Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bands/musicians influenced by Yes?

Great project!

In this issue of Magnet

http://store.magnetmagazine.com/prod...5-flaming-lips

The Flaming Lips discuss how, separately, they'd each been secretly listening to Yes and (in sort of an O. Henry story twist) when they confessed to each other this "shame" it proved to be part of the creative breakthrough that led to their great, great album The Soft Bulletin.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I know: I ran a "Search" before I posted it.......It is still relevant in this thread, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    I guess, except it will be hard to interview Sherman at this point.
    That rat bastage! How dare he die before we can ask him!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If one were to list all of the bassists who bought Rickenbacker 4001 basses with round wound strings one would have a very long list indeed.
    Whats even funnier is the guys that bought Ric 4001s to get Geddy's studio Jazz bass sound

Also, don't sleep on hip hop!

The RZA (Wu Tang Clan) has listed his influences as: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes . . . all them n*****s." ~

The title track on De La Soul's The Grind Date samples "Ritual" ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GBx4HJKU7s

and there's Kanye's sampling of Mike Oldfield's "In High Places," which features Jon's vocals ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b856VSqBA3g

Ssully, there IS a difference between "copying" Yes, being "influenced" by Yes and "giving a nod" to Yes.
    Roye "gave a nod" (to a well known Steve Howe riff in particular) when Nektar recorded "Early Morning Clown" on the 1974 Down to Earth album.
    As a band we each had many "influences", thus our albums were always different enough to keep fans wondering where the roots originated, because once we'd all put our ten cents worth of arrangement, lyrics, tempo or other ideas into the root melody, the piece became solid Nektar, even though an idea from Yes, Floyd, Hendrix or Beatles etc. might have been somewhere in the blend.
    So did we like 'em?.... Well that's affirmative! ...along with Crimson, McGlaughlin, Santana, Jeff Beck and hundreds of others who were playing around us in the very early seventies.
    Mick.

Banned
    See post #27
    I was responding to Dave The Brave. He mentioned that Starcastle wasn't on someone's list.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Joe Jackson's "Symphony No. 1" incorporates jazz, rock and classical and is quite prog-friendly. (Same for "Will Power" but I think the Symphony is better.
    I found that in his memoir he confesses to being a big prog fan while growing up. Haven't found a mention of Yes specifically yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I was responding to Dave The Brave. He mentioned that Starcastle wasn't on someone's list.
    Yes, my list, at the start of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nador View Post
    Also, don't sleep on hip hop!

The RZA (Wu Tang Clan) has listed his influences as: "Pink Floyd, Beatles, Yes . . . all them n*****s." ~
    Great! Can I get a source?

The title track on De La Soul's The Grind Date samples "Ritual" ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GBx4HJKU7s
    Already on the list, thanks.

and there's Kanye's sampling of Mike Oldfield's "In High Places," which features Jon's vocals ~
    Yeah, I'll add him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Ssully, there IS a difference between "copying" Yes, being "influenced" by Yes and "giving a nod" to Yes.
    Roye "gave a nod" (to a well known Steve Howe riff in particular) when Nektar recorded "Early Morning Clown" on the 1974 Down to Earth album.
    As a band we each had many "influences", thus our albums were always different enough to keep fans wondering where the roots originated, because once we'd all put our ten cents worth of arrangement, lyrics, tempo or other ideas into the root melody, the piece became solid Nektar, even though an idea from Yes, Floyd, Hendrix or Beatles etc. might have been somewhere in the blend.
    So did we like 'em?.... Well that's affirmative! ...along with Crimson, McGlaughlin, Santana, Jeff Beck and hundreds of others who were playing around us in the very early seventies.
    Mick.

Read the first post again. The list is of musicians 'being fans of or influenced by' Yes. It doesn't mean there were no other influences, or no other bands were liked. And there's nothing there about 'copying'.

Great project!

In this issue of Magnet

http://store.magnetmagazine.com/prod...5-flaming-lips

The Flaming Lips discuss how, separately, they'd each been secretly listening to Yes and (in sort of an O. Henry story twist) when they confessed to each other this "shame" it proved to be part of the creative breakthrough that led to their great, great album The Soft Bulletin.

Hope that helps!
    It does , thanks -- I already have other sourced quotes for Wayne Coyne's Yes fandom, this is a great addition.

