Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bring The Prog Back with Sound of Contact, Francis Dunnery and great prog bands...

Bring The Prog Back with Sound of Contact, Francis Dunnery and great prog bands...

Okay guys. This is more than just an announcement of what's on (but it is more definitely on!). This "Bring The Prog Back" is about an effort to get more prog music out to the forefront of popularity when it comes to live events in cities across the world - especially North America which doesn't get as many progrock shows as Europe (but if all goes well with this tour we'll do the same thing in Europe and other places around the world). Ryo of Spock's Beard and I came up with this one drunken night on the recent tour we did in Europe. This sort of thing is nothing new to YOU on PE because you're all keeping prog alive when you participate in a site like PE as well as your support of the many progressive rock artists. But, quite simply, if we all want to see more progressive rock tours happen then more people need to know about it and be lured in to come see shows like this when they happen. So, we've been putting together great evenings of music with a long list of talented bands to join Sound of Contact in a very aggressive first US tour (with Toronto). Then to kick it off with a big BANG we're alerting the media to what we're doing and making a big noise about it!

Read below for the details and check out the news from Prog Magazine. They're excited about it too.

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/soun...nvasion-of-us/

Here's the news which can also be found on the SOC site. Here are the dates with bands in each city: http://www.soundofcontact.com/tour-dates/

News from the site:

Sound of Contact are pleased to announce the “Bring The Prog Back” North American Tour in August and September of 2013 along with a host of hot progressive rock artists. On each date of the “Bring The Prog Back Tour”, Sound of Contact plays their entire 73 minute “Dimensionaut” concept album from beginning to end with Simon Collins on drums and vocals, Dave Kerzner on keys, Matt Dorsey on bass, Randy McStine on guitar and Ronen Gordon on drums. The line up of bands changes from city to city and includes such star progrock artists* as Spock’s Beard, Jolly, Edison’s Children and Francis Dunnery (founder of the band It Bites and former guitarist for Robert Plant) who will be doing a unique “iRig Gig” performance with music gadgets for the iPhone® and iPad® by IK Multimedia. At the end of the evening a variety of musicians from the show will come on stage for an all out “Bring The Prog Back” medley of timeless prog classics.

East and West Coast Dates in North America
    The “Bring The Prog Back Tour” has select dates on the West Coast of the US in August and a long string of shows on the East Coast going all the way up to Toronto, Canada and ending in Chicago on September 19th.

“We’re doing this tour with a lot of modern progressive rock bands carrying the torch forward into the future.” Says Collins “It’s oddly poetic that we bookend the tour playing shows with some of the significant originators of the genre”.

Just before the tour Sound of Contact is opening the Yestival mainstage in early August with bands like Carl Palmer’s ELP legacy, Musical Box and Yes. Then just after the tour Simon Collins, Dave Kerzner and Francis Dunnery will perform as guests with Steve Hackett on his Genesis Revisited 2 show on September 20th and 21st at the Arcada theater in Chicago!!!!!!

The list of progressive rock artists on the “Bring The Prog Back Tour”

Sound of Contact
    Spock’s Beard
    Francis Dunnery’s iRig Gig with special guests (here's a taste: http://instagram.com/p/a9uwEtByEZ/ )
    Jolly
    Glass Hammer
    Edison’s Children (featuring Pete Trewavas of Marillion)
    Tom Brislin
    Oblivion Sun (featuring former members of Happy The Man)
    Dream The Electric Sleep
    District 97
    Little Atlas
    Out of the Beardspace
    Bolus
    EGO
    Kasim Sulton
    Druckfarben

* Participating bands subject to confirmation.

Follow the group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bringtheprogback/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Squids; 06-29-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Already got tickets to Cleveland. Gonna try to make Baltimore, too. I haven't been to Orion in far too long.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Got our tix for Toronto Sept 15.

DtB

Bring the prog back from where? It never really went anywhere.

Seriously though, if someone wants prog to have a larger audience so that these bands play more(so it is worth their while)then it needs to be advertised in non prog specific media(newspapers, online in non prog places etc). I think one thing that has kept prog so hidden so to speak from the mainstream is that the fans tend to only promote it to those they think will be interested(in other words the promotion is kept only in prog circles for the most part). Then prog fans wonder why their favorite music isn't more known or accepted by others. Most people don't know about it because it doesn't show up on their radar. LOL.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 07-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Hmmm..Well quite a list of bands there..lets see who gets confirmed given a certain Chicago person that I understand is acting as their booking agent. Apparently never learned his lesson of not announcing bands before they are inked. At least there is a disclaimer now, but still.........
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Bring the prog back from where? It never really went anywhere.

