Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asia - Live with new guitarist Sam Coulson

Asia - Live with new guitarist Sam Coulson

Opening tune from the Sweden Rock Festival.

Funny, the youtube uploader mentions this fact but barely captured him. Sounds good. A metal infused, youth injected Asia is the result. CP of course shines. Some other videos. Enjoy-

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

They do sound good (I'll never be a fan of Coulson's metal antics, though). Wetton is just amazingly strong these days, and it's nice to see a band of oldsters proving that advancing age and slower tempos don't have to go together.

Just hate the metal tone on the Howe tunes. Really, what would it take to cop the style?
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTheMama View Post
    Just hate the metal tone on the Howe tunes. Really, what would it take to cop the style?
    So, you want him to sound like Steve? I think that Sam's tones gives Asia balls.

i think the kid is doing just fine. i could hear a few moments where the other three got caught up into listening to him play and missed changes in their parts.

John Wetton sounds freaking phenomenal these days. He has defied the laws of getting old. Very inspirational.

its all good!

To me the jury is still out on Sam. I did not like what I heard from the first night, but I did think he sounded better in the above show. I too don't like his tone, but I am sure he is trying to give the songs his own touch. If they wanted a Howe clone, I guess they could've asked Jimmy Haun.

From what I have read, they wanted Paul Gilbert (Racer X/Mr. Big), so it seems this metal tone is what the band wanted. It may give Asia "balls", but I think Howe gave them an element that really distinguished them from other melodic-rock/arena-rock bands. Band still sounds good, but more ordinary to my ears.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From what I have read, they wanted Paul Gilbert (Racer X/Mr. Big), so it seems this metal tone is what the band wanted. It may give Asia "balls", but I think Howe gave them an element that really distinguished them from other melodic-rock/arena-rock bands. Band still sounds good, but more ordinary to my ears.
    They sound heavier with Sam. People say that Asia is soft, even when Steve was in the band.

The new guitarrist don't add more class or charm, just more hard edge. Your solos sounds very metal cliché. The tempo of the songs is now much better

Hmmm, the guy's a good player, but that only thing I've got from those clips is to be reminded just what a bloody awful song 'Go' is!

I like the energy of "Sole Survivor". Did JJ Abrams shoot this video? Lens flares!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    So, you want him to sound like Steve? I think that Sam's tones gives Asia balls.
    You and Geoff Downes both. I think it makes the band very average, but I also realize some people like that. Let me stress that Sam is a fine guitarist. But I think he could put a personal spin on the music while still engaging the style a little more. Btw, what's so personal about his playing? What I heard is pretty off-the-rack.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus

To be honest, it's hard to tell with these clips. Right now he's playing the dots. The real telling moment will be "Valkyrie," though I don't have any high hopes. Wetton and Downes will have strong opinions on how not to rock the boat, and it'd take a really strong personality with some leverage to get in any outside-the-box musical ideas. Heck, they managed to water Howe down by the time of "XXX."

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    To be honest, it's hard to tell with these clips. Right now he's playing the dots. The real telling moment will be "Valkyrie," though I don't have any high hopes. Wetton and Downes will have strong opinions on how not to rock the boat, and it'd take a really strong personality with some leverage to get in any outside-the-box musical ideas. Heck, they managed to water Howe down by the time of "XXX."
    Pat Thrall put his own personality on the songs during his tenure in the 90'S . Saw them live but somehow his style didnt suit the music for me !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Howe was watered down by Alpha. This is the problem.

I don't expect much from Valkyrie. I love both Wetton and Downes, but man, I wish they'd just explore what made the debut so much greater than all that's come since instead of striving to chart a single on the Adult Contemporary charts.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    You and Geoff Downes both. I think it makes the band very average, but I also realize some people like that. Let me stress that Sam is a fine guitarist. But I think he could put a personal spin on the music while still engaging the style a little more. Btw, what's so personal about his playing? What I heard is pretty off-the-rack.
    I don't get why you lumped me in with Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Howe was watered down by Alpha. This is the problem.

I don't expect much from Valkyrie. I love both Wetton and Downes, but man, I wish they'd just explore what made the debut so much greater than all that's come since instead of striving to chart a single on the Adult Contemporary charts.
    I thought that they did that on XXX? I don't think that Asia has ever done anything for commercial reasons. They just do what Asia does best. Maybe the infusion of new blood will make a different Asia. Al Pitrelli is a metal guy, and I love his playing on Aria.

I don't think that Asia has ever done anything for commercial reasons.
    You can't be serious. What do you imagine, that these guys just play for the sheer joy of making music, commerce be damned? I have no issues with musicians having commercial concerns, since almost all do--except for those who expect to make little money (for whatever reason). But artists have to make a living.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus

Banned
    You can't be serious. What do you imagine, that these guys just play for the sheer joy of making music, commerce be damned? I have no issues with musicians having commercial concerns, since almost all do--except for those who expect to make little money (for whatever reason). But artists have to make a living.
    Like I've said many times before, Asia simply just mixed the ingredients that made up their previous bands:the bombast of ELP, the orchestral touch of Yes, the contrasts of King Crimson, and the new wave poppiness of The Buggles. The result did not always work, but I'm glad that Asia does what it does. It would be pretty boring for to sound exactly like their parent bands.

Owner of a Horse and Cart
    Meh.

history has proven that Steve Howe is replaceble. but now it's not the 'Original Asia'

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    history has proven that Steve Howe is replaceble. but now it's not the 'Original Asia'
    it's a hell of a lot more original than that other incarnation

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    history has proven that Steve Howe is replaceble.
    Someone should really tell that to Steve Howe...

Everyone in Asia has been replaced at one time or another. Which of those worked well, that's a matter of opinion.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I don't think that Asia has ever done anything for commercial reasons.
    Love Asia, but this is just silly.

Wetton will tell anyone who wants to hear it that he wanted hits.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Love Asia, but this is just silly.

Wetton will tell anyone who wants to hear it that he wanted hits.
    Ok. What about Geoff, Carl, and Steve? I thought that Wetton just wanted Asia to be the prog Beatles. The Beatles had hits, but it was always on their own terms. All I'm saying is if you just want "the hits", I don't think that would lead to the 30 year career that Asia has. They must enjoy playing the songs, and playing together. Besides, when was the last time that Asia had a "hit"?