Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Narrated Prog music albums

The Kinks - Preservation Act 2
    The Plastic People of the Universe - Pašijové Hry Velikonoční / Passion Play
    Spirit - Potatoland

Yet again, narration album is all about creating a concept album...people who promoted punk were selling it to the crowd with attention span of 5 year old...

btw are any of Devill Doll's albums narrated?
    Last edited by Progmatic; 07-01-2013 at 02:01 PM.

1. JW - War of the Worlds
    2. Rick W - Return to the Centre of the Earth - better than the Journey IMO
    3. MB - Hunting of the Snark
    4. Roger W - Radio KAOS
    5. JW - Spartacus
    Last edited by PeterG; 07-01-2013 at 02:15 PM.

I generally don't like this stuff. One of the first things I did upon digitizing my collection was editing out as much of the "Central Scrutinizer" in Joe's Garage that I could without disturbing a significant part of a song, resulting in a version of the album that I actually feel like playing from time to time.

[3. MB - Hunting of the Snark]

Sorry but there's no such album by the Moody Blues. I suppose your PT is Pineapple Thief right?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [3. MB - Hunting of the Snark]

Sorry but there's no such album by the Moody Blues. I suppose your PT is Pineapple Thief right?
    Yea, and my PF is Peter Frampton, my KC is the Sunshine Band, my JT is Jeff Tweedy, my GG is Gang Green, and my ELP is Eddie, Lemmy and Philthy.

Claudia Quintet - What Is The Beautiful. Features poetry by Kenneth Patchen. Takes about 9/10 of the interest out of the record for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Yet again, narration album is all about creating a concept album...people who promoted punk were selling it to the crowd with attention span of 5 year old...

btw are any of Devill Doll's albums narrated?
    Great call.

Devil Doll - Eliogabalus

Last edited by Modry Effekt; 07-07-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Thanks , lot of good suggestions...

btw, is anyone familiar with Ensemble Modern's "Frank Zappa: Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasions"? Is it worthwhile?
    Short answer: definitely worthwile. The music is really well played. That said, I don't care much for the vocal part on Greggery Peccary. Their interpretaion .... well, they just take FZ's idiosyncratic language and style, and turn it a wrong way for me - just to some one-dimensional slapstick... but after several listens and some concentrated effort, even that song is quite enjoyable.

Overall though a great album!!!

Two people that really could pull off FZ's lyrics, sung or spoken: FZ himself and Ike Willis.

I actually quite enjoy narrated music and another great album with narration is Nosferatu by DG 307.

Quote Originally Posted by batis View Post
    Short answer: definitely worthwile. The music is really well played.

I actually quite enjoy narrated music and another great album with narration is Nosferatu by DG 307.
    Thanks Petr...I better check that DG307 album...

Quote Originally Posted by batis View Post
    Two people that really could pull off FZ's lyrics, sung or spoken: FZ himself and Ike Willis.
    On the subject of narration that ruins otherwise-good music, Zappa's lyrics became a net negative for me about the time I turned 17, and got progressively harder to endure from there.

Sonja Kristina of Curved Air Narrates “Alice in Wonderland”

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Neuschwanstein - Alice in Wunderland

This album is now available with English narration by Sonja Kristina:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...42#post1155242

Anyone's Daughter - Piktors Verwandlungen
    Stern Combo Meißen - Weißes Gold (has some narrated parts)

Perhaps certain Gong albums where Daevid Allen is narrating the story, but possibly not consistent enough to consider.

Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time and Live Chronicles where Michael Moorcock is guiding us through the story of Elric.

David Bedford Rigel 9..however its not worth the price of admission. The story is interesting to a degree..particularly the end where Anders cannot prove to his friends on board the spaceship that he met extraterrestrials in the forest and they insist that he is delusional. I get a kick out of that part. One song in particular is in the style of Procol Harum..however the album is a letdown. I have many David Bedford cds and Rigel 9 stands as the worst.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    On the subject of narration that ruins otherwise-good music, Zappa's lyrics became a net negative for me about the time I turned 17, and got progressively harder to endure from there.
    I had to make my own CP3 with as much of the jibber-jabber edited out as I could manage, without wrecking the flow. My bottom 2 releases are probably Thing Fish and 200 Motels. I haven't gotten the new Zagreb/Ljubljana release yet, but I'll probably just buy downloads of the instrumentals.

my Favourite