Maybe my reference to copying Yes (meaning style BTW) wasn't necessary, so I retract that part, while adding that Nektar WAS somewhat "influenced" by early Yes productions, in fact I did lightshows on Yes at a few festivals in 68 & 69. Later, my personal Yes album collection became part of the music we ALL enjoyed while on the road (and at home) with Nektar during the early seventies.
    So by all means add us to your list.
    Last edited by Mick; 07-04-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    <snip> Mick.
    You're the Mick (light guy) from 70s Nektar?!? If so, Greetings from n00b...if not, Greetings anyway
    Last edited by klothos; 07-04-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Sorry that I don't have any sources, only a vague memory of reading an article long ago in some fanzine back before Internet days, but I do in fact remember a Led Zeppelin article that mentioned some Zep member(s) having a Yes-Jones or a maybe a Squire-Jones, no pun intended. I found that interesting and held it in the back of my mind, and I know it doesn't exactly substantiate anything, but it is interesting that XYZ came about after the disbanding of both groups, so there must have been some kind of attraction there.

You're the Mick (light guy) from 70s Nektar?!? If so, Greetings from n00b...if not, Greetings anyway
    I'm guessing you are a "newer" member of PE... lol.
    Greetings backatcha n00b!

From a profile of Stranglers keyboardist Dave Greenfield in the fanzine Strangled:

"When he first began playing keyboards, Dave says he was listening to people like Jon Lord of Deep Purple. He was also fond of early Yes, up through THE YES ALBUM and some cuts on FRAGILE."

There's also a passing reference to Rick Wakeman on an early Strangler's record, "Tits": after an intentionally terrible keyboard solo, Hugh Cornwell exclaims, "Great, that was absolutely amazing, Dave! You put Rick Wakeman in the shade there!"

RZA was quoted as saying that in an issue of Revolver, accompanied with an illustration of him in a Yes sweatshirt . . . but I can't remember the issue.

Another really interesting impact Yes has had is on the Japanese avant-rock scene. Check out this medley led by the drummer of Ruins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrgCUBAHcg

It's like Yes songs are jazz standards. Their influence is key not just on Ruins but Boredoms and Acid Mothers Temple, too. A supergroup featuring members of all three of those groups closed an album with an amazing note-for-note cover of "Close to the Edge"

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...89___kiki__f1/
    Last edited by Nador; 07-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    From a profile of Stranglers keyboardist Dave Greenfield in the fanzine Strangled:

"When he first began playing keyboards, Dave says he was listening to people like Jon Lord of Deep Purple. He was also fond of early Yes, up through THE YES ALBUM and some cuts on FRAGILE."

There's also a passing reference to Rick Wakeman on an early Strangler's record, "Tits": after an intentionally terrible keyboard solo, Hugh Cornwell exclaims, "Great, that was absolutely amazing, Dave! You put Rick Wakeman in the shade there!"
    The Stranglers were always a bit suspect in punk circles...all those keyboards...good to know, thanks.

Banned
    The Stranglers were always a bit suspect in punk circles...all those keyboards...good to know, thanks.
    Not to mention the year in which the members were born.

and maybe another...I noticed during Hearts, Dreamboat Annie Concert (as seen on MTV's Palladium) Nancy Wilson starts off the song Crazy On You with a tiny (tiny) And You And I nod, which is odd placement. I think it is on again (for the 1000th time) this coming Friday, or you can just watch the first few seconds on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmrAr8niOs
    Last edited by rojon; 07-07-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: splleing

Speaking of samples of Yes in the others songs, here's one pretty cool hip hop artist, I suggest you check him out:

+1
    indeed, we do have some influences from early Yes but we're not well known at all

oh sorry, you weren't talking about us!

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

chalkpie
    Jon Anderson

@ chalkpie - weirdo
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

As a "Genesis" fan, I would also concur that they were NOT influenced by the band, YET both Steve Hackett and Phil Collins were Yes fans prior to joining Genesis. Check out members of Judas Priest, Kirk Hammett whom also would be able to confirm Cliff Burton as well. Big Boi and Andre 3000 of Outkast, George Clinton (Members of Funkadelic cited Yes a major influence), John McGeogh (His daughter told me that he was into progressive rock), Howard Devoto and Barry Adamson, Warren Cann (Ultravox), Alan Wilder of Depeche Mode ( I had an ex-girlfriend ask the members of Depeche Mode if they were in to Progressive Rock) these are a few I could think of for now.
    Last edited by Chuck AzEee!; 10-04-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

RZA was quoted as saying that in an issue of Revolver, accompanied with an illustration of him in a Yes sweatshirt . . . but I can't remember the issue.
    I KNOW personally that members of Wu TAng Clan are big progressive rock fans and not just of the UK Scene, they were big into bands like Magma, Faust, Can and Ash Rah Temple.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa