Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Phil Collins is the best drummer I've played with - Wetton

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Every time he's "Philled-in" on various occasions he's had a left-handed set provided for him.
    Okay. Well, I guess you're the expert then.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've never seen Phil on a right hand setup kit. Doesn't mean it never happened of course.

What about when he played with Sabbath? I don't have the link handy at the moment but was that a leftie kit? I can't remember now...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

When Phil guested with the Musical Box, on the song "The Musical Box," he played on a right handed kit.

Mike

Not true. Phil has never played a right handed kit in a professional context.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Not true. Phil has never played a right handed kit in a professional context.
    And you know this how?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I was a left handed drummer as a teen in the late sixties. Left handers are more ambidextrous than right handers, but I couldn't play a right handed setup without a lot of practice, but I'm not PC either. PC's use of both hands on the set may suggest that he could handle it. If I was interviewing for a job, I would definitely use my own set, even if it was simple. They were looking for a drummer who was sensitive to the acoustic passage. Collins' traditional classical roll is so majestic in those sections. His dynamic range is superb.

Banned
    Re-creating the Motown sound proved a challenge for Collins and his band; they tried various microphones and tambourines to replicate the aesthetic. Health issues also slowed the making of the album, although Collins says that recent hand, elbow and neck surgery has affected his daily life more than his ability to play music. The lightness of the Motown drummers suited his current strengths, and Collins was able to play the drum parts in Going Back, albeit with a little help.

"It's the strength and dexterity of the hand that is my problem," he says. "So when I played the drums on the record, I had to tape the stick to my left hand because I'm left-handed. The right hand was OK, but the left hand had to have the tape."

My mistake, I was misremembering Phil's comments about Martin's kit, about it being right handed versus left handed. Doh!

Mike