Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Tangent Le Sacre Du Travail

I've listened to this album several times now and I love it, but my favorite Tangent album is still The Music That Died Alone. Le Sacre Du Travail will probably end up second place for me though in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    !! Just found this message from Andy on an old Yahoo group message:

Hi Dik...

It's true.. yes we did record this in 96 - you have the correct lineup too. It has never been officially released However, if you were to get hold of a Po90 album called "More Exotic ways to Die" and stick it in your PC computer CD drive you might find more than you would normally expect.

We have never done a T Dream cover....

Andy

I never knew this ... is it really true ? In 1996 Parallel Or 90degrees recorded Pink Floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. Starring Andy Tillison (keyboards,bass,vocal,guitar), Sam Baine (keyboards) & Guy Manning (guitar,vocal). The complete album, so all songs. A hidden track was added a cover af Tangerine Dream.

Andy, others, is this true ? Was this ever published ? Will it be published ?

greetings,
    Dik
    I bought the "More Exotic Ways..." CD in 2002 and never checked the PC files so far. Just put it in my drive now and found two files called DSOTM01 and DSOTM02. I think you guessed what's inside... A very fair rendition of this great P.F classic, especially if played live. Not essential but interesting.

Getting back to "Le Sacre...", after three listenings I can say It's by far the most elaborate work A.T has ever composed and one of his best. I would already rate it amongst the 2013 top Prog Cd's.

And as far as Andy's voice is concerned It might be an acquired taste for some but I prefer it over the hundred's of boring soul-less P.G clones found in current Prog/Neo-Prog productions, I can't even imagine The Tangent with another singer.

Andy has issued the mp3 files for companion album L'Étagere Du Travail for those of us who pre-ordered. Just downloaded and added to my iPod to check out this week.... looking forward to it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Finally got around to L'Étagere Du Travail and it's excellent! Most of it is as good as the album proper. Any fan of The Tangent will want this companion disc for sure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Progatron, I'm one of the preorder guys here, but I decided to wait for the hard copy. I have heard a lot of good comments about this companion disc on The Tangent facebook page. I'm glad to hear another good comment from you here. It's a good year for a Tangent fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gibberish View Post
    Progatron, I'm one of the preorder guys here, but I decided to wait for the hard copy. I have heard a lot of good comments about this companion disc on The Tangent facebook page. I'm glad to hear another good comment from you here. It's a good year for a Tangent fan.
    I was going to wait for the disc, especially since I've been so busy this week and have the usual stack of music to sort through, but I happened to be in a Tangent mood suddenly yesterday so I checked it out. You'll be quite pleased with it when it arrives, I'd think. Andy & co. have never put out an album I didn't like!

Just wondering, are we all still waiting on our hard copies of L'Étagere du Travail? Or did mine somehow go AWOL in the mail? Thx.

Still waiting...I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by skysaw View Post
    Just wondering, are we all still waiting on our hard copies of L'Étagere du Travail? Or did mine somehow go AWOL in the mail? Thx.
    Andy just today posted on Facebook in The Tangent group that they have finally arrived from the factory and that they are going to send them out somewhere next week and beyond. They are basically a two person operation (Andy and Sally) manning Tangent HQ so bear with them.

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Yesterday I received my copy of the companion album "L'Étagere du Travail" - Nice looking set; haven't listened to it yet though since I am still waiting to receive my copy of the main disc "Le Sacre Du Travail". Ordered them at the same time from tangent website. Anyone else still waiting on getting the main disc? Website now says sold out, emails just get an auto reply with the download link for L'Étagere. I like to support my favorite bands by ordering from their site but in this case I would have been better using Amazon; its been out a while now and I can't get my hands on it.

SRS, I pre ordered the set of CD's May 13. I received Le Sacre in June and got the companion disc yesterday. I think if you message The Tangent on their website, they can track it down, or make good of your purchase.

Banned
    I can't believe I don't have a single Tangent recording. Do I start here? I'm loving the tunes I hear on Slacker and Morow.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I can't believe I don't have a single Tangent recording. Do I start here? I'm loving the tunes I hear on Slacker and Morow.
    Then sure, why not? I must say, I like all their albums and would normally suggest starting at the beginning, but if you're loving what you're hearing so far from the latest one, go for it.

Start with desert, Chris, and depending on how good it tastes (I think it's delicious) go back to the entree, then the soup, salad and shrimp cocktail.

There really is a feast to be had from the pen of Andy T.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Start with desert, Chris, and depending on how good it tastes (I think it's delicious)
    I think it tastes like sand and camel dung.

Otherwise, Geezer is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Of the 2013 releases, I have found that L'Etagre is a bit more accessible and more of a grower than Le'Sacre. Both good albums. My favorite earlier Tangent is "World That We Drive Through". "A Place In The Queue" is very good. If you like DVD's, "Going Off On Two" is very good. It is a 2010 live studio recording with a bit of the entire Tangent catologue. Very entertaining. That said, Geezer is right!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Started my first listen to Le'Sacre today. Haven't even finished it, but it's excellent! Love the references to Rush in one track - also thought I detected some musical references to Rush in there too (not certain), and definitely some ELP type sounds as well. Seems like a really good album.

I don't get the people who have a problem with Andy's voice. I think it sounds great - there's someone who he sounds like, and I can't think quite who it is...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Started my first listen to Le'Sacre today. Haven't even finished it, but it's excellent! Love the references to Rush in one track - also thought I detected some musical references to Rush in there too (not certain), and definitely some ELP type sounds as well. Seems like a really good album.

I don't get the people who have a problem with Andy's voice. I think it sounds great - there's someone who he sounds like, and I can't think quite who it is...
    Absolutely! Le'Sacre has so many excellent moments on it, I was really quite bowled over upon hearing it. Much better than the previous two albums, IMHO, although those were far from "bad" of course.

Andy's voice has grown on me a lot over the years, and now I can't picture the Tangent with anyone else as the lead singer. His voice has character.