Thread: AAJ Review: John Scofield, Überjam Deux

AAJ Review: John Scofield, Überjam Deux

My review of John Scofield's Überjam Deux, today at All About Jazz.

It's been a decade since Scofield last recorded with his Überjam Band - at last call, rhythm guitarist/sampler Avi Bortnick, bassist Andy Hess and drummer Adam Deitch - but the guitarist and all his younger but now decade older partners have also changed, making Überjam Deux both more of the same (but more like the 2002 Überjam (Verve) than 2003's Up All Night (Verve) and something new. While there's plenty of the jamming that made this Sco's jam band, there's a stronger compositional focus, making it a better blend than the previous two recordings, good as they were.

Well worth hearing, review here.

I've passed on the last couple of Sco albums, but this one sounds interesting. I've always dug his high caliber writing and compositions, so I'm looking forward to hearing some new original material. Thanks for the heads up!

I love Sco's playing and writing, but I haven't been crazy about his "funk/jam band" stuff. I generally like him best when he's in straight-ahead jazz mode, but then again, he made some great fusion albums in the '80s, particularly "Loud Jazz" and "Blue Matter."

Not quite "auto-buy" for me, but I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

I picked up a copy of the CD at a local store last weekend. The music has more of a mainstream soul/funk/R&B sound than the previous two albums, which are a bit more eccentric and produced with electronic/techno/sampled sounds.

I don't really hear any deeper compositional aspect, as J Kelman mentioned in his review. And the melodies aren't as strong as the first two releases, imo. So far, my favorite tracks are Boogie Stupid; Endless Summer; and Curtis Knew. Overall, a solid album, but it doesn't blow me away.

great musician, really nice guy and, well... just a brilliant guitarist. this is certainly getting purchased immediately. i'm a huge fan

thanks for the heads up, John.

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

just bought it and totally dig it already - thanks!

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

My pleasure Kim, glad you like it. Reid, sorry we disagree,but that's cool. For me, I do think the writing is stronger than on the first two uberjam sets, a little more structure and a little less flat-out jam band, though that's still,clearly a big component.

I'm still soaking it up after 6 or 7 spins. As you mentioned, Scofield has a keen musical intuition, and there's not a wasted note. The album is immaculately produced. Sco's guitar playing on Endless Summer is the high point for me. Great groove on that tune as well.

I have only had minimal exposure to Scofield but I saw him a few weeks ago at Vancouver Jazz Festival and really enjoyed the performance. Two nights ago I saw Albert Lee perform and really enjoyed him as well. For both these nights I had a slight sense of what to expect, but of course it was much different than those expectations, and I expected good performances but got more than anticipated. Both nights were so classy in that the music was good and the musicians played for the music rather than being being flashy for the sake of showmanship.

I must check this one out. Thanks!

On a very sad note, Sco's kid has prematurely passed away after battling cancer.

Here is the message about his son:

"After a two year battle with sarcoma, Evan Bingham Scofield, 26, left this world on Saturday morning 06 July 2013. One of Evan's final wishes was to have his ashes scattered in various farflung places by his closest friends and family. Though he traveled widely, there are places he regrets having missed during his life, and places he wished to visit again. A few ash bearers (parents, for example) are able to cover their own expenses, but as most are twentysomethings with limited resources, his family created a PayPal fund in Evan's name to assist in the travel costs. Some might think this frivolous but all that Evan undertook became an art project of sorts. His end will be no different. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to "Evan's Ashes" to support and document this project. It is Evan's vision of an exit that celebrates the epic journey— one of adventure, discovery, and whimsy, the twist and the turn, the joyful embrace of the next step on an unfamiliar road.

www.scatterevan.com to donate"