Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands/musicians influenced by Yes?

Bands/musicians influenced by Yes?

For an upcoming documentary project, I'm looking to compile a list of of groups or artists who owned up to being fans of or influenced by Yes or members of Yes. Post 'em here, or email to me direct at ssully@panix.com.

It's be great if you could provide a citation, or link, or some way for me to look it up, too.

I've already got these covered:

John Frusciante (RHCP, others)
    The Edge
    Tyler Hawkins (Foo Fighters)
    Steve Stevens (Billy Idol)
    Pat Smear (Nirvana, others)
    James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem)
    Keith Levene (tje Clash, PiL)
    The Flaming Lips'
    Rush
    Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
    De La Soul
    The Mars Volta
    Tool
    Les Claypool
    Matthew Sweet/Susannah Hoffs
    Bob Stinson (Replacements)
    Tim De Laugher (Polyphonic Spree)
    Todd Rundren
    Mike Mills (REM)
    Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam)
    Genesis

I would say that certain fusion bands (esp. Return to Forever) were influenced somewhat by Yes, as were harder rock bands (ie Queen) who dabbled in prog.

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    For an upcoming documentary project, I'm looking to compile a list of of groups or artists who owned up to being fans of or influenced by Yes or members of Yes. Post 'em here, or email to me direct at ssully@panix.com.

It's be great if you could provide a citation, or link, or some way for me to look it up, too.

The Edge
    The Flaming Lips'
    Rush
    De La Soul
    The Mars Volta
    Tool
    Les Claypool
    Todd Rundren
    Mike Mills (REM)
    Genesis
    Except for Genesis, it seems as if you are compiling influences that aren't classified as "prog?"

And all of your listings appear to be US or UK based.

If you start going through their influences on worldwide acts from about 1972 onward, this server may crash. The number will be in the thousands.

Starcastle. So obvious I'm amazed its not on your list.

DtB

The FlowerKings.Another obvious choice.

Way too many to list!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post

DtB
    Exactly! Should be the 1st one listed??!!

What about jam bands like Phish, String Cheese Incident, and Umphrey's McGee?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post

DtB
    Don't forget DRUID. Should be 1B.

Yeah, Yes has definitely influenced a lot of musicians. As far as Genesis, though, I know that Phil liked the early version, but there probably has been just as many disparaging things said about Yes from the Genesis camp as there has anything positive (I remember Phil a couple decades ago saying he liked Jon Anderson as a person but hated that Yes kind of music).

My eyesight is going.
    I thought the Thread was about Bands/musicians influenced by Yves.

Banned

Flash

You DO know about Flash, right? Original Yes guitarist, the late, great, Peter Banks, formed Flash with Ray Bennett, Colin Carter and Mike Hough after leaving Yes. Tony Kaye was a guest keyboardist on their first album.

They were constantly compared to Yes....duh! Peter was instrumental (pardon the pun) in creating the Yes sound, which Steve Howe had to adopt when he replaced Peter. I wouldn't, however, say they were influenced by Yes. More like, they were part of—brothers of—Yes, with their own unique "Flash" and style.

And after a 40-year hiatus, they're back with a new CD, getting rave reviews! http://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturi...nCarter?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post

The Edge
    The Flaming Lips'
    Rush
    De La Soul
    The Mars Volta
    Tool
    Les Claypool
    Todd Rundren
    Mike Mills (REM)
    Genesis
    I would say that--in terms of their playing style--many of these guys are not influenced by Yes in the slightest. True many of them have 'fessed up to being Yes fans, but that's not the same thing. Is that really what you are going after? Famous/semi-famous musicians who are fans?

Edit: Oops. Just read your message again... I see that this is in fact what you had in mind!
    Last edited by arturs; 06-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Banned
    Pat Smear is a Yes fan? Who knew.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but much maligned (at least on PE it seems) Glass Hammer came readily to mind
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Wobbler?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

King's X
    Marillion
    The Dixie Dregs

If you're looking for more well-known/mainstream acts (and it seems like you are), as opposed to prog bands, here are a few:

Earth, Wind, & Fire (I've seen this mentioned in a couple of places incl. an old Goldmine magazine interview)
    Steve Arrington of Slave (as mentioned in liner notes to a Slave greatest hits CD)
    Jeff Buckley
    Joe Jackson
    Styx
    Ambrosia

Wish I had more citations for these, but I do remember seeing them in various places around the web or in print elsewhere.

Oh and Jamie West-Oram of The Fixx....

JORM

WORLD TRADE, for its distinct YesWest-adherencies. i wonder if there are other bands out there that take such a distinct leaf out of the trevor rabin-infused YES’s book?

PS: mike “faithful axe” keneally!

'Influence' doesn't (necessarily) mean 'sounds like'. A musician can be influenced by another musician, but that influence can come out in ways beyond simply imitation. Frusciante's music doesn't sound like Yes, but that doesn't mean he isn't influenced by Yes, just as Chris Squire talks about being influenced by Paul McCartney, but his music doesn't sound much like McCartney's.

So, the aim here (I'm helping Steve with this) is to find acts who have talked about being influenced by Yes (regardless of what their music sounds like), rather than listing acts that (to us) sound like Yes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I would say that certain fusion bands (esp. Return to Forever) were influenced somewhat by Yes, as were harder rock bands (ie Queen) who dabbled in prog.
    Steve Howe, of course, guested on Queen's Innuendo. I can't find quotes, but Brian May, I recall, said Queen and prior band Smile used to go see Yes play in the late 1960s/early 1970s, and he said nice things about Howe's playing on Innuendo. He also knows Wakeman. There was an old Yesfans thread at http://www.yesfans.com/archive/index.php/t-34808.html that had some more details.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The members of Dream Theater have constantly talked about Yes' influence on them, even to the point of calling their music the "heavy metal Yes". They even covered a Drama song, while touring with Yes.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Pat Smear is a Yes fan? Who knew.
    On the Germs "Lexicon Devil" EP, the song "No God" starts out with a crazy, beautifully snarky and sloppy nod to Yes -- part of Steve Howe's "Roundabout" intro.

From this site, I give you:

Quote Originally Posted by This Site
    What is there to tell you about The Germs that you don’t allready know? The intro to No God is taken from one thing that Darby, Pat and I had/have in common: we all love/d Yes. It’s from “Roundabout” the first song on “Fragile”. A fantastic record. The special guitar sound was aquired through a direct line in to the soundboard since Pat had forgotten to bring with him an amplifier.
    So, yes, The Germs should be added to this list.

Actually, I think Moth Vellum had a beautiful Yes-like sound.