Thread: Oscar Schmidt acoustic bass guitar

Oscar Schmidt acoustic bass guitar

Is this a quality brand of acoustic bass guitars? I have an opportunity to buy one of two; $269 and $213. both cutaways, which is what I want. haven't seen them in person yet but they're available locally.

They're made by Samick in far-off exotic countries like Vietnam and Indonesia. The quality is ok to fair. The only consistent problem I've seen with them is that the necks shrink like crazy if they get too dry. I'm assuming that lack of humidity is not a common problem in "kentuckiana," so I wouldn't worry too much. If you do have a problem, though, you'll feel the frets sticking out on either side of the fretboard and there will be a hump in the neck around the 12th or 14th fret. Check for those things before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingtoexcess View Post
    I'm assuming that lack of humidity is not a common problem in "kentuckiana," .
    that's a riot! Yeah, we generally have an abundance of humidity here. I'll keep those things in mind when I check them out. I suppose I'd be better off in the long run to chase down the Fender acoustic bass at another store. that's $300 and probably better quality, eh?

Not necessarily, but the Fender backed by a much better warranty/company. It's extremely likely the Fender is made in the same factory as the O.S. The $300 range has a lot of variety, brand-wise, but generally all of those guitars are made by a few small overseas guitar makers for other people.