Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bring The Prog Back with Sound of Contact, Francis Dunnery and great prog bands...

As someone who may or may not perform on this tour, all I can say is that I stand behind the idea 100%. I can also see how the promotion needs to be different, and all that. But without getting into all the details, as a possible artist I can exert some degree of rumor control: The terms of the gig were laid out with total clarity. There is no advantage or ill will here. There's no guaranteed door money. That's reality, and it was spelled out in full. On a tour like this, you travel and play maybe 40 minutes if you're not the headliner, so for those worried about curfew, these won't be 5 or 6 hour shows.

My take is that you have to start somewhere. For me and the guys in Sonus Umbra and Might Could, the only restriction to joining this traveling circus of prog are the realities of employment and family. Without more careful planning, we are basically restricted by where we can drive to and back on a single day. And yes, you spend money on gas, tolls, meals, etc, and there's no one at the other end paying you back for any of it. Except that you get to play your music in front of people you have never seen, in a city you're likely never gonna visit otherwise. For me - and I can't speak for anyone else here - that is more than enough. That's why I've been doing it since 1989, and that's why I don't see myself stopping.

I understand proghound's concern regarding buying tickets for a show that may or may not include a band. This is 100% legit, and he deserves to take no flak for that. In the end, it's not the most professional way, but even festivals have made announcements only to have bands pull out. It's an unfortunate part of this rigmarole.

I'm still awaiting confirmation from the organizer and important information about backline, etc for the show in Indianapolis, and also whatever is going on on the 19th. But it's all fine. That this crazy bastard is doing this at all is commendable. Truly.

That said, for sure know Sonus Umbra will NOT be at Orion studios in support of this tour. That was a premature announcement, and it is absolutely impossible for us to make it work. But you know what? I would have loved to go back there and do it; The last time Sonus played there was a long time ago, and the room was packed. My favorite place to play in the states, hands down. it's small, it's unassuming, and it is magical.

Go to a show if you can. Reserve judgment until after the fact. Go only knowing that it's a Sound of Contact headline show. Be prepared to be surprised by whoever else might be there. It's the best way to be supportive of such a crazy idea.

FWIW...the promoter contacted us (Ephemeral Fun in the Sun) about doing several dates on the tour. We ended up having to pass due to some logistical issues...but to kind of parrot what Luis et al have said, the promoter was very fair and honest with us about the deal. Absolutely zero sense of being jerked around or "played" or whatever. We really appreciated that, to be honest...and we'd work with them again in a heartbeat if the opportunity came up.

Just for saying.

Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Little Atlas is a "for sure" on the Birmingham, Atlanta, and Gainesville dates. The timing couldn't be better, as we just released our brand new CD, Automatic Day. We are thrilled to be a part of this "experiment". And to echo what Luis Nassar said, the promoter was 100% clear on the financial aspects of this adventure. We'd love to see folks coming out to see the support bands and the amazing SOC. For those contemplating attending the show(s), here's a video from our newest release. See you in August!

--Steve

District 97 is also happy to be involved in 2 shows on this tour (and there's talk of doing at least one more, we'll see). You can get more details on our dates with SoC in Detroit and Indianapolis (as well as other upcoming shows) at http://www.district97.net/shows.

I never thought I'd say this, but if there is a Chicago show on the 19th (I suspect there will be), even though Kay & I will be in Paris (not Texas, and moi for the first time) on that date, I'm bummed & wish we had picked different days, but we're old, not clairvoyant.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Part of the experiment even IS to see if we have the support of a community such as this.
    And some people will even complain about a blowjob.

Quote Originally Posted by ravingandrooling View Post
    Especially if he wants one every ten minutes. :-)

I'm looking forward to seeing SOC and company on Sept. 9th. I hope the tour is a success for all involved.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by ravingandrooling View Post
    I have never once complained about such a thing.

I echo the positive statements directed towards this groundbreaking tour effort; Squids knows if there is anything I can personally do to help out, I'm here. Otherwise I will do my part to enjoy the Los Angeles gig, it's looking to be a great night.

Everyone from what I've seen has been incredibly cool and supportive so I don't understand where the problem is or that there even needs to be one. It's one thing if someone wants to base their opinion on only partial facts and assumptions but when you have one of the actual people involved here to clarify then... one would hope that would set things straight?
    ok, this is the last comment I hope to make on the subject...I am involved directly with one of the bands on this tour, and if the booking agent made it 100% clear to these bands that is great...it was not the case with the one I am involved with. In fact it was quite allusive. So I am not making assumptions, but I do not mean to shit on this parade either...I have been supporting prog for some 40 years. I mentioned that I applaude the idea, but damn be realistic! You mentioned that you opened for SB in Europe and paid your own way....I think you are one of the few prog bands in the world that could afford to do that. When this lineup was first announced and I saw some of the venues I knew immediately there was a problem, and so did others. And whether you like my comments or not.... geez it did bring out some of the unspoken truths. There will not be 5 or 6 bands a night, there will be no pay for the supporting acts, and the supporting acts will be playing a max of 40 minutes.(the promoter had mentioned 20-40 minutes) And you know if you are in the business it can take up to an hour to set up or break down many of these bands..not all, but certainly some. I think the paying consumer who you are trying to attract deserves to know at the least some of these logistical issues and what they are getting for their money.... maybe I am more pragmatic and not so "cool" anymore.

I will be at probably more than one of these shows, you have some great acts including SOC and I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by Proghound; 07-08-2013 at 10:52 PM.

got my tix for the Atl show. looking forward to it!

Any word on any additional bands for Sellersville?

Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Hi Dave,

There is a very distinct chance of losing money on a prog tour
    I think you are pretty optimistic here - I remember Roine Stolt from the Flower Kings saying that their tours always lose money. As far as I remember, this was not only the US tours (which are more expensive due to the distances) but also the European tours. And since TFK is more "established" than Sound of Contact, I can't really see the financial side of this tour being better than for the TFK tours - so I highly doubt that any band will make a profit on this tour.

(To clarify, I haven't seen any numbers, I only know what Roine Stolt said.)

Anyway, I hope this tour is a great success, and I'd love to be there! Unfortunately, there's this big body of water between me and all the shows :-) I'm sure everyone will enjoy the shows, and it would be nice if some kind of professional recording would eventually find its way here!

Henning

Good point Henning. Thanks.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    but if there is a Chicago show on the 19th
    I’m waiting patiently for news on this one with fingers crossed. Otherwise, I’ll travel to the other side of the state and see the show with Moonflower Dunnery and Tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I’m waiting patiently for news on this one with fingers crossed. Otherwise, I’ll travel to the other side of the state and see the show with Moonflower Dunnery and Tiles.
    Yesterdays email from the Arcada theater (Chicago/St Charles, IL) did list the Sept 19th show with SOC...

Can't wait for the Atlanta Show!!!! I am really PUMPED about this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Yesterdays email from the Arcada theater (Chicago/St Charles, IL) did list the Sept 19th show with SOC...
    Official announcement coming this week!

The St Charles (Chicago) show has been announced as “SOC, FD and surprise guests”. I can only ponder who this might be…perhaps Mr. H. will be in town a day early??

Boing! Choice seats purchased...my credit card is screaming but my head is reeling. It is going to be a fantastic 3 days in St. Charles.