Seriously though, if someone wants prog to have a larger audience so that these bands play more(so it is worth their while)then it needs to be advertised in non prog specific media(newspapers, online in non prog places etc). I think one thing that has kept prog so hidden so to speak from the mainstream is that the fans tend to only promote it to those they think will be interested(in other words the promotion is kept only in prog circles to the most part). Then prog fans wonder why their favorite music isn't more known or accepted by others. They don't know about it because it doesn't show up on their radar. LOL.
    Yep! You hit the nail on the head. That's what is going to make the biggest difference. Reaching beyond just the prog communities. And, true it never went anywhere really BUT it's not as popular as it once was with bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd etc. How cool would it be to see a new original show that was like seeing a Pink Floyd show? Well, when I saw Porcupine Tree play at Radio City Music Hall it felt like that for me. I'd love for more shows of that caliber to happen. I think that would be great. So, one way to help make that happen is to publicize it as you said to mainstream media. That's what we just did in NYC with some TV and newspapers. We're just getting started though. When I say a big noise I am not joking. But, that noise also comes from everyone that wants to see it happen and more shows like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
    At least there is a disclaimer now, but still.........
    We were the ones that announced it though and that is why we made the disclaimer just to do our best to manage expectations. The last thing we want to do is disappoint anyone, especially considering the spirit of the whole thing... it being a fun night of prog with all sorts of variety in bands. But, it's tricky to make everything work for everyone so we'll just do our best and keep people informed if there are any changes. Shouldn't be too many though.

Any chance there might be a midwest date somewhere? Like a Dallas (Ft. Worth - Spock's has played there!), Tulsa or Omaha? All cities with a proggy fan base.

I'm kind of bewildered by the concept of this tour. Many of the dates show 4 or even 5 bands playing. Is this an all-day traveling festival?? What time will Sound of Contact (the only band listed out of these that I'd care to see) be taking the stage and what time will the show be over? Personally, unless I'm at a festival, I find too many bands to be tedious and which is why, although I'm interested to see Sound of Contact, I'll probably pass on this tour.

Yestival and Progday I understand completely, but 5 bands on a middle of the week work-day????

Perhaps I'm still jaded from getting excited to see a revamped Brand X featuring both Percy Jones and John Goodsall at a club called the Middle East in Philadelphia way back in the 90's. I knew that Bon Lozaga was listed as the opener, but to my surprise, there were also two other acts that played before Brand X, including Boud Deun who supposedly just showed up at the gig and asked if they could play. Now on another night I might have been happy to see all these bands, but this was a Monday night, I had to work the next day, and the band I paid to see was Brand X. What happened was Brand X did not take the stage until 1:40 AM. I'm not kidding, and they only played an abbreviated 40 minute set, wrapping up at 2:20 AM as there were only maybe 8 or 9 of us still left in the club. What a friggin nightmare, and I vowed then and there to never put myself in that situation again.

Like I said on the other thread, I'd be more inclined to go to one of these shows if it was JUST Sound of Contact.

R

I understand what you are saying, but they are playing the new album live. So, it will not be an abbreviated set for SOC.

Personally, I love it. Love SOC. Heard good things on Francis Dunnery. Always been curious to see Glass Hammer. Never listened to Little Atlas, but like to hear new music in a live setting.

Atl has a 7pm start time. Wish that was a little sooner, but I am a night owl. Just hope that does not mean 30min sets from all the early acts.

Rick..

Is Dunnery back to playing electric guitar?

Dave, I love the album and love what you're doing with this tour. Kudos to you and all involved.

It's a shame that the closest you get to Texas with this is Alabama, but I understand the market & economic realities that preclude a stop here - that makes it no less a shame, though, because there really IS an audience here for it.

While I've gotten used to this as a modern reality, it makes me think back to the time in the late 70's and early 80's where we got a wealth of quality Progressive music here in Houston (although it wasn't called that then, of course)...

EL&P, King Crmson, UK, Ambrosia, Supertramp, (even) PFM, Bowie, Talking Heads, Bruford's band, Holdsworth, Daevid Allen - that's just off the top of my head.

Then, about the late 80's, the well just dried up on bookings here, compared to that Golden Era.

