Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dead Prog Stars ?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    It took 25 posts to get to Syd Barret
    ??? Syd Barrett is mentioned in the opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Originally Posted by Trane
    I'd as soon name his father Tim, much more than the son...
    Gee, you sure do have a way with words. Jeff was great, too. He, like his father, died in a tragic way.
    Yup, this old atheist couldn't help himself

But albums like Lorca, Happy Sad, and Starsailor are definitely proggy in my book.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, this old atheist couldn't help himself

But albums like Lorca, Happy Sad, and Starsailor are definitely proggy in my book.
    Grace is kinda, too. Not to mention, Jeff did a cover of Back In NYC by Genesis.

Would not be easier to list prog rockers who are still alive ?

Marginally prog: (besides Ed Cassidy) there's John Locke and Randy California of Spirit
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Mike Baker of Shadow Gallery. And what about the member of Rennaisance that recently passed? Can't recall his name.

Helmut Kollen of Triumvirat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Mike Baker of Shadow Gallery.
    I was coming here to mention him, easily one of my all-time favorite prog singers gone way too soon.

All the Uriah Heepers: David Byron, Gary Thain, Trevor Boulder

Midnight (Crimson Glory).

I have that "I don't know what I got myself into" feeling. But, I am going through with organizing this YouTube video anyhow. You people are amazing and fantastic with your knowledge. Very daunting! But, I'm trying to keep this video at minutes! There is no way that I can get all the names in with their pictures. In fact, some of these folks mentioned pictures are almost impossible to find because some of the names are rather obscure. So, I have had to make some decisions. I want to keep this video strictly prog-rock/art-rock. Jazz fusion may have to be ommited, but not Weather Report! Prog-Metal is a tough one, because I think I am going to keep the focus on the folks who made progressive Rock in the late 60's and 70's. Sorry, but I can't make this video the equivilant of a double album by Yes. I think I have all the names needed. Now I am beginning the work and it will probably take a long week to squeeze the work in. I'm not exactly reinventing anything, I just felt really sad that many of my heroes have passed in recent years, and the next 5 years is going to be even harder. I may have to update it every year

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Marginally prog: (besides Ed Cassidy) there's John Locke and Randy California of Spirit

John Locke as well????

Though I might have heard of this before.... how ancient is this news???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic Caciappo View Post
    I have that "I don't know what I got myself into" feeling. But, I am going through with organizing this YouTube video anyhow. You people are amazing and fantastic with your knowledge. Very daunting! But, I'm trying to keep this video at minutes! There is no way that I can get all the names in with their pictures. In fact, some of these folks mentioned pictures are almost impossible to find because some of the names are rather obscure. So, I have had to make some decisions. I want to keep this video strictly prog-rock/art-rock. Jazz fusion may have to be ommited, but not Weather Report! Prog-Metal is a tough one, because I think I am going to keep the focus on the folks who made progressive Rock in the late 60's and 70's. Sorry, but I can't make this video the equivilant of a double album by Yes. I think I have all the names needed. Now I am beginning the work and it will probably take a long week to squeeze the work in. I'm not exactly reinventing anything, I just felt really sad that many of my heroes have passed in recent years, and the next 5 years is going to be even harder. I may have to update it every year
    well, then sadly people like Kevin Gilbert wouldn't be eligible.

Alex Harvey
    Peter Leopold (Amon Duul II)

Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post
    I'll add Lars Hollmer (of Samla Mammas Manna) and Alberto Bonomi (of DFA), both of which unfortunately, performed for the last time at FMPM before their death.
    If you include Lars Hollmer, and I hope you do, you might be able to use a quick cut of this awesome DVD performance. I think you can use up to 10 seconds without violating any copyright issues??

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    John Locke as well????

Though I might have heard of this before.... how ancient is this news???

I have finished the video and posted it. know I have omitted names that some suggested, but the song I used was only 5:00 minutes long. With all the suggestions, that meant I made a top 65 (or so) and that reduced all to only 5 seconds each slide. Maybe I should've used a 7:00 minute song! But, at any rate, I hope you kindly approve. I spent a lot of hours and days on this. It wasn't easy, and at times it was rather emotional, especially with Peter Banks being a great friend of mine. I hope you approve.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgQs1t6Kjs

MICK KARN
    DUNCAN BROWNE

I just updated it, so there is a new link. Someone complained that Rhino Reinhardt wasn't included in the titles with the other two late-Iron Butterfly. Honestly, I thought he was a fringe player and iron Butterfly wasn't as "prog rock" as some would say. I thought of them more of a psychedelic rock band. I didn't even include The Doors. Oh well. I could put all the names in! I hope you approve.....

Nic

Wow! Really nice work, Nic. Enjoyed it immensely. I'll be watching it again.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Glad to see people add Jim Capaldi, Brett Douglas and Sean Guerin to the list.

Three artists I have always loved.

I still can't believe that Cairo wasn't bigger than it was. Their first and third CD's are always on heavy rotation at my home/car/ipod.

I loved Jim Capaldi's work both as a solo artist as well as Traffic, although most of his solo output would be a stretch to call prog.

Sean Guerin I felt was just hitting his stride with K2 and his solo work.

And off the original list, Kevin Gilbert. Toy Matinee is also on heavy rotation at my house. Last Plane Out is a masterpiece. Plain and simple. Off his Shaming of the True album, "Staring into Nothing" is fantastic.

B.J. Wilson - Procol Harum...

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Helmut Kollen of Triumvirat.
    My favorite musician, living or dead, and a musical guiding light in my life.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen