Thread: Going For The One SACD

Going For The One SACD

Did any one else pick this up?

Ever since I upgraded my CD/DVD player, I been doing a lot more exploring of SACDs. GFTO is one of my favorite Yes releases - it's probably the one I play most often. I've got several versions on both vinyl and CD but there's not a single one of them that I find really pleasing. For one, the music tends to sound really dense and bunched. I've also never been enamored by the low end.

At any rate, my SACD arrived today, and my initial impression is pretty favorable. Though it's still not an incredible sounding recording, the music "breathes" on the SACD. I think the low end too is much improved. Interestingly, it's a really low "output" SACD - by that I mean you really have to crank up your amp to get volume. When you do, though, it's a treat. Recommended.
    Last edited by Father Tiresias; 06-26-2013 at 08:11 AM.

I've ordered it and look forward to checking it out. I was a bit disappointed in the HDtracks version and felt it was no better than the old Atlantic CD from the 80s that can be had for a fiver. If the tapes are that bright, I'm hoping Hoffman tamed that high end.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I'm hoping Hoffman tamed that high end.
    You don't want a flat transfer??? Hell just froze over.

I'd like to know if it's better than the Japanese pressing. I haven't listened to it since I got it a few years ago, so I need to break that out again.
    I'm guessing the SACD is stereo only? Would love to hear Awaken in 5.1.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I'm guessing the SACD is stereo only? Would love to hear Awaken in 5.1.
    Me too. That's what I was wondering. GFTO in surround!

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    You don't want a flat transfer??? Hell just froze over.

If the tapes sound like the HDtracks version, then no.

But that version doesn't say it's a flat transfer, so "Hell" might still have a chance at survival.

The only way the album is going to sound better is a remix and frankly I'm not sure that will even help much. Squire's bass is so thin sounding that apart from him going back into the studio and re-cutting his parts I think it is what it is.

It's not because it's an SACD. It's because the mastering is different.

Anyway, a mix this drenched in cheesy mid-70s reverb needs to be remixed to surround. That is probably going to happen soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I'd like to know if it's better than the Japanese pressing.
    If you mean one of those crappy Japanese mini lp pressings, I can already answer "Yes" without even having heard Hoffman's version.

GFTO is one of those songs that I never liked when I was younger... I used to actually skip it. FOR SHAME!
    I should get progged with a stick... ! Anyway this song is really something... I have worked on the vocals with our bassist and keyboardist and they have Squire's brilliant harmony vocals for this song. Its this harmony that seems to bring this song to life... We have not worked it all out yet but it looks like it will be one of the go to songs as we update our current show material.

This version is getting some rave reviews.

Really looking forward to it.

I don't think the original mix is good, but I'd rather hear what can be done with it by someone like Hoffman as opposed to some remix with less reverb and a completely different sound.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I don't mind the reverb. It gives GFTO sort of a "dream pop" effect.

This version is getting some rave reviews.

Really looking forward to it.

I don't think the original mix is good, but I'd rather hear what can be done with it by someone like Hoffman as opposed to some remix with less reverb and a completely different sound.
    Jeff, I'd temper your expectations. Though the folks over at Hoffman are gushing, my ears tell me merely that the SACD is a welcome improvement, but it certainly doesn't transform GFTO into an "audiophile experience," as one sycophant put it over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    Jeff, I'd temper your expectations. Though the folks over at Hoffman are gushing, my ears tell me merely that the SACD is a welcome improvement, but it certainly doesn't transform GFTO into an "audiophile experience," as one sycophant put it over there.
    My expectations aren't much, to be honest.

But I did read a few things that gave me hope. Namely, that the high end is now far more bearable. That's really my main concern.

Of course, I realize that Hoffman's cult will typically act like any version of an album before he got his hands on it was done by someone who had no idea what he was doing and was working with a 10th generation source tape. Any EQ moves he made were wrong, and only Steve knew what the album needed.

So ...

I'm hoping Hoffman tamed that high end.
    He said on his forums that he would find the bass, so it won't be a flat transfer.
    The HDTracks was disappointing, so I hope SH can polish this particular turd.

did anybody got a chance to actually listen to the Hoffman version ?
    If its good, ill get it because i consider it to be a great Yes album.