Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: "Close to the Edge" 5.1 remix by Steven Wilson coming October

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    That video at that link is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I recently heard a bootleg CD made from virgin vinyl, top of the line Ortofon MC, high quality turntable, and captured with high res A/Ds. This was Buckingham Knicks and the music was great and warm. However the channel separation and bass clarity left me wanting more. I'm waiting for more, a transfer from tape to digital and a high res digital master (DVD-a)
    There's a ton of those out there. Prior to the official remasters, there was an entire series of Dr. Ebbett's Beatles needle-drops on the best vinyl versions available. They're stunning. Many bands under that label.

Banned
    "Close to the Edge [Blu-ray]"
    Estimated arrival date: December 03, 2013 - December 06, 2013

ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

"Close to the Edge [Blu-ray]"
    Estimated arrival date: December 03, 2013 - December 06, 2013
    There's some heavy promotion incl. full page ads in Record Collector & Classic Rock for October 20th ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!
    I'm thinking this could be a typo.

What did Jubal MEAN to type then? Yeeuurgghh?

It is still shown with a 10-29 release date on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Close-Edge-Blu...o+The+Edge+5.1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    It is still shown with a 10-29 release date on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Close-Edge-Blu...o+The+Edge+5.1
    Try ordering it.

Hopefully my Best Buy will have the blu-ray. Oct,29 you say?

Got this email today.
    Hi,

Many thanks for ordering the deluxe edition of Yes' Close To The Edge from Burning Shed.

Unfortunately, we've been informed that due to manufacturing issues, this release has been delayed by two weeks.

We will ship the album as soon as we have it in stock and will keep you informed of any more changes to the release date in the unlikely event that it's altered again.

We apologise for any inconvenience this delay may have caused.

Kind regards

Maybe, but most stereo mixes from the earlier 70s are going to be limited if transferred to vinyl. I don't care what the vinyldites say.
    I was just informed by someone in the know, that it is not uncommon for vinyl manufacturers to be sent MP3 files (!!!!) for the vinyl versions. I don't know of specific titles, but for those who think vinyl is da bomb, just to be sure you know that you may well be buying MP3 files on vinyl......

I find it unbelievable, except that my source is 100% reliable.

Wonder how folks on the Hoffman list would react to that little piece of insider info?

I must go and transform into an eagle, that I may be free!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I was just informed by someone in the know, that it is not uncommon for vinyl manufacturers to be sent MP3 files (!!!!) for the vinyl versions. I don't know of specific titles, but for those who think vinyl is da bomb, just to be sure you know that you may well be buying MP3 files on vinyl......

I find it unbelievable, except that my source is 100% reliable.

Wonder how folks on the Hoffman list would react to that little piece of insider info?
    They'd probably question the accuracy of it but they'd be putting their heads in the sand.

But then I've been telling people for ages that some reissue vinyl is digitally sourced from old CDs and or digital files uploaded from labels. Not sure how common it being from MP3s is, but you'd need to be far more specific. The amount of reissue vinyl out there now is way too large to have a statement like this mean much unless it is directed at a specific label. And there is a lot of reissue vinyl out there now that I would think can measurably be proved as sourced from hi-res or analog sources. So it's a statement that could be proved wrong if it were about certain companies.

My preview copies of Close To The Edge arrived today. They look and sound fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Smith View Post
    My preview copies of Close To The Edge arrived today. They look and sound fantastic!
    Huzzah! This will be the inaugural album to break in my new 5.1 system. I can't think of a better choice.

I'm drooling.

if these remixes remove hum in left channel of Relayer/Delerium and what I think to be phasing issues on Tales (mainly vocals on part 2, if I remember correctly) I'll be a happy man. Would like to see confirmation of that before I reinvest in 5.1. Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    if these remixes remove hum in left channel of Relayer/Delerium and what I think to be phasing issues on Tales (mainly vocals on part 2, if I remember correctly) I'll be a happy man. Would like to see confirmation of that before I reinvest in 5.1. Any thoughts on that?
    Tales has a lot of Leslies turning in circles,maybe that's what you're hearing. The Remembering intro has Steve Howe sounding like a Hammond Organ.

Will this play on a regular cd player on a regular stero, and would it be worth it?

Great review in Prog Magazine. The studio run-thru' sounds interesting!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Tales has a lot of Leslies turning in circles,maybe that's what you're hearing. The Remembering intro has Steve Howe sounding like a Hammond Organ.
    It's integral to the sound of the album, and people want that stuff removed?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Will this play on a regular cd player on a regular stero, and would it be worth it?
    This is a 2-disc release. 1 disc is a regular CD and will play on regular devices. The other disc is, depending on which you choose, either a Blu-ray (only plays on Blu-ray players or devices with Blu-rays, like the PS3) or a DVD-A (not certain: I think this plays on most DVD players). To get the full 5.1 effect, you then need your Blu-ray or DVD player to be plugged in to 5 speakers.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Nice article in Prog magazine, Sid.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Nice article in Prog magazine, Sid.

Henry
    That's very kind of you Henry and greatly appreciated!