It just makes the name of the tour - "Bring Back the Prog" - all the more poignant to me....

Again, great album, and I wish everyone on the tour the best...should be fantastic!

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Any chance there might be a midwest date somewhere? Like a Dallas (Ft. Worth - Spock's has played there!), Tulsa or Omaha? All cities with a proggy fan base.
    We actually really want to do that BUT first we have to prove this prog tour experiment here. You'll see when we release the Kickstarter campaign what I mean. To do a tour, even just the bus itself, is so cost prohibitive that it's no wonder we don't see more prog tours in the US. If people don't come out in droves then it can lose a pile of money that prog bands simply don't have. Country bands do! That's because people come out and support or square dance or whatever the f happens at those shows. haha. Have you ever seen someone try to dance to Supper's Ready? (actually I HAVE!!!!!! At Hackett's CD release party someone was actually dancing to Apocalypse in 9/8... but it was not pretty).

Anyway, we're about to start rehearsals but this thread is starting to get interesting and I'm really looking forward to talking about this subject with you guys. I'm also very curious to hear your thoughts about it all. So I can't wait to get back to my computer and dive into that stuff with you.

Have you ever seen someone try to dance to Supper's Ready? (actually I HAVE!!!!!! At Hackett's CD release party someone was actually dancing to Apocalypse in 9/8... but it was not pretty).
    Like Elaine in Seinfeld ? Scary stuff, indeed.

To do a tour, even just the bus itself, is so cost prohibitive that it's no wonder we don't see more prog tours in the US. If people don't come out in droves then it can lose a pile of money that prog bands simply don't have.
    Exactly what I was talking about in my preceding post - yet here in Texas we have the added element of bands WANTING to play here and not finding anyone that will BOOK them - which just stuns me.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Have you ever seen someone try to dance to Supper's Ready? (actually I HAVE!!!!!! At Hackett's CD release party someone was actually dancing to Apocalypse in 9/8... but it was not pretty).
    Aha! You'll learn during segments of your tour, Dave, that Ms. Leslie Hunt of District 97 imo is the first person that has figured out how to dance to complex, changing time sigs and make it look pretty (damn good).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'm kind of bewildered by the concept of this tour. Many of the dates show 4 or even 5 bands playing. Is this an all-day traveling festival?? What time will Sound of Contact (the only band listed out of these that I'd care to see) be taking the stage and what time will the show be over? Personally, unless I'm at a festival, I find too many bands to be tedious and which is why, although I'm interested to see Sound of Contact, I'll probably pass on this tour.
    Richard, I do get what you are saying. I know sometimes, on a weeknight, a long stretch of bands means a really crappy, exhausted workday to come. Still, even if you can support a few of the bands playing you are doing your part. I find it very hard to believe your statement that out of 20+ bands, you ONLY want to hear Sound of Contact. Even if you can't stand, oh, say "IZZ" , there are so many varied and talented prog bands sharing the stage during this tour, and all could use your support. The whole point of this is that Sound of Contact is trying to raise the profile of ALL of the bands, and of the scene. I'm sure they could easily have just toured with no supporting acts, if they so desired. They probably will do just that at a future date, and then you could go check them out at their solo show.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Aha! You'll learn during segments of your tour, Dave, that Ms. Leslie Hunt of District 97 imo is the first person that has figured out how to dance to complex, changing time sigs and make it look pretty (damn good).
    Thanks, Geez! We shared the bill with SoC in Holland last month, so they've already seen her in action

Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    Richard, I do get what you are saying. I know sometimes, on a weeknight, a long stretch of bands means a really crappy, exhausted workday to come. Still, even if you can support a few of the bands playing you are doing your part. I find it very hard to believe your statement that out of 20+ bands, you ONLY want to hear Sound of Contact. Even if you can't stand, oh, say "IZZ" , there are so many varied and talented prog bands sharing the stage during this tour, and all could use your support. The whole point of this is that Sound of Contact is trying to raise the profile of ALL of the bands, and of the scene. I'm sure they could easily have just toured with no supporting acts, if they so desired. They probably will do just that at a future date, and then you could go check them out at their solo show.
    It's not that. I like IZZ and several of the bands mentioned and would be happy to go see your shows and support you, as I have many times. My issue is that by having 4, and sometimes 5, bands all performing on the same evening, I have to wonder at what time and how late will Sound of Contact, the headliner, actually be taking the stage?? After all, this is supposedly their tour and on this occasion, the act I'd be paying to see. Unless I'm at a festival, I don't want to sit through 4 bands to get to the headliner, even if I enjoy all of the 4 bands. To me (YMMV) it is too much to ask, especially considering I have a responsibility to my employer to be rested for work the next day.

