should have changed their name to: Waters Maudling Vehicle. That said I like the low-key vibe of The Final Cut. But I've never liked WYWH, Animals or The Wall. Floyd only recovered again with The Division Bell, which I think is great.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-28-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Moon not More ...doh!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For me classic Pink Floyd is Piper (68) to More (73), then it morphed into what they should have changed their name to: Waters Maudling Vehicle. That said I like the lowkey vibe of The Final Cut. But I've never liked WYWH, Animals or The Wall. Floyd only recovered again with The Division Bel, which I think is great.

This would imply that WMV would've morphed into GRC >> Gimour's Revenge Chariot

TDB only has the opening and last track that are worthy;... but then again, it's two tracks more than AMLOR (which hasn't got any)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My top 10 today:

Dark Side of the Moon

Meddle
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Relics

A Saucerful of Secrets
    Ummagumma
    Obscured By Clouds

More
    The Division Bell
    The Final Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

This would imply that WMV would've morphed into GRC >> Gimour's Revenge Chariot
    And that's probalby how he viewed TDB, a sort of revenge with its return to form. However, I like most of it, I think it's a tad unfair to say it only has 2 good tracks. BUT the bottom line certainly is that Roger's solo albums are bloody brilliant - Pros & Cons, Radio KAOS, Amused to Death. I love them all and place them well above WYWH, Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut.

But I've never liked WYWH, Animals or The Wall. Floyd only recovered again with The Division Bel, which I think is great.
    Have to say that's a pretty unusual point of view.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

No idea, we're on the same page here. It's the only classic period Floyd album I never listen it. And with the exception of Fat Old Sun it's bloody awful IMO. That said, I have a live recording of it, which is quite good, but again nothing I listen to. It is simply the quality of the writing that is at fault on AHM, both lyrically and musically, every long-running band has it's own AHM, nothing wrong with that, but admitting it and moving on is the healthiest thing to do for band & fans alike.

Have to say that's a pretty unusual point of view.
    It's only unusual if you've never heard it before. On Floyd forums i.e. not prog forums, Waters is considered Satan and so this view is not at all uncommon.
    A large amount of Floyd fans don't listen to prog generally & don't consider PF as prog. PF for many, myself included, belongs to classic rock like Thin Lizzy, Zeppelin and Queen. Attendance at any PF gig in the 80s and 90s provided plenty of evidence for that.

I love the suite on side one.

I wonder how many people are aware of this? :

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'll have to listen to this again.. maybe it's me but that sounded like a train wreck...

Banned
    It's only unusual if you've never heard it before. On Floyd forums i.e. not prog forums, Waters is considered Satan and so this view is not at all uncommon.
    A large amount of Floyd fans don't listen to prog generally & don't consider PF as prog. PF for many, myself included, belongs to classic rock like Thin Lizzy, Zeppelin and Queen. Attendance at any PF gig in the 80s and 90s provided plenty of evidence for that.
    Pink Floyd are prog. Why do you insist on rewriting history, Peter? Bands like Yes and Genesis never thought of themselves as "prog rock". Just like Black Sabbath never thought of themselves as metal. Steve Wilson doesn't think Porcupine Tree is prog. Pretentious lyrics: check. Long, complex, suite-like songs:check. Queen, Led Zepplin, or Thin Lizzy never wrote a twenty minute, multisectional, complex epic. Pink Floyd has many. I think that Pink Floyd were just trying to be cool by distancing themselves from a movement which they help start. Waters also though it was cool to spit on an audience member during the Animals tour. Remember, if it walks like a dog and barks like a dog, then it's a dog.

I understand the the 'Water= Satan' crowd only thinking they recovered from The Wall & The Final Cut, particularly the later, with The Division Bell.

What I don't get is the thinking that there were no good albums between More & Division Bell. I'd argue that most classic Rock fans & general populous would consider DSOTM, WYWH & The Wall the pinnacle of Floyd's output. On RYM, which is clearly not a Prog board, the Meddle through Wall period has by far the most ratings and the highest ratings.
    Ian

Wow. Just "wow."

People are still fighting the Waters vs Gilmour fight. It's been how many years?

Move on people.

Also another fact to remember is that later LPs often changed the tracklisting of orignal releases. So for example, original copies of Piper don't contain Bike. It was added to new pressings of Piper AFTER the release of Relics.
    This is incorrect. "Bike" was never "added" to Piper. It was always included on British pressings, but omitted from the US version (along with a couple of other tracks). Possibly you're thinking of A Nice Pair, which later become the only way to get Piper in the US, and featured the UK track listing.

For me classic Pink Floyd is Piper (68) to More (73), then it morphed into what they should have changed their name to: Waters Maudling Vehicle.
    More was 1969 and was only the third PF album. Are you thinking of Obscured by Clouds (1972)?

Wish You Were Here
    Meddle
    Atom Heart Mother
    Animals
    Obscured by Clouds
    The Dark Side of the Moon
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    The Final Cut
    The Division Bell
    Ummagumma

It's not a good album, but the band only had 14, so... not inconceivable that it would make the top 10. I'd probably rank it last or second to last, though.

Not many here I guess... I posted this just a few months before the end of PE 2.0 had despite four bumps, had no reply at all...

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Pink Floyd are prog. Why do you insist on rewriting history, Peter? Bands like Yes and Genesis never thought of themselves as "prog rock". Just like Black Sabbath never thought of themselves as metal. Steve Wilson doesn't think Porcupine Tree is prog. Pretentious lyrics: check. Long, complex, suite-like songs:check. Queen, Led Zepplin, or Thin Lizzy never wrote a twenty minute, multisectional, complex epic. Pink Floyd has many. I think that Pink Floyd were just trying to be cool by distancing themselves from a movement which they help start. Waters also though it was cool to spit on an audience member during the Animals tour. Remember, if it walks like a dog and barks like a dog, then it's a dog.
    I think Pink Floyd occupy a space much closer to Roxy Music, Tangerine Dream or Mars Volta than ELP or Yes. They did psychedelic pieces, atmospheric pieces and had some longer songs, but none of them are particularly complex. I don't think it's totally improper to lump them in with prog if the prog umbrella is to be quite broad, but I don't know that they really belong there.