Fox on the Fox and the Musical talent of so many! I can't wait.

http://www.onthefox.com/stcharles/

Most of the support bands on this tour are local to the place they are playing or they have the means to get to the gig and want to do it (if they didn't or couldn't we'd find another band that could). The headliners of the tour who are traveling to all the cities have to rent a tour bus. That alone is an incredibly high cost itself. I'm personally amazed and again it's no wonder there aren't more progrock tours especially in the US where everything is spread out. The tour bus alone is cost prohibitive and so would flights and hotels be let alone back line, advertising, crew, a sound man, lighting, merch people and everything else that goes into a tour. It is a massive difference in risk especially because it's not just for one show relative to the support band's costs to be at one show but the risk of the entire tour which is over 6 figures. Not something too many bands can handle losing. Oh and I wouldn't assume there are huge guarantees either. You don't know that. There is a very distinct chance of losing money on a prog tour and I applaud any band and label who take on that risk so they can bring this type of entertainment to more places around the world.

Like I said, if someone else was putting on a tour like this and taking the risk I'd love to be one of the supports and be able to play not having to take such a risk. 6 of one half a dozen of the other. In fact, we just did that in Europe with Spock's Beard's tour. We not only played for nothing but we chipped in! That's the reality of it all. But, the thing that matters is you're playing a show to as many people as possible... and the only way that is going to happen is if people (especially in this community) are supportive.

Now, whether one likes the announcement of a tour with preliminary bands listed (with a disclaimer that the bands are subject to confirmation) that's up to them. It's possible to wait to buy tickets until the bands are confirmed on the web site per show (which they are now). You can blame me for that instead of some "booking agent" because I wanted to announce the tour while there were venues antsy and already starting to sell SOC/FD tickets. These are the bands we were talking to about doing it and some were confirmed, some were not for specific reasons that aren't meant to be public but generally speaking it isn't what some may assume it to be (as I described earlier). From what I've seen the ones that didn't end up being confirmed for this tour are mutually considered potential acts to be on another one of this nature if this is a success. Everyone from what I've seen has been incredibly cool and supportive so I don't understand where the problem is or that there even needs to be one. It's one thing if someone wants to base their opinion on only partial facts and assumptions but when you have one of the actual people involved here to clarify then... one would hope that would set things straight?

Anyway, whether it's for you or anyone contemplating some of the things mentioned in this thread, I have this point of view to offer for balance. As I said, this IS a really cool thing for the specific prog bands on this tour as well as other prog bands too. We're making an effort to bring more attention to the genre and shows of this type - especially here in the States where there could stand to be more of them like Europe has. If it works for SOC and the bands on this tour it could work for other headliners with other bands. We're experimenting here. Part of the experiment even IS to see if we have the support of a community such as this.
    Thumbs up Dave. Don't let any of this get you down. Now, my only complaint is you're not coming to San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by pete100ca View Post
    Thumbs up Dave. Don't let any of this get you down. Now, my only complaint is you're not coming to San Francisco
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 06:26 PM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Has Oblivion Sun cancelled their appearance at the Regent Theater in Arlington due to Frank's injury? I'll be there either way...

Banned
    Dear friends and fans of Sound of Contact!

Due to delays and complications from the US embassy in the UK, Simon Collins and key SOC personnel were unable to obtain work visas in time to perform with Sound of Contact in the upcoming YEStival in Camden, New Jersey this Saturday.

We also deeply regret to inform everyone that as of today, we must postpone our North American tour this August / September until Spring next year.

Logistical issues derived from VISA complications and low ticket sales in a few locations have impacted on our ability to effectively honor all dates at this time.

We sincerely apologize for the disappointment and potential inconvenience that this may cause.

Please know that we have every intention of re-grouping and re-scheduling as many of the dates as possible. We look forward to seeing you all next year!

Simon, Dave and Matt

Special Event: Simon and Dave from SOC play Genesis songs with Steve Hackett!
    September 20th Arcada Theater – St. Charles, Illinois
    Simon Collins, Dave Kerzner & Francis Dunnery guest in Steve Hackett’s Genesis Revisited
    note: SOC will not be performing on Sept 20th, only Steve Hackett with special appearances by Simon and Dave on songs like “Supper’s Ready” and more.
    http://www.soundofcontact.com/tour-dates/