If it was just one support act on a given night I could do this, but 4 seems to be a recipe for disaster with shows not ending until the wee hours. I recognize this may be a real treat for some folks to take in all these bands in one setting, but I can't believe I'm the only one thinking its a bit too much and will simply have to pass. As I said, Less is More!!

I love to see this coming to Orion in Baltimore...but it seems kind of like preaching to the choir by playing here.
    Any chance of a D.C. date?

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    We actually really want to do that BUT first we have to prove this prog tour experiment here. You'll see when we release the Kickstarter campaign what I mean. To do a tour, even just the bus itself, is so cost prohibitive that it's no wonder we don't see more prog tours in the US. If people don't come out in droves then it can lose a pile of money that prog bands simply don't have.
    I certainly understand that.
    But..... if you're taking the tour bus from San Diego to Birmingham, Ala. (of all places mind you. lol) DFW is on the way & you've got a 6 day window.
    Oh yes & the Ridglea Theater is a pretty sweet venue in Ft. Worth.
    Last edited by dgtlman; 06-27-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If it was just one support act on a given night I could do this, but 4 seems to be a recipe for disaster with shows not ending until the wee hours.
    I guess you are saying that you wish the tour itself consisted of one- or two-band shows, with only a few festival stops along the way. While I certainly know your concern first-hand (regarding very late weeknight shows), I'd be hard-pressed to say whether a smaller, shorter show or a longer, "more-bang-for-your-buck" show attracts a larger weeknight crowd. I guess this tour will be a litmus test.

Promoters and bands are also trying to find their way in a post-NEARfest U.S. scene. I know that for IZZ, touring solo (especially without the support of groups like NewEARS, NJ Proghouse, etc.) is a risky venture. We try to be smart when booking standalone shows, attempting to maximize our turnout. Promoting the evening as a special, multiple-bill night of entertainment always seemed to improve our numbers. There is, however, a moment where you have committed yourself to a very late night. I don't know where the happy medium lies.

I am so happy that you folks are making this undertaking and I'm also going to travel to see this. I understand, however, why many of the progfans I know read PE more sparingly now. it certainly didn't take long for negative comments to start. It's quite simple really. If the show, or the way it is arranged or staged or scheduled, isn't good for you....stay home. I don't see a reason to criticize those arranging this wonderful undertaking because the way it is going to be staged doesn't fit into your way of life. Sorry for being negative to the negative....but the folks arranging this are putting themselves on the line and at risk to make this happen to bring this music that you supposedly love....to you. If you don't care to attempt to enjoy it, that's fine, but the complaining here is just endless.

Prog on my brothers and sisters. And Squids and Company? You guys just rock....and I really appreciate what you're trying to do to bring the music to the people!!!!

@ Harbinger58: I don't think it was Richard's intention to spread negativity. As he has clarified, he's a fan of many of the bands involved, including Sound of Contact. As you have stated, if the show doesn't suit his particular needs, he will likely stay home. Everyone else posting has sounded pretty positive about this tour. Some are simply hoping that the tour will branch out to areas where they live. That's a reasonable desire.

I wish to add to the voices of encouragement to Squids and the SOC guys. I think working as a community is the path that will keep the scene alive in the 21st Century. We have to devote our united energies towards making shows happen, and look for opportunities to help each other, not just our own bands. Nice going, guys!

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by izz_brian View Post
    I wish to add to the voices of encouragement to Squids and the SOC guys. I think working as a community is the path that will keep the scene alive in the 21st Century. We have to devote our united energies towards making shows happen, and look for opportunities to help each other, not just our own bands. Nice going, guys!
    I think it's incredibly cool and quite generous of Squids and SOC to be doing this; they likely don't have to, you know? So right on, Brian, and right on Squids and SOC! I will be at the Los Angeles show come high water or hell.

I also agree with Richard here. Maybe 3 bands tops. They should bring a better known act that helps them bring in people like, for example, Spock's Beard, and a lesser known act to open the gig that can benefit from the draw of the main acts. I'm thinking then, that this tour will be/is well financed? In general, I agree with the premise of the tour and I will attempt to attend the August 30 gig in Gainesville, FL.