Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nits (long-standing Dutch rock band)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Go fund me-action for The Nits: https://gofund.me/fe893412
    A "thank you"-clip from Nits for those who contributed to the Go Fund Me Action:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does “Nits” mean something over there that it doesn’t mean in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does “Nits” mean something over there that it doesn’t mean in the US?
    It's not an existing word, but it may mean something for the band-members.
    I couldn't find anything about the meaning in this nice piece on the first years of the band: http://www.nits.nl/the_first_10_years.html

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    It's not an existing word, but it may mean something for the band-members.
    I couldn't find anything about the meaning in this nice piece on the first years of the band: http://www.nits.nl/the_first_10_years.html
    I couldn't find anything about it in their biography from 1989.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here "nits" refers to Head Lice eggs.

... or, colloquially, something minor and unimportant, as in "nit-picking." I suspect that was the meaning they were going for.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    ... or, colloquially, something minor and unimportant, as in "nit-picking." I suspect that was the meaning they were going for.
    Could be. It only misses the letter "e" from the Dutch word "niets" which means "nothing".
    The band started in 1974 as The Nits and left "The" out of the name in 1989.
    So maybe it stands for multiple "lous"="nit".

They have a new album out. Yesterday my newspaper had an interview with them. Henk Hofstede seems to have a disease that influence his voice.

This was a few months ago and the first public performance since the fire at their Werf complex and Henk's illness. The three of them have been together for such a long time now and you can see they have a special bond together. This must have been quite a moment for Henk to see if he could still pull it off and I love the two thumbs up at the end of Nescio by drummer Rob Kloet. I found that moment very moving .

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post

This was a few months ago and the first public performance since the fire at their Werf complex and Henk's illness. The three of them have been together for such a long time now and you can see they have a special bond together. This must have been quite a moment for Henk to see if he could still pull it off and I love the two thumbs up at the end of Nescio by drummer Rob Kloet. I found that moment very moving .
    Fantastic, thanks for posting. Of cause Robert-Jan Stips wasn't a founding member and joined the group on Omsk. But he produced some of their stuff. The Italian bits in Nescio were supposed to be sung by WilliyAlberti (a Dutch Italian style lyrical tenor), but his manager opposed to that.
    Nits really deserve a new biography. Perhaps something like the Supersister book. Of cause there is the 1989 book, but well, that's almost 35 years old and falling apart.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:20 AM.